2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
bennevis, But milk contains a high percentage of saturated fat, which leads to high cholesterol and increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. Humans still haven't evolved to cope with this problem......

You know, I consume a fair amount of fat in my diet ... all kinds of animal fat, dairy fat, and vegetable fat. It's interesting that my blood chemistry is excellent.

When I went back to my family doctor three weeks ago to pick up the results of my blood work, the doctor's assistant advised me to watch the amount of fat I consume but she only mentioned that after I told her about the diet I follow ... low carbs, high fat (and no starches).

I had the results of the blood work in my hand and just waved them at her. If animal fat is so bad, why is my blood chemistry measurably excellent?

There's an explanation for that ... and I have a life outside of this forum. smile

Maybe you have good genes. Some people are born lucky that way.

I won't ask you what your cholesterol and HDL and LDL and TG levels are grin, but we know that mammals - mice to rabbits to elephants to whales to, er, humans are born with a cholesterol level of around 3 mmol/l - which don't rise if you stay on a fish and veg and fruit and grains/nuts (and no junk food of any sort) diet throughout your life, e.g. if you live in rural Japan. (Or if you're a wild animal, eating natural wild foods).

But in most countries, your cholesterol level starts rising as soon as you're weaned. The reasons are obvious.

If music be the food of love, play on!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
When did I say that it was conclusive? It's not. That's the point.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
piano joy, I'm not a health nut but it does seem odd that only humans continue to drink milk beyond childhood ... and the milk isn't even from our own species. I never gave that any thought until I started reading about nutrition.

That's not true. We are just the only creatures that harvest milk. Put a bowl of milk down in front of a cat or dog and watch.

D
OP Offline
D
Sugar makes us stupid, Omega 3's protects the mind. This should be common sense by now.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...high-fructose-corn-syrup-health-science/

"Cherbuin says that we still do not fully understand all the factors involved in regulating blood sugar levels. We do know enough to say that poor diet, lack of exercise, and constant stress likely play a leading role in maintaining unhealthily high levels, he says.

"It is this chronic exposure to high glucose levels that is more likely to lead to poorer brain health," he says."

Read more.
http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20120904/normal-blood-sugar-levels-may-harm-brain

It's not brain sugary!

Last edited by DAVE_250; 12/12/12 07:28 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
What the helll? When did "charlie" become DAVE_250?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

D
OP Offline
D
I play several instruments, so I am a member in a few forums, and this is a universal question.

Keep my identity secret please , I am also in a batman forum

Last edited by DAVE_250; 12/12/12 09:31 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
That doesn't answer why your name on this forum just changed from Charlie to Dave during a 2 year break.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

D
OP Offline
D
No answer for yah. I probably changed it two years ago.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by DAVE_250
[...] I am also in a batman forum

A forum devoted to those in service of a British military officer? Who knew?!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
piano joy, I'm not a health nut but it does seem odd that only humans continue to drink milk beyond childhood ... and the milk isn't even from our own species. I never gave that any thought until I started reading about nutrition.

That's not true. We are just the only creatures that harvest milk. Put a bowl of milk down in front of a cat or dog and watch.

Why would I want to place a bowl of milk in front of a watch?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by bennevis

Everyone is predisposed to gaining weight - if they are surrounded by plenty, which we are now. 20 years ago, there were hardly any obese people in China: go to Beijing and see what it's like now. Not quite as bad as in USA and UK, but they're catching up very quickly. The same for the big rich cities in otherwise poor countries (including all African countries). The genes haven't changed - it' the environment that has. But homo sapiens haven't adapted: it now requires an effort (controlling the amount we eat) to stay slim.

I don't think the rise in obesity means that people are predisposed to gaining weight - it just means that if the environment and culture changes in certain ways, the general population will gain weight. But that is not a predisposition to gain weight, genetically speaking.

Said differently - if eating a lot of junk makes a person fat, it may be because they are eating junk, rather than because they have some predisposition towards weight gain.

Numerous studies have consistently shown that when people (of any age) are given easy access to a large variety and amounts of appetizing foods/junk, they'll eat more. Which is what we're faced with today. It's not just junk food either. Excess calories cannot be 'disposed of' - the body has to store it, as fat. If necessary, we'll develop more fat cells to accomodate (which won't disappear when we no longer require them). We'll even store fat in organs like the liver: NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) is becoming almost an epidemic in Western countries, and overtaking alcohol-related liver disease in some areas...

Of course - it's sort of a no-brainer. Since scarcity has been more common than excess throughout most of human existence, it is no surprise that we have, as a species, evolved to store up calories when we are presented with the opportunity to do so.

I'm not convinced that would be a "predisposition" in the same sense that I meant it when I said I was genetically predisposed to be slender. That individual genetic trait I have is, in fact, something of a counterbalance to the general trend of adding on the pounds.

And if Deborah had her genome sequenced, she might find that her sense about how weight gain works in her family would be verified by some specific genetic data. Or it could turn out that her genome did not especially predispose her towards weight gain, over the usual kind that you describe (at least at the current level of genetic knowledge, which is far from comprehensive). But, absent any further information, there is no reason to assume that her perception is solely attributable to the same type of weight gain that is seen in the general population in the industrialized countries.

B
B
Originally Posted by wr

I'm not convinced that would be a "predisposition" in the same sense that I meant it when I said I was genetically predisposed to be slender. That individual genetic trait I have is, in fact, something of a counterbalance to the general trend of adding on the pounds.

Human beings, unlike other species, aren't slaves to our genes. But for some people, it's still harder than for others to stay slim/lose weight. Some people are more attracted to eating than others, just as some people have addictive personalities.

The notion that some slim people can eat anything they want (and lots more than fat people), yet still remain slim, has been comprehensively debunked by numerous controlled studies. Self-reported so-called 'studies' are the source of this myth. How many people are able to spend 24 hours/day in the company of dieticians who can monitor exactly how many calories they are eating? A study I read recently showed that fat people under-report how much they ate by between 50 - 400%, while slim people tend to be more accurate, but still under-report generally. A lot of the 'missing calories' are from mindless snacking (which can be healthy fruit as well as unhealthy cookies, but they are all calories....) while watching TV, in between meals, with coffee breaks, while cooking and nibbling etc; others come from the under-estimation of how much food they are actually eating at mealtimes, or simply not realizing that what they are eating is a lot, lot more than 'one portion'. (BTW, a portion of steak/meat/fish is the size of a pack of cards).

I was a chubby (OK, somewhat fat grin) child, because my parents always tried to pile up the children's plates (like most people, I like to blame others for my problems...) with the admonishment that 'children are starving in Africa', therefore I shouldn't waste any food and should clear my plates. (My young mind couldn't grasp that linking one with the other made no sense...). I was hopeless at any sports at school, so turned to music and chess and the theory of relativity instead. My brother ballooned to some 300lb (he died two years ago at the age of 49 from a stroke due to hypertension and undiagnosed diabetes); I was lucky in that I lived my own life and didn't get too fat, because I was (and still am) a hopeless cook but didn't like the taste of fast food, nor of snack products. And what really changed was when I took up hiking, then mountaineering, then discovered that the best way to keep myself fit for the mountains was to run - preferably on hilly ground. But running isn't easy (for myself, or for onlookers pretending not to notice.... grin) when you're overweight, so I set out to lose weight - by eating consistently less at the two main meals I have everyday. Breakfast was spared from pruning. The running itself didn't shed any more pounds - even when I was running 60 miles/week when training for the London Marathon (of which I've run four so far), I didn't lose a single pound, partly because I refuelled with orange juice after every run: it was the downsizing of my portion sizes that achieved the weight loss.

In the UK, those in government are so PC and sensitive to the public's 'feelings' that they equate losing weight with exercise rather than eating less (and instead of telling people to stop eating so much, they beat about the bush by saying we should all eat more 'healthily', as if calories from a 'healthy' veggie burger is somehow less fattening than the same calories from an 'unhealthy' Big Mac), yet it's a hopeless endeavor for anyone to achieve any significant weight loss without actually cutting down their food intake (in calorie terms). For instance, to lose one pound of fat, the average person would have to walk or run 35-40 miles. How many obese people can walk one mile? Yet it's very easy to eat the 3500 calories (= 1 lb fat) in one sitting: I've scoffed over 4500 calories in one meal (after running a marathon, or climbing a mountain) numerous times.... grin

And a recent study has shown that the reason why today's children are getting so overweight is not because children are exercising less than they did 30 years ago - in fact the average amount of daily exercise that children do today is about the same as then (despite all those computer games etc) - but simply because they are eating more; much more than they did 30 years ago. Many children under 10 are eating more than adults did 30 years ago. The average daily calorie intake of American adults today is around 3500.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And a recent study has shown that the reason why today's children are getting so overweight is not because children are exercising less than they did 30 years ago - in fact the average amount of daily exercise that children do today is about the same as then (despite all those computer games etc) - but simply because they are eating more; much more than they did 30 years ago. Many children under 10 are eating more than adults did 30 years ago. The average daily calorie intake of American adults today is around 3500.....

There are many variations to that theme, but that's basically it along with the added insult of fructose.

Soda and fruit drinks in the US are loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Fructose is metabolized differently in the body than sucrose and repeated exposure to fructose can lead to leptin resistance.

Hundreds of years ago a sugar treat was really a treat and didn't impact on the health of a nation. Today we have access to all kinds of 'treats' and they've become a necessity, a staple of our diet. Thirty percent of the US population is obese and we have HFCS to thank.

Getting back to exercise, three of four years ago I joined a gym expressly to lose weight. A friend of mine told me that two things would happen, my weight would stay exactly the same and my legs would get thick. That's exactly what happened.

While we all know that to lose weight we have to consume fewer calories, there is a difference between them - a calorie is not a calorie.

After reading a few books on this and watching countless videos, I have much more empathy for obese folks. No one really wants to be fat ... and knowing what to eat and what to avoid is the key. For me, it was the talk by Gary Taubes, Why We`Are Fat, that opened my eyes. Once I understood what happens at the cellular level, I could easily manage my own diet.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
only humans continue to drink milk beyond childhood

Put a bowl of milk down in front of a cat or dog, then watch.

Maybe the edit above will help you understand. At first I assumed you thought you were being humorous but it could be you don't understand how to make a list.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
only humans continue to drink milk beyond childhood

Put a bowl of milk down in front of a cat or dog, then watch.

Maybe the edit above will help you understand. At first I assumed you thought you were being humorous but it could be you don't understand how to make a list.

Well, I thought what Dave wrote was "funny"! I laughed!

Just like I thought this was funny. Sad...but funny!
And I wonder what the "NEXT Generation" down the road is going to look like.

[Linked Image]

Sorry I couldn't resist! grin . . . TAXI !!!!!!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I understood what you meant ... and you understood what I meant.

Most folks would have smiled. You didn't.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Dave, I thought what you wrote was most funny! I smiled. I laughed actually! grin

Don't worry I think some people just lack humour.
And I just think Batman should look like this ! OH YES I do!
AND BATMAN, if you get this message. CALL ME! . . . grin

[Linked Image]

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
The issue for me is what can I put on my raisin bran other than milk?
(I don't like soy milk) I noticed that in the USA, the obsession with
putting cheese on practically everything! the waitress asked, do I want
cheese on my eggs, french fries, hash browns etc.. cheese obsessed!! LOL!

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
The issue for me is what can I put on my raisin bran other than milk?

This guy has an idea that might work for you... (at 25 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJ02VB5Evk

Forrest

p.s. I guess from the Hoffman quotes thread my enjoyment of this song puts me squarely in the 'amateur' camp.

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Diane...

And I just think Batman should look like this ! OH YES I do!
AND BATMAN, if you get this message. CALL ME! . . . grin

[Linked Image]

1+
And,if Diane's not home, call ME!
I promise to wear a catwoman suit!

wait- I'm sorry, what was this thread about again?

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission