2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hello all, I am new to Pianoworld forum and very grateful to amazing advice found here. I had to sign up because I want to learn more from you and grow in my skill – no better place than here IMO. So, with that in mind, this is my first post.

This is my story (sorry in advance for long post):

1. My desire: I have been shopping a home digital piano for about a year now. I have a budget between $2k-3K. This is a lot of money for me but it is worth every penny to feed my passion for piano.

2. My skill level: I have been playing piano for about 20 years, blessed to play by ear. I can’t begin to tell you how much pleasure it is to learn a song and play it for as many people as I can. A pro might be very judgmental of my talent, but my listeners seem very happy and impressed when I play. Either way – I don’t care, just love to play as much as can.

3. My situation: I have been playing a semi-old Yamaha P22 studio since 1997ish. Nothing fancy , but I loved that piano and had to give it up when I moved to Boston last year. I miss it so much past year that I started shopping for another the minute I moved here. Do to my situation; a digital piano is my best option. I never owned a digital piano before, so I have been reviewing and tested between Yamaha, Roland, and Kawai digital pianos. Wow, technology is amazing with all three!

4: Final choice: trying to make a long story short; after trying MANY digital pianos, I felt that Kawai digital pianos seemed to be the best (for me) in quality, action, and sound, especially the CA65 & CA95, but as you know – very expensive. The dealer said he would sell me the CA65 for $2,975. Pefect! In my price range, action the same, sounds exactly the same as CA95 (w/ headphones), etc. Done deal – so I thought…

5: Conundrum: So after playing the CA65 on three separate occasions totaling about 6 hours of play I was ready to purchase. I went to the dealer last Friday with cash in hand to purchase the CA65. The dealer was with a client so I had a little time to kill. I was poking around his shop and sat in front of the Kawai ES7. I thought it looked like a nice portable so I thought I would play it just to kill some time. Well, all I can say is HOLY S*** - THIS IS AWESOME! Action, sound, size, simplicity, technology, price ($1.899), etc, etc. I immediately bonded with this gorgeous piano and played it for a ½ hour. The dealer finished his meeting and met with me. I told him how much I loved the ES7 and he agrees Kawai did a great job upgrading from the ES6. I continued to play it for about another 90 minutes and did not want to stop.

6: Conclusion: I did not buy the CA65 or the ES7 because now I am so confused. I love both pianos. Don’t care about size, portability, or looks. Whatever I chose will permanently remain in my modest den. I told the dealer I will let him know next week and buy either or.

Help: please give me any thoughts if your own or familiar with either CA65 & ES7. I really cant decide. I don’t care about many feature such as rhythms and multiply sounds. Just want a great piano sound and feel in a solid digital piano. I truly appreciate your time. This is a big decision for me as I plan to have this piano for many years.

Thanks, Marko

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 12/13/12 07:33 AM.
S
S
i think you answered your own questions - sounds like the es7! Both are awesome - i think you are paying for the better action/speakers in the Ca65 - but both actions are good.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Marko, welcome to the forum!

The ES7's specifications are very strong, however the CA65 is undoubtedly the superior instrument in terms of tonal quality and action realism. If you do not intend to use the ES7's rhythm section feature, nor require a portable instrument, the CA65 is arguably the better choice.

By the way, it sounds like the dealer in Boston is a great store! For me, the positive experience that you've had underlines the value of 'bricks and mortar' stores. Of course, buying online is all well and good, but when it comes to making decisions about a new piano on a subjective, personal level, there's absolutely no substitute for being able to sit down and play the instrument for an extended period.

Anyway, best of luck with your decision.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I own the CA-63 and loved the action but not a big fan of the sound through the built-in speakers. I spent the last year trying to find a way to get a sound I like via software and/or external speakers. I got to a place that was fair but not what I really wanted.

A few days ago I purchased the ES7 and my initial reaction was similar to yours ... great key action and great sound.

After having played it for awhile I have come off that initial "high" and have found that the sound, although very good, is not as good as I play with more volume (loudness). It can begin to get a little thin. Considering the small onboard speakers, this is not to be unexpected.

I am now looking into additional components (equalizers, external speakers, mixers, etc ...) which may help with this.

That said, I could (and very well, may) leave it as is. The speakers are not bad as is. I will make one run at better and then leave it alone.

In all other respects, I like it very much ... especially the rhythms that come with the instrument. Also, I can insert a USB device containing MIDI accompaniments to play along with. That is very nice also.... for me.

Last edited by dmd; 12/13/12 12:13 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you all for quick response:

mitzysman: It does sound like I answered my own question, however, I might just be on the initial "high" that dmd mentioned.

dmd: it sure was a "high" playing that awesome board. You might have a point about loudness though. I like to crank it occasionally. I noticed a tiny bit of distortion when hitting lower keys loudly. Maybe a sub woofer would help the small-ish speaker sound.

Kawai James: I agree that the CA65 is the far superior of the two, but both are of the same ilk for sure. Both are so nice in overall quality , just different in class. ie. like comparing a Mercedes E class to a Mercedes C class - both near perfect just different size and features. Does that makes sense?

Online Content
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Both are so nice in overall quality , just different in class. ie. like comparing a Mercedes E class to a Mercedes C class - both near perfect just different size and features. Does that makes sense?

Yes, that's a good analogy.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Any other CA65 or ES7 owners out there want to chime in? Im interested in what your decision making process was just before you bought your Kawai. Also, your current experience like what dmd wrote about. I appreciate your help as I hope to make a purchase this weekend.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think you had better go and play them some more. Take your own headphones this time; maybe, in preparation, download the user manuals from the Kawai website and pore over them a bit.

I use outboard speakers by Yamaha (plus a subwoofer) when I want to have the sound 'in the room,' with my MP8ii. Not everyone would care for the look, but it sure delivers.

Kawai is a fine make, with very good customer service. Just go back and play yourself blue in the face--- and if you still aren't sure, do it again another day. James' advice is well-considered, but you have to decide for yourself.

Clef

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Jeff, that is great advice and exactly what I plan to do after work today. I did use my Bose headphones with me last few times. Both sound SO good - which makes so hard to choose. Funny, Im so caught up in playing both pianos that I did not even think of downloading manuals. Good call! Doing it right now.

M
M
You should take the one that feels better regardless the price (within your budget of course :-)
The most important aspect of a digital is the keys. Everything else can be enhanced afterwards (active boxes, VSTi etc). The ES7 has the PH2, the CA65 the GrandFeel action. Both feel very different. I tried both at a local store and liked the PH2 more than the GrandFeel. That's a very subjective feeling and i'm not a very experienced player. Also my Teacher has an upright with a similar feel. Quite heavy action. In comparison the GrandFeel felt sluggish. If my Teacher had a Grand, i would have probably said the exact opposite :-)

Anyway i am perfectly happy with my CN34 (same action as the ES7). Lucky for me as the Ca65 was way beyond my budget :-)

So take the piano that feels right.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I apologize for contributing toward "Budget Creep" but I have to say I would certainly take a good hard look into the CA-95 before I purchased the CA-65. For someone with acoustic piano background the CA-95 soundboard might be very appealing.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
M
Database hickup and double post.

Last edited by MagicK; 12/13/12 09:13 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
dmd: Love the CA95, but $4K+ ouch! Im just trying to pretend it doesn't exist. I really have to keep to my budget and $3K is pushing it hard.

MagicK: You might be on to something with the feel of the RHII vs Grand Feel. To quote myself regarding ES7 "I immediately bonded with this gorgeous piano.." The ES7 was so playable, easy and responsive you almost feel like you're cheating on an exam. Then something about CA65 felt more professional, genuine, and challenging that is would help me improve my playing. Sorry, im not very articulate in my explanations, but I completely understand that action is such a personal preference that no one can really say which is best for anyone.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 12/13/12 10:32 AM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
If they both satisfy, buy the cheaper one. You will find something good to spend the extra thousand dollars on later.

Last edited by gvfarns; 12/13/12 11:47 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
You are right. ie a stand, bench, cover, maybe sub woofer. Using up that extra grand quickly if I go with ES7

Now that I think about it, I didn't ask dealer if a bench is included with CA65. If not,maybe a negotiating point for me.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Bench is included.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks McBuster. Are you pleased with you CA95? Did you consider CA65 when shopping?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Scout through some of my older Posts. I have left alot of comments on the CA63 CA93 and the CA95.

You will find I am delighted with the CA95.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
ES7 / CA65 ; not the same thing. Very important is which keybed you like the most and probably keep on liking in the long run. If you prefer RHII over GF - can hardly imagine, but it's possible - then the ES7 will save you a lot of money. However the speakers and sound engine on the CA-65 are better than on the ES7 . Both are very nice instruments, but hard to compare - one is a 'portable' , the other a cabinet DP and they are in a different price range - resulting in different specs.

Make a list: features you find most important on top and stuff your care less about below (price is also a feature ;-). Then put the specs of both piano's behind the list and find the best match.

Good luck !

P.S. I bought the ES7 while especially considering price, portability and space requirements . If these features are not important to you, the CA series seems to me a better choice. If you DO like the RHII very much AND still want a cabinet DP , the CN34 is perhaps an alternative ? Not that you can go very wrong with any of these three...- I personally would opt for the CA if price/ portability/ space are no issues...

I'm in a similar condition. With few money more I would buy the semi-console version of ES7, with 3 pedals included, and a rhythm section as a bonus that CA65 miss.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Qbert; 12/17/12 02:16 PM.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission