2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
First of all, I apologize for the self promotion, but this is one of the reasons I love this business.

To set up this clip I need to tell you that here in Philly we participate in a choir competition with a local radio station. Schools from the entire metropolitan area of Philadelphia send in a recording of their choir singing a Christmas song and the winner is chosen thriugh online voting.

This morning the winning grammar school was notified and the Choir Director made my day. If you click on this link and then click on the audio take this warning. You should have a box of tissues nearby:

Choir Director finds out that her school won the competition

I hope this will be taken in the Christmas spirit I am posting it with, but I await a Good Friday reaction all the same. wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
WOW !

Rich,

Accolades to you and Tim for your support of this delightful Christmas tradition! This shows true community dedication and support and Cunningham Piano, Co. is to be commended.

All of the students, from both the Grade and H.S. competitions, will have the experience of a lifetime with the Pops and Peter Nero. The excitement will continue with the new pianos for the schools. Congratulations!

The Spirit of the Holidays lives on.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Great story, Rich. Thanks for posting it.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Wonderful in all respects!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Rich, That is what makes music fun. Community interaction! It is amazing how music can bring together two parishes that were recently uprooted from churches and schools that were built by past relatives generations ago. Involvement in community music organizations has a positive effect that reaches much further than we realize.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I hope this will be taken in the Christmas spirit I am posting it with, but I await a Good Friday reaction all the same. wink

You have posted this sort of local good-will story many times on the Piano Forum. I never detected that it was a seasonal offering for Christmas. Also, you are hardly the martyr that you infer here.

Since you mention business as in "I love this businesss", I would ask you why you among all participating retailers here direct so much attention to the local goodwill aspects of your business. Certainly you are unique in doing so. The question is -- have you found a business metric that eludes all others, or have you meandered down a path that others feel prudent to avoid? If you have to apologize in the opening post for self-promotion, it may well be the latter.

My understanding is that there is still room for good will in the musical instrument business, and that virtually all successful retailers get involved in efforts that don't have an immediate dollars and cents impact, but create relationships that may be fruitful indirectly. I know a couple of local examples myself, but not through the piano biz, rather from reports of schools who appreciated the help.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with that, and with both public and private schools feeling the budget squeeze, there's a lot that's good about it. But why carry on about it here?

Since the time that was lacking when you put up the Cunningham manufacturing video here now seems to not be an issue, I would politely ask you to invest a little of that time in pulling down that video from youtube until the Ningbo DNA of the new Cunningham is no longer hiding behind a Hamburg Steinway soundtrack. There are more than 500 page views now. You and I both know that a lot of those who enjoyed the seductive sound are clueless as to its true origin. Pulling the thing down would be a different kind of goodwill and probably wouldn't earn you facilely keypunched accolades here, but the value of truth goes further.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Bah-Humbug, Turandot.

How many other dealers do you know of who are donating two pianos to local schools? Hmmmm? Cunningham Piano wasn't selling anything, they were giving it away.

If there are any, they should feel free to post it here and receive the accolades from the membership of this forum.

Enjoy the coal in your stocking this Holiday Season. You deserve it.

Marty in Minnesota

Online Content
Originally Posted by turandot
[quote=Rich Galassini] Since you mention business as in "I love this businesss", I would ask you why you among all participating retailers here direct so much attention to the local goodwill aspects of your business.
Maybe because he does a lot more of this goodwill than most.

(Just another typically nasty, mean spirited, and obnoxious post from T.)

Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Dear Turandot,

Try actually clicking the link. I posted this because the choir director's interview was touching to me. You might feel the same.

Happy Holidays to you!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
How many other dealers do you know of who are donating two pianos to local schools? Hmmmm? Cunningham Piano wasn't selling anything, they were giving it away.

If there are any, they should feel free to post it here and receive the accolades from the membership of this forum..

We lend dozens of pianos to public schools in Maryland every school year. This year we have over 50 out on loan.

I don't do it as a donation, but rather in return for publicity which accounts for a significant percentage of our sales.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen,

Congratulations on your support to your local schools. Whatever the motivation for your piano loan program, I am sure that it is greatly appreciated by the recipient schools, students, and the parents. Obviously there is a need, and you choose to fill the gap.

Good Job, Dude!

Marty in Minnesota

These promotions also help promote music in the schools. My town's elementary school choir was one of the choirs in this program, and I can tell you that everyone was talking about it. The importance of music programs is brought to the attention of people who normally do not think about what happens in school beyond basic education. Music education in our schools is being threaten because of budget cuts, and anything to help promote music in schools is welcomed. Thanks to Rich and Cunningham Piano for supporting this program. Congratulations to all the choirs in the programs. We have some excellent school choirs in the Delaware Valley!
BTW-The Princeton school choir was not in this program. I work in Princeton, don't live there-way too expensive!

Last edited by wcctuner; 12/08/12 02:31 PM.

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
L
L
This is a very touching interview, which shows the remarkable power of music.

Thank you, Rich, for posting this.

Have a good weekend,

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen [/quote

We lend dozens of pianos to public schools in Maryland every school year. This year we have over 50 out on loan.

I don't do it as a donation, but rather in return for publicity which accounts for a significant percentage of our sales.

Steve Cohen,

I applaud your generosity and transparency!
Here's Kudos to Honesty!

fingers

Playing piano at age 2, it was thought that I was some sort of idiot-savant. As it turns out, I'm just an idiot.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thank you Rich for posting the article and many thanks to both Rich and Steve for supporting local schools and young music students. The future of music and piano study depends on new artists. If it increases piano sales now and in the future, all the better!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I will vouch for both Rich and Tim. Through their company and personally, both are very generous with time and support of music in the Greater Delaware Valley Area. The list is very long and many on the list are only possible because the business they are in puts them in the position to be involved.

I don't think there is any attempt or expectation of fooling anyone about the fact that Cunningham Piano is a business. Rich and Tim are musicians as well as businessmen. Right next to the hearts on there sleeves they wear their salesmanship. It is easy to be cynical these days. But lets not over look their track record since they took ownership of the company.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Rich: Glad to see your continuing what has become of sorts a tradition..on B101 radio with the schools contest! good luck to all..! It be nice to hear other dealers do this around the country with their own local radio stations.. and do the same. smile

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission