2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
OP Offline
V
I will be auditioning at 5 different schools (undergrad) this spring and am wondering what most people wear. Which of these dresses do you feel would be more appropriate?

Dress Options (The first dress is in light gray though.)

Last edited by violamusic123; 12/10/12 07:15 PM.
This is totally up to you. smile

Personally, I think the beige-ish dress would be more suitable; I'd wear a belt or a brooch/pin with it to jazz it up. How are you "doing" your hair?

The evening gown is-- an evening gown, for an evening...

but that's my opinion.

Is that you (in the photo)? smile

Last edited by Bluoh; 12/10/12 09:36 PM.
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Just look professional, but don't overdo it.

More importantly: play well. smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Either would be appropriate, but I completely agree with Bluoh.

Three things to consider:

1) Length - while shorter is fine, keep in mind you'll be sitting, which means it needs to be just at the knee or longer *when sitting* (A lot of girls try skirts/dresses on standing, forgetting that the length will shorten when seated. Guys make the same mistake with sleeves, trying shirts on with arms hanging vertically, then the sleeves shorten when the arms go out to play.)

2) Movement - keep in mind you have to move around in it. It's fine if it's a close fit, but make sure the dress won't constrict your movement on stage.

3) Shoes - heels are fine, but again, keep in mind you have to pedal with them on. Also, on an audition day, you might be doing a lot of standing/walking around touring campus and whatnot. A comfortable dress shoe might be better for the occasion. (Or if you really want to wear heels, consider carrying them around with you and bring another pair of shoes to walk around in all day.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I try to avoid heels without much surface area on the heel because they can slip one the stage when you're pedaling. Or, make sure you try them out first to make sure they will work.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Viola, are you female? That might figure in our answer.
Otherwise wear anything that is comfortable and not too outrageous.

You're not accepting a Nobel Prize in Norway here.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 12/11/12 03:38 AM.
A
A
Since we're on the topic of college auditions, what attire would be fine for final audition video recordings in case one isn't able to travel to a music school campus?

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think you are over-thinking this.

Originally Posted by arpan70
Since we're on the topic of college auditions, what attire would be fine for final audition video recordings in case one isn't able to travel to a music school campus?

Same.

Basically, you just want to look nice. It's not necessary to be formal, you just want to send a message that you care about your appearance. (Because if you don't care about how you present yourself, why should an audition committee care about you?)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Now, if only I could get my youngest to tuck his shirt in his pants when HE auditions ...

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Viola,

Ordinarily, I would not dream of responding to a fashion question, but this case is different.

I thoroughly congratulate you on your attention to, and concern for, how you will look at your auditions! In this age of "I dress for comfort - take it or leave it, " it is refreshing to see someone your age who already realizes that EVERYTHING WE DO REVEALS ALL OF US.

I have sat on audition panels, and (trust me), it DOES make a big difference in the way the judges view your work.

Now, as others have written, make certain you back that great visual image up with some great playing!

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you have the chance to try them on (in case you don't own them) do try them on and choose the one in which you feel more comfortable (see also point #2 of Kreisler's post, as well as the other points).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In my guy experience, playing in short sleeves is an invitation to endless criticism of hand and arm position. Long sleeves and jacket solve that!

I can't imagine auditioning with "Michelle Obama" exposed arms and shoulders. But, YMMV.

Keep in mind, recital halls are often cold on stage, even in spring. Cold air + nerves, not good.

V
OP Offline
V
Thank you for all the responses and advice. Both dresses are comfortable/of appropriate length. I intend to wear pedaling-friendly shoes, wear my hair back, bring a jacket, play to the best of my ability, etc. My impression is that either dress is suitable. So as a follow-up question, would it make sense to dress more/less formally for different school's auditions? For example, wear a full-length gown for a competitive school's audition, and less formal dress for a laid-back audition? Or, would you say there's such a variety in how auditioners dress that it doesn't matter?(I apologize for the pettiness of this -- I am a girl. It's only natural I care so much about how I dress. :P)

Seriously, in my defense, read LoPresti's post. I don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons (overdo it/be too understated), as this could make me feel less comfortable in the audition and possibly distract from how the teacher's view me as a performer.

Thank you in advance!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by violamusic123
[...]Seriously, in my defense, read LoPresti's post. I don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons (overdo it/be too understated), as this could make me feel less comfortable in the audition and possibly distract from how the teacher's view me as a performer.

Thank you in advance!

As an older male still steeped in the performance conventions of the last century (!), I would be inclined to think that you wouldn't "stand out for the wrong reasons" if you dress in an understated manner. My very conservative wisdom says that you should dress modestly and comfortably but not in sportswear.

I would suggest you reserve the long, formal gown for a formal recital, not for an audition which, in effect, is a business(type) appointment. Dress conservatively in clothes that will afford you maximum comfort when playing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would still go with the less formal dress for all your auditions. I can't remember seeing anyone come in for auditions with the full-length gown at the schools I've been at. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but they would be the exception. Those are normally reserved for recitals. And I second WhoDwaldi's comment about the no sleeves. When people get nervous, the hands are the first to get cold.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
T
T
I really like the first dress. Depends on the quality of the fabric though; I really think this can make or break an outfit. It would look very nice with a simple jacket and an elegant knot in your hair. I would wear that dress myself. I mean right now, not for an audition, as I don't have an audition.

I think a simple, well cut dress is best, rather than something more showy like the other one.

Where is the dress from? I really like it smile

Last edited by Toastie; 12/13/12 09:17 AM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Viola, are you female? That might figure in our answer.

THAT is hilarious!

I vote for the first dress all the way! Add a nice, short strand of pearls, earrings, flat or low heels (nothing like a wobby heel on the floor of the pedal, ugh) and you're good to go!
Smacks of class!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Joel_W
I think you are over-thinking this.

Spoken like a man.

smile

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

P
P
This is from the mother of a female piano student. D's piano teacher prior to college always insists that if wearing a skirt to a student recital, the length of the skirt should be below the knees. A full-lenght black skirt is a piece of very versatile wardrobe for a female piano student. D always has a full-length black skirt that she couples with different tops to create different looks. She wore it to student recitals, auditions, and competitions. She only wears full-length gown for her own recitals or when she played with an orchestra as a soloist. When she had to play in the Piano Forum in college, she wore black dress pants since the forum is in the middle of a school day. In my opinion, a full-length gown is too much for a college audition. It is winter during college auditions, you can wear pants to keep yourself warm and change to skirt in the lady's room before audition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission