2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 248 of 452 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 451 452
S
S
I'm nearing the end of book one, starting on 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas' (should have a rough idea by Christmas.. lol). 'Good people' is the one I had most trouble with for some reason. But great book and enjoying it, looking forward to grappling with book two.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go Stephen!

I'm still on the Saints go Marching (both hands.) I'll be staying there awhile until I'm used to my new board and have better dynamic and tempo control. Plugging away...

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I've been working on my finger exercises everyday now. It is helping but its sloooowww. That's okay though. I'm still working on Saints go Marching (I'm going to hate that tune by the time I'm done LOL.) Switching hands shows me how advanced my left is to my right so I've been doing more practice on the right to get them up to speed. I've also slowed down my tempo greatly to work on better finger placement (the F chord still feels unsure to me) and better timing.

I added Fabers back in just so I had something easy to work on to relive the frustration/tension of it all. It's making practice more enjoyable.

Anyone else feel like they've gotten stuck on a spot like this? I know I'm improving but man it's like time has slowed or something....

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
S
S
There are some very high stumbling blocks on the way, but keep plugging away.
Seeing people on YouTube breezing through classic pieces, then saying they have only been playing three months is a bit of a kick in the ******s , maybe should be taken with a pinch of salt though...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL good thing I don't watch Youtube unless it's a video of someone here then! wink I've never found comparing myself to another is a good idea.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
S
S
I found Andrew Furmanczyk's YouTube lessons very helpful, so there is some learning on YouTube too. wink

Last edited by Stephen300o; 09/02/12 10:44 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a question or two. I'm having some difficulty going from C to F to G7. So I would like to find something (a song maybe?) to work on additionally with those in it. However looking up G7 is not so easy. It looks like to me that G7 is actually G V7 and not written as G7 in Alfreds.

So am I correct? It's G V7?

Also any suggestions for an extra song with those three chords in it relatively simple? (I'd prefer not to have to buy another whole book just for one song.)

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Is the difficulty in RH, LH or both, Becca?

What fingering are you using? In LH I use 5-3-1 for C (CEG), 5-2-1 for F (CFA) and 5-2-1 for G7 (BFG) and in RH 1-2-4 for C, 1-3-5 for F and 1-3-4 for G7.

The chord name is G 7 (G seventh) but in Roman numerals it's V7 (dominant seventh).

If you want to practise the LH chord changes by playing a melody on top or the RH by singing on top pretty much any 12-bar rock/blues will do. Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel, Johnny B. Goode, Tutti Frutti, Evangeline, etc.

If you want to stick with just C and F you could try Chuck Berry's Memphis, Tennessee or if you're a Pulp Fiction fan, You Never Can Tell.

Or is it that you need to practise reading the chords?

Richard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's my right hand for the G7. Doesn't want to do it, especially if I'm doing any chord in the left. LOL. I was using the fingering in the book (no idea right now, just got off 12 hour shift.) I'll try yours tomorrow.

Thanks for the song ideas. All of those sound good. smile (reading chords are easy, making my right hand switch between f and g7 is a whole different story!)

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
It's my right hand for the G7. Doesn't want to do it...

That sounds like F = 1-3-5 and G7 = 1-4-5 requiring you to move your hand laterally as you change finger 3 for 4.

With the fingering I've provided the third finger STAYS on F and the hand PIVOTS on it with just a change from finger 5 to 4.

It doesn't LOOK much different on paper but when I do eight swift chord changes at rock 'n' roll speed it sure feels easier my way.

Richard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
*went and grabbed book* Yes that is the fingering for alfred's. I'm going to try out your fingering today. smile I'll report back later (after tea to wake up lol)

Thanks so much Richard!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
It's my right hand for the G7. Doesn't want to do it...

F = 1-3-5 and G7 = 1-4-5 requires you to move your hand laterally as you change finger 3 for 4.

With the fingering I've provided the third finger STAYS on F and the hand PIVOTS on it with just a change from finger 5 to 4.

It doesn't LOOK much different on paper but when I do eight swift chord changes at rock 'n' roll speed it sure feels easier my way.

Also my way lets you change easily to Am (C-E-A, 1-2-5) from C (C-E-G, 1-2-4) and that opens up a few more tunes for you to try. The mother lode, in fact.

C-Am-F-G/G7 is the old I-vi-IV-V; Runaround Sue (pretty much anything by Dion and the Belmonts), If I Had a Hammer, Crocodile Rock, Stand By Me, Bleeding Love (Leona Lewis), I Will Always Love You, Walking In Memphis (juxtaposed: F-G7-C-Am) etc.

Richard
L
L
I've always found chords with my right hand more difficult than I do with the left - and I'm right handed.
Maybe subconciously we think chords with the left and melody with right??
I get days where I wonder who came in and changed all the keys on my piano because they're not where they're supposed to be and my fingers are all over except where they're supposed to be!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, tonight I was digging through all my books looking for a lullabye and realized what my issue is. I need to work on my basics: letter names while playing them, slow steady rythmic counting, hitting each note correctly. My basics are really weak (or I've just noticed.) So I've figured out to use about five books at one. One page of each, each one a different focus while still working steadily on Alfred's. So I've got Faber, lesson, performance, and technique level 1, Alfreds Adult basic level 1 and the jazz rock course (which is way above my skill now.)

I carried that out with my practice tonight and bingo! I left feeling really good. Fabers to reinforce the basics, Alfred's to move forward and Jazz for more advanced.

Tomorrow I'll mix in the chords with different fingering. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lyn: That kinda sounds right. My left can do both with ease but my right doesn't want to play nothing but melody! However I'm ambi so I'm not sure it's the handedness at work. Perhaps it's a way of analzing music?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
K
K
I just started playing piano and I was wondering if the Alfred books were only meant to be used to complement an actual course or can a complete beginner learn with those books without an instructor?

Keep on learning.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes you can learn from these. I started out with the Faber series, switch to Alfreds and am now doing both of them. I've been teaching myself since last Nov (with the exception of two months this summer.) Alfreds is an actual course. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
K
K
Thank you so much for the info. I will buy book #1 and see how much I can learn from it. smile

Keep on learning.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well I still haven't tried the alternative fingering for the chords. I slowed myself right down and with the extra pratice using all the books I have available I've managed to get my fingers to do right hand chords. I'm still working on those (found a good practice song Tambourin to go with it) and am working on the "G" position now. smile Slowly moving forward!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds good Becca! I just got Alfred's yesterday. On page 14- really love this book- best adult beginner's book I've come across!

Page 248 of 452 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission