2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1996290 12/08/12 08:42 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello,
The pieces are not new, but I played them recently in Rome. I hope you like the performances. Thank you.

Scarlatti K.141 and Saygun Op. 38 No 1

[video:youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ffdE5lMXw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

"Schubert's music brings tears to our eyes, without any questioning of the soul: this is how stark and real is the way that the music strikes us."
Adorno
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I very much enjoyed both pieces. I liked that the Scarlatti didn't sound too machine gun like and although you played it fast it didn't sound like your were just trying to show off your repeated notes. What was piece the piece by Saygun you played or does it just have an ppus number?

Can you tell us a little more about the competition you were in and your prize?

Finally, what kind of piano was the performance on? Is the name on the side the name of the technician?

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you so much for your kind words pianoloverus. The second piece is by Adnan Saygun, a Turkish composer. This collection of Op. 38 is called Etudes on "Aksak" Rhythms. There is no exact translation of Aksak, but if you are interested in, you may read this short note by the composer himself:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34894245/aksak.pdf

The video is from the winners concert of the International Piano Competition: Rome 2012. I won the absolute first prize in category A.

And, the piano was a steinway, however neither the acoustics of the hall nor the piano was good in my opinion.

Thank you again
Can

"Schubert's music brings tears to our eyes, without any questioning of the soul: this is how stark and real is the way that the music strikes us."
Adorno
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Great stuff, Can! You really are a wonderful pianist -- but, more importantly, an excellent musician. There's such a sense of style in both pieces.
That's my first exposure to Saygun. Sadly, you're probably aware that the jazz musician who really introduced America to Turkish rhythms, with his "Blue Rondo a la Turk" (in that case, 2 + 2 + 2 + 3), Dave Brubeck, just died a couple days ago, one day before his 92nd birthday. It was nice to hear the Saygun piece in that context.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm sure you'll have a place in the Classical music world for years to come.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Great stuff! I always enjoy your recordings. Thanks for sharing.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Can, that was some really nice playing! I think the Saygun is much improved over the last recording you posted of it before, and you may even play it better now than the recording by Dalkilic that we discussed before. Congrats on the win!

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you very much Tim Adrianson and Damon.

Brubeck was a great musician. As far as I know, he composed Blue Rondo a la Turk on the basis of a folk tune he heard when he was in Istanbul. Originally the rhythm was 9/8 but (2+2+2+3) was his original contribution to what he heard. It is really a very nice piece.

I know it is very difficult and I have a very very long way to become a pianist, but I'm working hard both to understand music and to develop appropriate technique(s) to play music. Thank you again.

Adorno
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you MarkH, for your kind words. I really like Saygun's music and by time passes I feel I'm much closer to the right technique and understanding to play these pieces. However, I still do not have enough courage to play his sonata (did you listen to it?)

Adorno
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have indeed listened to his sonata, however, it's a more challenging experience. I'm still digesting it. Are you working on it now and afraid to perform it, or just trying to find the courage to study it?

C
OP Offline
C
The second option MarkH, I don't have the courage to study it. May be after 2-3 years I will be able to do it.

Adorno

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission