2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I don't think there are any bad foods, just best and better choices.

But, the HUGE problem is that when someone is over-weight, it's really funny to me that they complain that their "knees" always hurt. I want to scream it's not their knees that's the problem, it's all the WEIGHT on their knees. Seems obvious to me but not to them!!! I try to hold my tongue . . . most of the time.

So weight just makes one lazy and not want to "do" things. Strips one of energy!

I suggest "Weight Watchers" if someone needs help. When you get the weight off, start an exercise program, or both. There are just too many health risks because one is so over weight that life becomes "NOT FUN" & one is just LAZY! ...with bad "knees"!! grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Diane...; 12/10/12 04:03 PM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
This thread is starting to get a bit preachy...

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Do men want a FAT woman in lingerie?
Well then we women DONT want a FAT man in a suit!

[Linked Image]

Now, THAT'S preaching! Just sayin' . . .

Last edited by Diane...; 12/10/12 04:51 PM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What a horrible thing to say. Take your body fascism elsewhere.

Well to add onto what's been said about weight, the more gradually you lose it, the more likely you are to keep it off permanently...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Diane...

But, the HUGE problem is that when someone is over-weight, it's really funny to me that they complain that their "knees" always hurt. I want to scream it's not their knees that's the problem, it's all the WEIGHT on their knees. Seems obvious to me but not to them!!! I try to hold my tongue . . . most of the time.

So weight just makes one lazy and not want to "do" things. Strips one of energy!

I suggest "Weight Watchers" if someone needs help. When you get the weight off, start an exercise program, or both. There are just too many health risks because one is so over weight that life becomes "NOT FUN" & one is just LAZY! ...with bad "knees"!! grin

Your attitude is cruel, smug and ignorant.

1. There are many foods that are bad for you - for example: transfats, refined sugar, etc.

2. Complaints about bad knees are not "funny". Bad knees are not always associated with weight and even if they are, it's not amusing.

3. Being overweight makes one lazy? What is your source for this claim? I can assure you that most overweight people eat far less than you do and they still gain weight - with exercise. Often the problem is metabolic and inherited. Assuming all overweight people are lazy is like assuming all tall people have better eyesight.

4. I am overweight. If I follow Weight Watchers strictly I gain weight. I can maintain my weight if I eat not more than 1500 calories a day while going to the gym for a hard workout 3 to 4 times a week. To lose weight I must eat less than 1000 calories a day and I'm miserable. Yes, I saw the doctor. He told me "That's the way it is for some people. Live with it." Could you manage on 1000 calories a day, teaching full time, on your feet all day, raising children and keeping house?

5. Do you truly believe life is not fun for overweight people and they are all just lazy?

Your attitude is appalling. Shame on you.

Best regards,

Deborah
J
J
I think diet is underestimated and piano players should think of themselves in similar terms to an athlete. For example most people don’t eat enough protein so the muscles in your hands etc will develop slower and take longer to recover. Magnesium is one of the most important chemicals for muscle contractions. When you consider the amount work the muscles in your fingers do, taking a supplement should be considered. Think of it this way if you were trying to get extremely fit which is what your asking your hands to do would your current diet be adequate. I starting taking a protein supplement six months ago and there is no question it has made a big difference.

Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by Diane...

Your attitude is cruel, smug and ignorant.

1. There are many foods that are bad for you - for example: transfats, refined sugar, etc.

2. Complaints about bad knees are not "funny". Bad knees are not always associated with weight and even if they are, it's not amusing.

3. Being overweight makes one lazy? What is your source for this claim? I can assure you that most overweight people eat far less than you do and they still gain weight - with exercise. Often the problem is metabolic and inherited. Assuming all overweight people are lazy is like assuming all tall people have better eyesight.

4. I am overweight. If I follow Weight Watchers strictly I gain weight. I can maintain my weight if I eat not more than 1500 calories a day while going to the gym for a hard workout 3 to 4 times a week. To lose weight I must eat less than 1000 calories a day and I'm miserable. Yes, I saw the doctor. He told me "That's the way it is for some people. Live with it." Could you manage on 1000 calories a day, teaching full time, on your feet all day, raising children and keeping house?

5. Do you truly believe life is not fun for overweight people and they are all just lazy?

Your attitude is appalling. Shame on you.

Hi Deborah, I totally know what you mean-- that's just the way for some people. NYT personal finance expert and Stanford grad Ramit Sethi said that he looked like a supermodel in highschool-- a female supermodel.

However, have you considered joining a gym? Personal trainers make it their business to help people all day, and you'll probably find success with them. It's about balancing your intake (and eating healthy), with exercise too.

I'm a big fan of exercise-- dance, yoga, swimming, running, etc. (not so much soccer). Getting your heartrate up gives you a boost of endorphins and makes you feel good. If you're looking for ideas, check out FitSugar.

Even a brisk walk or a stretch will benefit your muscles.

It's not really about having time, it's about finding time. If none of us consciously made time for our health, then we'd be seriously sick.

Are you eating the right foods? I'm by no means a dietician, but I know that to barely survive, the average human must eat at least 1000 calories a day.

I don't count my calories, but I'm eating much more than 1000 calories a day and I'm able to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Grace, you are not hearing me. I DO exercise. I belong to a gym - 3 to 4 times a week, hard workouts. I know how to work out and I know what good nutrition is, (I'm a retired chirorpractor). I eat only the right foods, (nothing refined, no artificial sweeetners, no prepared foods, tiny amounts of whole grains, lean meats, lots of water, veggies, fruit = 1000 calories a day and I count them). I just have the metabolism from h... as did my mother, and I have to live with it. I don't need fixing. Diane needs fixing.

Best regards,

Deborah
Grace, you are not hearing me. I DO exercise. I belong to a gym - 3 to 4 times a week, hard workouts. I know how to work out and I know what good nutrition is, (I'm a retired chirorpractor). I eat only the right foods, (nothing refined, no artificial sweeetners, no prepared foods, tiny amounts of whole grains, lean meats, lots of water, veggies, fruit = 1000 calories a day and I count them). I just have the metabolism from h... as did my mother, and I have to live with it. I don't need fixing. Diane needs fixing.

Ahh that sounds very unlikely, since you're losing salts and whatnot when you sweat. Also, the muscle that you build will help you burn calories even when you're resting.

Even if you have a very bad metabolism naturally, you can speed it up by building muscle. Are you doing cardio with strength training?

Muscle burns more calories than fat.

I'm not saying that you need fixing, I had merely asked if you have considered a change in your lifestyle.

I'm a dancer and former gymnast so I have had my share of pains and injuries.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image] You aren't listening. Forgive me, I'm a little testy. It's almost 6 pm and I've had only 380 calories so far today...and I went for a mile walk this morning at 4:30 before work.

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Deborah,

I don't think you're going to get anywhere here. Put down the computer and practice instead! smile

Congrats on your son's engagement btw.

-Jason

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
[Linked Image]

+1

I agree with you, Deborah.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Deborah, congratulations on your son's engagement! laugh

I am hearing what you're saying, but there are ways you can counter genetics. Genetics is only part of it, and I'm just trying to help.

Doctors aren't gods-- in the 18th century, doctors put leeches on people to 'heal' them. A lot of the medical field today is still a mystery, and a lot of it is just theory.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Your help is unwanted. Why do some people find it so hard to believe an overweight person can be happy?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
Deborah,

I don't think you're going to get anywhere here. Put down the computer and practice instead! smile

Congrats on your son's engagement btw.

-Jason
Thank you Jason! and I will go practice!

Best regards,

Deborah
Originally Posted by debrucey
Your help is unwanted. Why do some people find it so hard to believe an overweight person can be happy?

Anyone can be happy as long as they have the right mindset.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be happier.

D
OP Offline
D
Joke Fingers, thank's for your post. It seems that musician's either don't talk about diet, don't consider it essential for better performance or they don't teach it to their students. In sport forums and magazines diet is a huge priority. Coaches and trainers are fully aware of benefits of diet, and educate their athletes.
What's even more scary is that more than 2/3 of serious musicians have had some kind of injury related playing an instrument or play in pain.
NOT SORRY TO SOUND PREACHY!!! Teachers need to start educating their students about poor food choices that will make them prone to injuries and interfere with their performances.

Side note - this is really not about being over weight, but more about preventing injury and enhancing performance.

@signa
A note on wheat
http://sph-publications.berkeley.edu/bho/2012/07/wheatophobia-wellness-letter/

Milk is high in estrogen. A symptom of drinking too much milk or milk products is adult acne. Oh Yah, and man boobs.

Refine Sugar is really bad for us in so many ways. When we practice a new skill ,let's say a new scale. After practicing this for fifteen min. or so, we stop, but our brain doesn't. Our mind takes 4-6 our to process new motor skills . If a musician has blood sugar crashes during this processing, than the mind won't learn it. Blood sugar crashes starve the brain.

Last edited by DAVE_250; 12/10/12 10:37 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Of course not, but the problem I have is with your assumption that happier = thinner.

Originally Posted by debrucey
Of course not, but the problem I have is with your assumption that happier = thinner.

Nope, healthier = happier. It's not an assumption; it's scientifically proven.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission