2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 6 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dire tonic
[quote=WiseBuff][quote=dire tonic][quote=WiseBuff]Alright I’d be very interested to know what your teacher suggests.

Thanks Dire tonic...my teacher feels I wouldn't lose much to leave out the top A (bass clef) in the left hand and just let the right hand play the melody notes. So the left hand would be the F chord.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Thank you dire tonic for the fingering suggestions! It helps, and no my score was not marked like that. I practiced it that way today and it sounded much better (using the fourth finger on the Ab and then using the LH only on the triplets in that particular spot). Perhaps there are other places in the score where I can use the LH where I was trying to use the right. I wonder if it is ok to play the triplets not so much legato but in a shorter fashion?

Ganddalf, I agree this is a challenging piece! I won't get it to any high artistic level either before this recital, or possibly ever. but I'll do the best I can. Some places where the RH plays the melody and the triplets, it is challenging to bring out the melody note while keeping the other softer. With the 2 against 3, I had started studying Debussy's First Arabesque just before I picked up this piece, so I think that helped me a lot with it. I don't think my use of the pedal is as rapid as it could/should be yet, because I haven't been sure how to do that and maintain the legato in a way that also doesn't hurt my hands. It seems alternative fingering though will help a lot so I'll continue to sort that out.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Lots of good advice from dire tonic on op 30 no. 1. Picking up some RH notes with LH (& vice versa) is needed here. And absolutely, don't try to hold onto anything that feels uncomfortable.

But, I don't see need for finger swaps in mm 3-4. I play 5 on the Eb, 2 on the C (followed by 1 on the F).

I'd be curious to know the better edition. I have comfortable fingerings, but only because my excellent teacher pointed them out.

1989 Baldwin R
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Of those editions I’ve briefly checked, this is my preferred.

http://conquest.imslp.info/files/im...Y1802.16376.2106-39087018809139score.pdf

Nice potted history at the top and more detail than I’d seen before; metronome markings, notes on form and to my mind a little more convincing on fingering although they correspond a lot of the time.

This:-
http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/0/0c/IMSLP59573-PMLP05355-Combined.pdf

- has a lot in common but sometimes there’s an alternative.
In fact it was this latter I looked at first when pondering Valencia’s impossible stretch. Here it’s bracketed but in the Ditson edition the G is written on the correct stave.

jdw, I agree, these swaps are not always necessary or even advantageous but I usually experiment with them to see if they might help. Your fingering works fine for me, those particular swaps seem fussy. I’ve not looked at the others.

Fortunately we’re not delivering this recital till early spring so for trouble spots we can afford to spend a little time looking at alternatives, maybe devising our own, giving each of them a chance to bed in, or not.

Wayne, if you’re reading this, when I was practising the 85,2 you’ve now taken over, I found the 3,5 finger swap at the beginning of bar 3 to be a better alternative at speed than jumping straight to 5. Check out the Ditson if you're not already using it.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yep I'm here wink I've just been making the fingering up as I go along so to speak, as long as it's comfortable and the next notes are easy to get to, I thought that should be ok. If I get time, I'll record a vid later and show you what I'm doing, then you could point out any improvements I could make. Cheers everyone smile

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
There's still empty seats, I hope others are going to join in smile Come on you lurkers, pick a piece, it's fun and a learning experience rolled into one smile Not to mention the sense of acheivement when the recital gets posted up smile

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Dire tonic, thanks for posting those links. It will be interesting to compare with my edition (I have the Alfred masterworks).

I'm still lurking as I haven't got recording figured out, among other reasons. It's a nice project, though!

1989 Baldwin R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I couldn't video and play at the same time lol, so I wrote my chosen fingering on the score. What do you guys think? smile

[Linked Image]

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
It’s ok up to a point, fairly logical. The upper line of the RH (excluding the intermediate answering notes) should be legato and you’ll compromise that to some extent where you have F down to D (5,5), C to B (4,4) and E to C (5,5). Also it depends on the tempo. At medium to slow there may not appear to be much difference between ‘good’ and ‘better’ fingering – it might only become apparent at a faster tempo. You’ve got bigger hands than me if you’re happy going from B up to E with 4,5 although Ditson uses that. I used 3,5.

The LH is broadly ok but then it’s not working nearly as hard.

I would recommend spending at least an hour persevering with the ditson fingering on the RH alone - just those 4 bars - and seeing what you think. If you’ve not done finger swaps before it’ll seem a bit weird but when you get used to it it’s like a glide – quite satisfying.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by dire tonic
...You’ve got bigger hands than me if you’re happy going from B up to E with 4,5 although Ditson uses that.
I take that upper E as starting a new phrase, as does Ditson, so the break in legato should help.

I do agree though that Ditson fingering is good for following.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys, I've printed the Ditson score out, and will have a proper look tomorow, smile I'm finding this hard lol, hope I can pull it off. I suppose the key is just to keep going wink

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The key is not to get flustered by technical problems, Wayne. There's a resource here and you've plenty of time.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thnx man wink

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Wayne...I'm with you. Step by step anything is possible...even very challenging music

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Love it! We in it together lol, we're in with the "in" crowd wink

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wayne33yrs
Thanks guys, I've printed the Ditson score out, and will have a proper look tomorow, smile I'm finding this hard lol, hope I can pull it off. I suppose the key is just to keep going wink

Wayne, I apologise if I put you into a spin. To suggest trialling the ditson fingering for only an hour might have caused a bout of panic, maybe a sense that there’s so much to do you should quickly pass on to the next task? I meant only that within an hour you would probably begin to see that there was another way of doing things.

It’s impossible to overstate the importance of good fingering. It’s a foundation stone. You’ve got that much time you should take however long is required to get it right.

Don’t paniiiic!!!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Lol, no probs smile I reckon I'm stickin' to my own fingering, I find it more comfortable wink

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- I can understand that. Anyway, time for me to ditch the dogma. A touch of sustain and it can still sound good.

Looking forward to hearing it!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
My Alfred Masterworks edition of the complete Songs Without Words, edited by Maurice Hinson, arrived. I like the explanatory and interpretive information Hinson gives about the Songs, but it turns out that, for Op. 30 No. 3 at least, in most places I prefer the fingering I got from the Peters edition edited by Theodor Kullak that I found on imslp. Kullak gives more fingering in essential places, and it's subtler, in particular in using finger 4. The one place I might prefer Hinson is in a measure of descending first inversion RH chords. Kullak gives a varied fingering that I suspect is meant to improve legato. Hinson gives a straight-forward series of 125, and achieves legato with pedal. But I'll give the Kullak fingering a try, because so far in all the places where I've thought "that's an odd fingering", his fingering has turned out to be very clever and efficient.

On the other hand, Hinson gives explicit pedal suggestions, which I shall probably adopt.

And, oh look, the Kullak-edited Peters edition is available to buy. (I appreciate imslp as a resource, but I dislike playing from flimsy printed-out sheet music and having unattached sheets of paper floating all over my piano. I like my music corralled in a book. Yes, I could put the print-outs in a notebook, but what a pain, and it's never as compact as a printed book.) It seems sort of silly to have not one, but two, editions of the Songs Without Words when almost all of them are much too hard for me and, unlike the Beethoven Sonatas or the Bach Preludes and Fugues, they're not my dream aspirational pieces. But I think I will buy this edition anyway.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission