2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1996580 12/08/12 09:22 PM
R
RPD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Hello All, and an early Merry Christmas. Question: has anybody here compiled a list of favorite or even not-favorite ghosting techniques? I've evolved some ideas of my own and copied or outright stolen a few from others ;-) but am always stoked to pick up new info.

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
RPD #1996672 12/09/12 01:08 AM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Ghosting is a beginner's technique. You should work towards hearing beating coincidental partials on their own. The reason being, ghosting only works when the ghost note is very very close in frequency to the frequency of each coincidental partial. This is not always the case. Especially with pianos that are more out of tune, or intervals that are beating fast.

Maybe I misunderstood your question since you are a member of MPT. Did you mean "aural checks" instead of "ghosting"?

Mark Cerisano #1996751 12/09/12 06:43 AM
R
RPD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for your reply. I'm using the word to represent in this case the very subtle nuanced overall sound that a finely tuned instrument will display....its not something that I'd equate with beginner tuning. For instance, using either the una corda or even the damper lift to allow the chosen interval to speak only very slightly, to build tonality beyond the more obvious checks.

I think many tuners develop this around favorite interval checks but generally its something that more advanced tuners learn through allowing, indeed making, the instrument ring and speak in almost whispered tones...hence "ghosting". Perhaps others use different terms to describe such as "tests" etc. It wouldn't be something that easily falls into the hands of beginning tuners but I'm betting perhaps if I voiced the question asking for favorite advanced interval checks I might have received more replies.

I guess "aural checks" as you suggested, but I'm specifically looking for the planned leaking (for lack of a better term) of certain chords or notes that would tend to be revealing overall wellness of a tuning.

Thank you once again for your reply.

Last edited by RPD; 12/09/12 06:56 AM.

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
RPD #1996782 12/09/12 08:33 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Start the list!
I don't use ghosting but maybe I should. What is your favorite technique. ?

RPD #1996783 12/09/12 08:37 AM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, please send us some examples.

RPD #1996834 12/09/12 10:47 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree, start the list. I don't use ghosting either and I've tuning for over 44 years, almost 39 of them, full time. But, I do enjoy watching a good scary movie with a few ghosts in them! 👽

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Mark Cerisano #1996836 12/09/12 10:50 AM
R
RPD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Hey Jer!

Well, for those who don't know me, I certainly don't profess to have special or little known secrets or anything...but manage to schedule 25 or so pianos a week and things just evolve over the decades....one simple one I use alot is playing the octave in the bass and opening up the 5 th without striking the note....the resonance (which "ghosts" if you abruptly silence the octave notes ) becomes in some way a test without playing the note....easier in the arm too after a long day!

Another idea: Bill Bremmer's octave fifth but on pianos without a sostunetto use the damper pedal and light up two octaves below the tuned note and the fifth...it rings beautifully going up into the high treble and helps quickly dial in the note...

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
RPD #1996838 12/09/12 10:54 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I was expecting you to go BOO Rick! Haha. Just having a little fun with you Rick. 😁

If a piano is properly tuned, you should be able to open up a chord, say, a C chord without actually striking the notes to the strings. Play the surrounding chords and those notes will sound through when the others are silenced. The piano has a boogie man in it!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
I was expecting you to go BOO Rick! Haha. Just having a little fun with you Rick. 😁

If a piano is properly tuned, you should be able to open up a chord, say, a C chord without actually striking the notes to the strings. Play the surrounding chords and those notes will sound through when the others are silenced. The piano has a boogie man in it!

Booooo! thumb

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
RPD #1996842 12/09/12 11:04 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
💀🏃im running away now!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
💀🏃im running away now!

3hearts

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
RPD #1996851 12/09/12 11:26 AM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by RPD
Hey Jer!

Well, for those who don't know me, I certainly don't profess to have special or little known secrets or anything...but manage to schedule 25 or so pianos a week and things just evolve over the decades....one simple one I use alot is playing the octave in the bass and opening up the 5 th without striking the note....the resonance (which "ghosts" if you abruptly silence the octave notes ) becomes in some way a test without playing the note....easier in the arm too after a long day!

Another idea: Bill Bremmer's octave fifth but on pianos without a sostunetto use the damper pedal and light up two octaves below the tuned note and the fifth...it rings beautifully going up into the high treble and helps quickly dial in the note...

I think I know what you are talking about, but I don't use it because sympathetic vibration is not accurate enough. I.e. The ghosted note's frequency need only be close to that of the exciting partials, in order to ring.

But please explain in more detail with note numbers. Thanks.

RPD #1996858 12/09/12 11:41 AM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Did Stephen King finally pass his PTG exam?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
RPD #1996862 12/09/12 11:54 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe the word "ghosting" is too limiting.

At the risk of semantic abuse smile , and though any word can take on a double meaning (or become a Monty Python-esk epithet)... how about referring to the word as coupling, rather than just ghosting.

I think the phenomenon of "coupling" is wider than that one instance ghosting refers to.(at least that's my subjective understanding of the word.)

Bill Bremmer's octave and multi-octave stretches, and I think Virgil Smith's in his own way are working this coupling phenomenon.

Working with the dampers up or multi- octave/fifth sostenuto held, especially in the treble, but also in the bass helps. In the high treble, open up octaves/fifths below, looking for the note being tuned to become most present. In the low bass, playing double/triple-octave and octave fifths and adjusting the low bass note till the sound fills out, or until the 3rds begin sounding in those octave/octave fifth combos(this, though the 3rds are damped and not actively engaged)...etc

For me one of the most useful and enjoyable ways of listening to what you are doing, and knowing when the whole sound is "locking in", is being aware of the whole ringing gestahlt, not just simple single partial matches.

Jim Ialeggio

Last edited by jim ialeggio; 12/09/12 11:54 AM.

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
jim ialeggio #1996936 12/09/12 02:33 PM
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
For me one of the most useful and enjoyable ways of listening to what you are doing, and knowing when the whole sound is "locking in", is being aware of the whole ringing gestahlt, not just simple single partial matches.

One of the differences between aural and machine tuning. Machine is intrinsically analytic (breaking the whole down into parts) and aural is more oriented to the quality of the whole. (Not saying that aural tuners can't analyze and machine tuners can't think of the whole - just how the different techniques are predisposed.)

Interesting you use the term "locked in". That's the term that I used to describe my tunings after adopting Virgil Smith's techniques. I was never happy with my tunings until then.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
kpembrook #1996970 12/09/12 04:09 PM
R
RPD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by kpembrook
[quote]

Interesting you use the term "locked in". That's the term that I used to describe my tunings after adopting Virgil Smith's techniques. I was never happy with my tunings until then.

Its Virgil and his approach, with DVD et al that has also been hugely inspiring to me also!

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
RPD #1996983 12/09/12 04:46 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A gentleman wrote to the forum, regarding ghostly playing of his very old grand during the night. He denied having a cat, and thought it was actually a ghost. I thought rats were more likely than a haunted piano.

Clef

RPD #1997000 12/09/12 05:36 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Would one of you kind folks mind explaining what this ghosting technique involves?

ando #1997002 12/09/12 05:41 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
Would one of you kind folks mind explaining what this ghosting technique involves?

Using sympathetic ringing of partials of related notes in order to help the tuning process. The sustenuto pedal is especially useful using this technique.

It can be very helpful at times, especially in the bass on short pianos.

At least, that is how I rarely use them.

Others will chime in I'm sure.

Regards.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
jim ialeggio #1997040 12/09/12 07:17 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jim ialeggio
Maybe the word "ghosting" is too limiting.

At the risk of semantic abuse smile , and though any word can take on a double meaning (or become a Monty Python-esk epithet)... how about referring to the word as coupling, rather than just ghosting.

I think the phenomenon of "coupling" is wider than that one instance ghosting refers to.(at least that's my subjective understanding of the word.)

Bill Bremmer's octave and multi-octave stretches, and I think Virgil Smith's in his own way are working this coupling phenomenon.

Working with the dampers up or multi- octave/fifth sostenuto held, especially in the treble, but also in the bass helps. In the high treble, open up octaves/fifths below, looking for the note being tuned to become most present. In the low bass, playing double/triple-octave and octave fifths and adjusting the low bass note till the sound fills out, or until the 3rds begin sounding in those octave/octave fifth combos(this, though the 3rds are damped and not actively engaged)...etc

Jim Ialeggio
Unfortunately there are some yahoos on here that might just have a little fun with the "coupling" concept as you anticipated. Thank goodness I'm not one of them! No sir! Not me! I could only think of a couple of lame wisecracks, so I'll bow out.

I do make some limited use of what you are discussing (I think), but I tend to use it on really high quality grands in the high treble.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission