2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1996424 12/08/12 03:11 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I just bought a PX-850. Overall, I'm happy with it, but I'm trying to hook it up to my iPad to use midi-enabled apps. I got an iRig midi adaptor, only to find that that the thing works ONLY with midi ports and not with USB.

How do you hook up a keyboard that has only a USB midi port (like the PX-850) to an iPad?

Thanks,

Dan.

PIANO
Keybd: Kawai MP11
SW: PianoTeq 7
HW: Core i7-6700K; 32GB; (2) SSDs
Audio Int: FocusRite 2i4

MUSIC COMPOSITION
Keybd: Native Inst KK S88 Mk II
DAW: Cubase
SW: PianoTeq 7; NI Komplete 13 Libs; Spitfire Libs; Audio Imperia Nucleus Libs
Proc: AMD 3970X; 128GB; (6) SSDs
Audio Int: FocusRite 2i2
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Camera connection kit should do it.

D
OP Offline
D
Buddha,

Many, many thanks! It worked perfectly!!!

It turns out that I bought a camera kit when I bought the iPad, but never used it to connect my camera. It was in a plastic baggie with iPad cables. Found it. Plugged it in. Voila!

I bought the iRig thinking that it would do what I wanted with the 850. My bad. The iRig people never mention in their marketing hype that it works ONLY with midi ports and NOT with midi USB ports. Grrrrr. I'm going on Amazon to give them a "wonderful" review.

Thanks again for making my day.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dan Clark
I bought the iRig thinking that it would do what I wanted with the 850. My bad. The iRig people never mention in their marketing hype that it works ONLY with midi ports and NOT with midi USB ports. Grrrrr. I'm going on Amazon to give them a "wonderful" review.

I actually don't blame the iRig people for that. It is pretty clear from the specs (
"3 MIDI ports: IN/OUT/THRU" and that it includes "MIDI 5-pin DIN cables") as well as the pictures (looking at the ones on Amazon) that it is for standard MIDI, not for USB. Companies generally tell you what their products are for, they don't usually tell you what they're not for. ;-)

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott

I actually don't blame the iRig people for that. It is pretty clear from the specs (
"3 MIDI ports: IN/OUT/THRU" and that it includes "MIDI 5-pin DIN cables") as well as the pictures (looking at the ones on Amazon) that it is for standard MIDI, not for USB. Companies generally tell you what their products are for, they don't usually tell you what they're not for. ;-)

Scott,

Each to his/her own opinion, but I do blame the iRig people for not being more clear. You apparently understand midi in-depth. Therefore, their marketing blurbs are clear to you because you already understand those details. However...

Nothing you wrote above precludes the iRig from being used with a standard USB midi port. That they include "midi 5-pin DIN cables" is fine. And that they do NOT include a standard USB midi cable is a bit frustrating, but I'll fork over the extra money for one of those. That is, IF I could buy one. AFAIK, these cables are NOT available.

Further they do say that the included USB cable can be used to charge the device while in use. Great. So you can connect the USB cable to your DP and charge the iPad while in use. And of course use that cable for midi. Well, uhmm... No. (They conveniently forgot to mention that.)

Finally, I've read several reviews describing the iRig as superior to the other devices. NONE of them mention that the iRig has a major limitation - no connection to USB midi.

I'm not going to write a negative review about the iRig because it's a bad product. I don't know that because I can't use it. I'm writing a negative review about the company not being clear about what the product can NOT do - at least in a notation.

While "let the buyer beware" is a standard concept, the question is when does failure to clearly describe a product's limitations cross the line. Obviously, you think they clearly described their product and they were not making misleading statements. I think the opposite. Of course, I'm the one who forked over money for a product that I can't use. That affects my opinion a bit.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Finally, I've read several reviews describing the iRig as superior to the other devices. NONE of them mention that the iRig has a major limitation - no connection to USB midi.

The competing devices (Yamaha i-MX1, Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer) don't work with USB midi either. The main thing that makes the iRig superior to those is that you can charge the iPad at the same time.

I understand that you're new to MIDI and were confused about the purpose of this device, but not only are you correct that none of the other reviewers complained about this (which might tell you something?), also none of the reviewers for those other similar products complained about this either. I'm not saying it might not be helpful to someone for you to leave that review, other people new to MIDI may be confused as well, but I don't think it's really fair to say that the manufacturer misrepresented the product.

For a little history... Apple's Camera Kit came out early on, and as of iOS 4-point-something, provided a cheap, reliable solution for connecting USB MIDI devices to the iPad. But people with pro music gear were stuck, because that gear usually has standard MIDI ports, and Apple provided no way to connect them. These devices served to fill that need.

There are actually devices that do both, but they are much more expensive. I think the only ones are the iConnectMIDI and the Alesis IO Dock. But these usually sell for in the $150-$200 range.

Of course, I'm the one who forked over money for a product that I can't use. That affects my opinion a bit.

And of course, the great thing about Amazon is, if you ordered the wrong thing, you can return it.

D
OP Offline
D
Scott,

Thanks. Good info. Yes, you're right - it would probably be a bit strong to write that iRig misrepresented their product. That said, IMO their product positioning isn't clear - at least to me.

To be fair to them, I'll focus my comments on the products key limitation - no USB midi.

Regards,

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
M
M
Did you ever find a program for USB MIDI for iPad?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MichaelK2233

Michael,

I'm using the Apple camera kit for the iPad to PX-850 hardware connection. Works perfectly.

For software, I finally settled on Zenph Home Concert Extreme for iPad. I also have the PC version. Both work well, although the PC version with a 19" monitor is much nicer. But the iPad version is portable - I can take it over to my son's house to plug into my grandson's PX-350. Overall, both work well.

Regards,

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MichaelK2233

Michael,

I'm using the Apple camera kit for the iPad to PX-850 hardware connection. Works perfectly.

For software, I finally settled on Zenph Home Concert Extreme for iPad. I also have the PC version. Both work well, although the PC version with a 19" monitor is much nicer. But the iPad version is portable - I can take it over to my son's house to plug into my grandson's PX-350. Overall, both work well.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan,

Re: Home Concert Extreme - This software's capabilities sound very similar to a (I think) discontinued product from Cakewalk caled "In Concert" - in that it accompanies you (based on your tempo etc) as you play on the keyboard. I enjoyed using "In Concert" years ago, but have since misplaced it and HCX sounds like it might "fit the bill" in replacing it.

However, one of the reviews on the APP store said that many (most?) downloadable MIDI files are NOT compatible with HCX. Have you found that to be true? If so, where do you get your MIDI files from that are compatible? (FWIW, my musical tastes are mostly pop ballads and/or blues).

I have my laptop connected to my DP full time, so would be leaning towards the PC version (although I do own an iPad as well). What are some of the advantages of the Windows version over the iPad version?

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission