2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 190 of 341 1 2 188 189 190 191 192 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
Another youtube vid from me.

"Everything happens to me"

http://youtu.be/WRfK7m0GkEM

Lovely version Beeboss.

So what did he teach you about harmony in the first lesson?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I guess I have transcribed at least 20 Jarrett solos (along with plenty from other players), but I don't do it anymore as I realised the ultimate futility of that approach. I still do occasional transcription nowadays but not really whole solos, just a few chords/lines/ideas here and there. Although having said that I have been doing a Tristano transcription in the last week, more for amusement and as an aural exercise than to work out his licks.

What do you find to be futile about transcriptions? I've had mixed feelings about them, but I've come to think that they can help with getting new ideas under your fingers and buried in the subconcious for expanding creativity. I guess if you've done alot of any player in particular it might get to be less valuable, and it's probably not good to absorb too much of anyone...if you're goal is having your own sound.

By the way...did you write out all the KJ transcriptions you did? If you did and still have them I wonder if it would be too much trouble to share some of them?

R
R
beeboss, sweet job as always. what's that thing on top of the keys on the right, a book or some recording device?

I'm of the thought that transcribing note for note solos is not worth doing. Because you simply can't assimilate so much stuff. I do take snippets or a fews bars and try to see what the player was thinking.

I've been wanting to transcibe left hand chords to see voicings but my ears are crap and it's futile.

wee, where are you playing these days? I think I read you got a regular gig at a place, good stuff.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I just recorded a practice session. Lots of repetitiveness and fingers leading the note choices. But moments (maybe brief) of ideas coming out, particularly later. I just kept the LH away so I could concentrate on the rhythm (just like Scott). I think the rhythm improved.

ATTYA Practice Solo
http://www.box.net/s/ps6te1ikk73beeuq34f2

Thoughts?

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
sounds nice. I like that your lines are getting longer, and imho, the phrasing and flow has also improved.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
sounds nice. I like that your lines are getting longer, and imho, the phrasing and flow has also improved.

Thanks Knots, I just integrated more bebop elements. I'm not sure how much I will actually use of bebop as my voice settles but it certainly helps with the flow to always have it handy on the fingers. I think I was missing that.

My Jazz Blog

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Wow Jazzwee, haven't heard you in awhile, I'm amazed with your progress. Beautiful sound and forward motion phrasing.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dave Ferris, Hi. I remember that you posted a beutiful take on Darn that dream awhile ago. I also vaguely remember that you posted the score of it. I'm working on it at the moment. Would it be too much to ask you to post it again?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I just recorded a practice session. Lots of repetitiveness and fingers leading the note choices. But moments (maybe brief) of ideas coming out, particularly later. I just kept the LH away so I could concentrate on the rhythm (just like Scott). I think the rhythm improved.

ATTYA Practice Solo

Thoughts?

See how fresh it sounds without the LH going plonk plonk all the way through?
Good stuff.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Another youtube vid from me.

"Everything happens to me"

http://youtu.be/WRfK7m0GkEM

Lovely version Beeboss.

So what did he teach you about harmony in the first lesson?

Up to that point I had always considered that the idea behind scale choice (and consequently the harmonic concepts that come from scales) should be based on consonance with the harmonic framework. I would always try to use the scale that sounded most consonant, and he made me question that and start exploring the notes that are not so consonant. It sounds obvious now but 17 years ago that was a new idea to me.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
I guess I have transcribed at least 20 Jarrett solos (along with plenty from other players), but I don't do it anymore as I realised the ultimate futility of that approach. I still do occasional transcription nowadays but not really whole solos, just a few chords/lines/ideas here and there. Although having said that I have been doing a Tristano transcription in the last week, more for amusement and as an aural exercise than to work out his licks.

What do you find to be futile about transcriptions? I've had mixed feelings about them, but I've come to think that they can help with getting new ideas under your fingers and buried in the subconcious for expanding creativity. I guess if you've done alot of any player in particular it might get to be less valuable, and it's probably not good to absorb too much of anyone...if you're goal is having your own sound.

By the way...did you write out all the KJ transcriptions you did? If you did and still have them I wonder if it would be too much trouble to share some of them?

I realised that if one wants to emulate Jarrett (for instance) then a better way of doing it than reproducing some solo note for note is to try to emulate his skill set. With his in mind I started studying Bach and working on developing focus and rhythmic approach, and this has proved better for me (although I still have 667 years to go before I can catch up with J).

I will try and post some J's transcriptions that I did.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Redux
beeboss, sweet job as always. what's that thing on top of the keys on the right, a book or some recording device?

I'm of the thought that transcribing note for note solos is not worth doing. Because you simply can't assimilate so much stuff. I do take snippets or a fews bars and try to see what the player was thinking.

I've been wanting to transcibe left hand chords to see voicings but my ears are crap and it's futile.

Whilst transcribing is not my choice way to approach learning jazz it is very very good for helping to develop the ears, and good ears are the no. 1 thing we need to play jazz.

btw the thing is a metronome

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Still Beeboss, it's hard to imagine what one self would sound like without doing transcriptions. You're a very accomplished player after all and I'm sure the assimilation of the Keith stuff is a part of it..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Imo, it's a waste of time transcribing. That said, I think that playing with say the Standards trio is far much beneficial. Put on a tune, then play-a-long. Tempo to fast? Get Amazing Slow Downer.
Too much too fast? Loop 4 bars. Listen and imitate. But don't write it down instead, internalise it. Get those inner ears working.
Let's say, learn a II-V lick by heart, play it to to speed. Transpose it to all keys, etc.
Bert Ligon's example of ATTYA. http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/Jazz/transcriptions/JARRETT%20EXERCISES%20b.htm

But don't spend the time writing it down. Why? Well I'm not going to a gig to sit there with manuscript paper and write my solo, I'm going to play it in real time.

That said again, I do admire those that do take the time to transcribe on paper.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I realised that if one wants to emulate Jarrett (for instance) then a better way of doing it than reproducing some solo note for note is to try to emulate his skill set. With his in mind I started studying Bach and working on developing focus and rhythmic approach, and this has proved better for me (although I still have 667 years to go before I can catch up with J).

Good point. Curious... how do you figure 667 years to catch up with KJ? smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Imo, it's a waste of time transcribing. That said, I think that playing with say the Standards trio is far much beneficial. Put on a tune, then play-a-long. Tempo to fast? Get Amazing Slow Downer.
Too much too fast? Loop 4 bars. Listen and imitate. But don't write it down instead, internalise it. Get those inner ears working.
Let's say, learn a II-V lick by heart, play it to to speed. Transpose it to all keys, etc.
Bert Ligon's example of ATTYA. http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/Jazz/transcriptions/JARRETT%20EXERCISES%20b.htm

But don't spend the time writing it down. Why? Well I'm not going to a gig to sit there with manuscript paper and write my solo, I'm going to play it in real time.

That said again, I do admire those that do take the time to transcribe on paper.

I don't like taking the time to write out transcriptions at all... that's why I try to get them from other people! laugh

And I see you're point about just playing along and picking up stuff you like. I've not really ever tried that but the thought has crossed my mind. I still like the transcriptions though, as a way to hold on to some things for awhile and absorb them and think about them over and over. Whereas when playing along with recordings and assimilating ideas by ear, it seems that the ideas may not get buried as deep, unless you revisit the same stuff every day for awhile. Not that only working on things short term is bad, being that you can cover alot more material if you don't dwell on the same stuff forever. I guess both approaches are valuable in different ways. Oh, and I think my favorite transcriptions to work on are those that have both hands transcribed, particularly for working on rhythmic coordination and technique.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

ATTYA Practice Solo

Thoughts?

Thanks Klink and Beeboss. I was suprised you both liked it. The first minute sounded like crap to me. But I guess it did sound fresher as it went through.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I've done so little transcription and I still don't intend to make it a significant part of my practice routine. Every time I do a transcription, I realize that if I work it out in 4 note shapes, nothing is really ever that new.

Recently, I wanted to integrate some bebop into my playing. I just listened to shapes. I figure I can duplicate any short phrase just by hearing it. I can do it in different keys. So perhaps this is the reason I haven't needed to transcribe.

I've spent time working on pre-written transcriptions. But I'm bad at working out rhythms from the transcription. That prevents me from hearing it in my head. I have to just hear the original. It's only a problem with it goes super fast like Chick's stuff.

Interesting how we all have different approaches. Notice too how my lack of picking out riffs/licks gives me a different sound. Is it good or bad? That's for the listener to judge.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta

Good point. Curious... how do you figure 667 years to catch up with KJ? smile

Just a guess based upon my current standard and apparent rate of improvement.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Dave Ferris, Hi. I remember that you posted a beutiful take on Darn that dream awhile ago. I also vaguely remember that you posted the score of it. I'm working on it at the moment. Would it be too much to ask you to post it again?

Hey KK-here you go
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/darn-that-dream-solo-piano

and the music
http://www.divshare.com/download/11648449-86c
http://www.divshare.com/download/11648525-4ef

If anyone would care to make a computer copy of this in Sibelius or whatever, I would be forever indebted ...thanks

ATTYA Practice Solo

Thoughts?

Very good.. thumb

Page 190 of 341 1 2 188 189 190 191 192 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission