Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!


SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (ajames, accordeur, ando, amad23, Adypiano, Almaviva, 26 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1997620 - 12/10/12 11:22 PM teacher's role at students' recital  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
northern California
Recently I attended another teacher's students' recital. A former student of mine participated (moved her on to a teacher who teaches advanced students).
Teacher followed the music scores while each student played, and if any had memory slips he was right there at the piano with the music to help them recover.

What do you teachers do at your students' recitals? Do you follow the score and assist the students as needed? Or do you sit back and blend in to the audience?
Somewhere in between?


Piano Teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1997638 - 12/11/12 12:00 AM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,813
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,813
Williamsburg, VA
I have never seen that approach at a recital. If a student is not fully comfortable with playing from memory, most teachers simply allow them to use the music. If the student plays from memory without being fully confident, then they stumble a little, ...or a lot. Maybe it's just me, but I have not seen a teacher approach the bench in rescue mode with the music in hand.

I suppose it seems humane to be the backup. But it's also a crutch.

#1997663 - 12/11/12 12:39 AM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
CA
I usually sit in the front row, but on the outside end of the aisle so the student has their back to me. By sitting here, I am quickly available to help young students adjust the bench, play duets or give a quick assist to a student in distress. I don't follow along with a score, but I know the repertoire well enough that I can help, if necessary.

I can't remember ever having done so, though!


B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
#1997781 - 12/11/12 09:31 AM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,847
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,847
Boynton Beach, FL
I am usually there close by, and sometimes a student will stumble and look at me and I just tell them to find a way to end it if it's a disaster. I don't keep the music handy, however. I let them play with the score if they're not quite memorized, but disasters usually happen due to nerves, and having the score there often doesn't help. Me bailing them out doesn't help either, but we reflect afterwards and devise plans for how to deal with such things for the next recital. It's a process and personally I don't agree with coddling students like this.


private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1997917 - 12/11/12 03:26 PM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,061
Candywoman Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Candywoman  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,061
At my recital last month, I wondered about my role. First I was trying to greet the newer families while my friend acted as the general greeter. Then too, I had to greet the residents of the senior's home for whom we performed. I was trying to find chairs for several people once the seating became limited. Even though I came a half hour early, there were enough people entering at that time to impede my attempts to get the piano and microphone set up. Then a parent surprised me with a big floral arrangement which I wanted to display properly.

During the recital itself, I announced each of the numbers because some people couldn't see the program well enough to read it. Meanwhile, I was adjusting the seat between younger performers and for myself for the duets.

At the end, a resident wanted me to answer whose purse she held. Was it one my people's purse? Meanwhile, I was trying to have a refreshment before it was too late. Altogether too much stress. I think I need to hire more people to help me.

#1997931 - 12/11/12 03:49 PM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Candywoman]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
northern California
Originally Posted by Candywoman
At my recital last month, I wondered about my role. First I was trying to greet the newer families while my friend acted as the general greeter. Then too, I had to greet the residents of the senior's home for whom we performed. I was trying to find chairs for several people once the seating became limited. Even though I came a half hour early, there were enough people entering at that time to impede my attempts to get the piano and microphone set up. Then a parent surprised me with a big floral arrangement which I wanted to display properly.

During the recital itself, I announced each of the numbers because some people couldn't see the program well enough to read it. Meanwhile, I was adjusting the seat between younger performers and for myself for the duets.

At the end, a resident wanted me to answer whose purse she held. Was it one my people's purse? Meanwhile, I was trying to have a refreshment before it was too late. Altogether too much stress. I think I need to hire more people to help me.


Yes I agree, stressful because there is so much going on at the same time. How would you delegate these duties though? Perhaps just have an assistant available for impromptu go-to stuff that comes up. One thing I did this past time is to not serve refreshments. That took a load off right there.


Piano Teacher
#1997934 - 12/11/12 03:53 PM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Morodiene]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
northern California
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I am usually there close by, and sometimes a student will stumble and look at me and I just tell them to find a way to end it if it's a disaster. I don't keep the music handy, however. I let them play with the score if they're not quite memorized, but disasters usually happen due to nerves, and having the score there often doesn't help. Me bailing them out doesn't help either, but we reflect afterwards and devise plans for how to deal with such things for the next recital. It's a process and personally I don't agree with coddling students like this.


I think bailing them out could cause more stress for the student but I really don't know, having never done that. Teacher at the recital I attended focused on the scores the whole time. I'm not being critical, just found it interesting as I'd never seen or heard of teachers doing this before at performances, plus helping out the students during memory slips. I wonder if this teacher does this at festivals and competitions; wouldn't be allowed, would it?


Piano Teacher
#1998608 - 12/12/12 10:44 PM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,847
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,847
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I am usually there close by, and sometimes a student will stumble and look at me and I just tell them to find a way to end it if it's a disaster. I don't keep the music handy, however. I let them play with the score if they're not quite memorized, but disasters usually happen due to nerves, and having the score there often doesn't help. Me bailing them out doesn't help either, but we reflect afterwards and devise plans for how to deal with such things for the next recital. It's a process and personally I don't agree with coddling students like this.


I think bailing them out could cause more stress for the student but I really don't know, having never done that. Teacher at the recital I attended focused on the scores the whole time. I'm not being critical, just found it interesting as I'd never seen or heard of teachers doing this before at performances, plus helping out the students during memory slips. I wonder if this teacher does this at festivals and competitions; wouldn't be allowed, would it?


If a student doesn't actually go through a memory slip, how will they ever learn how to recover? I know the urge is there, I TOTALLY want to help my students, but to do so would be to their own detriment. At the very least, they need that experience if it ends up in complete disaster to get some perspective the next time they make a lesser mistake.


private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1998626 - 12/12/12 11:21 PM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,813
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,813
Williamsburg, VA
I can still remember my eldest having his first big memory slip. Unfortunately, it happened in a competition, where no helping hand could come to his rescue. He came off the rails at a particular measure, stopped, and circled back a few lines. Then he went off the rails again at the same spot, and circled back again. The third time through he stumbled again, but busted through and was able to finish. He was toast, and left the venue quite distressed. He was twelve at the time.

That was a great, if painful, learning experience. He was due to play the same piece a week later (with an orchestra, no less) so he had to figure out what went wrong at that spot, and why when things went wrong he was unable to think holistically about the piece. He had never learned how to create recovery spots every few measures. Well, that learning experience ensured that he never again had such a breakdown.

#1998634 - 12/12/12 11:41 PM Re: teacher's role at students' recital [Re: Piano*Dad]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
northern California
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I can still remember my eldest having his first big memory slip. Unfortunately, it happened in a competition, where no helping hand could come to his rescue. He came off the rails at a particular measure, stopped, and circled back a few lines. Then he went off the rails again at the same spot, and circled back again. The third time through he stumbled again, but busted through and was able to finish. He was toast, and left the venue quite distressed. He was twelve at the time.

That was a great, if painful, learning experience. He was due to play the same piece a week later (with an orchestra, no less) so he had to figure out what went wrong at that spot, and why when things went wrong he was unable to think holistically about the piece. He had never learned how to create recovery spots every few measures. Well, that learning experience ensured that he never again had such a breakdown.


This is so important!!! I agree that the students have to own their stuff and figure it out. It is hard to sit there as their teacher and watch them go through it though.
Today I had a conversation with a young student of mine who botched a piece at a recent recital. He felt so badly about experiencing a memory slip, but he was able to recover beautifully and I was so proud of him and told him that this is what good musicians must be able to do: recover.


Piano Teacher

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my perfect piano
by vais4pianists. 06/22/17 10:47 AM
Used QRS midi strip /Pianodisk midi strip
by Marc NY. 06/22/17 09:42 AM
1899 Knabe Concert Grand
by Keith D Kerman. 06/22/17 09:29 AM
Returning to Piano after awhile
by acdyer23. 06/22/17 06:38 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,389
Posts2,638,178
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0