2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jjo Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
For those who don't know, Esbjorn Svensson was a Swedish jazz pianist who, prior to his very untimely death a few years ago, lead a trio called EST, that was perhaps the most popular jazz group in Europe. His reputation here was growing.

I have just begun to explore his music. While they will never be my favorite group, I am finding great beauty and real creativity. They have some influences of rock and roll, and are somewhat reminiscent of The Bad Plus, although I much prefer them. They are anti-bop, in that they frequently rely on vamps with few chord changes that build and build.

I listen to a lot of jazz musicians I've not heard of, always in the search for something fresh and exciting. Most of what I try I don't like (or I think, why listen to this when I've got Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Art Blakey, etc. to listen to?). But, when I find a new artist, with a really distinctive sound that I can connect with, it is so exciting and inspiring. EST has done that for me.

I'm curious what others think. Here is a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KXq6RJ0PA

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
. . . (yawn) . . . I will say that these gentlemen know how to LOOK intense - or perhaps troubled . . . (yawn) . . . I was a little troubled too, with the (yawn) intonation . . .

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I liked these guys, sad about his untimely passing...(oops here we go) he had good time otherwise..

DF

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I very much enjoy their first two albums and I saw them open for Brad Meldah many years ago. I was stunned when I heard of his passing. He died in a scuba diving accident I believe.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I liked it. I'm all for infusing rock with jazz. These days, I wouldn't pay for jazz fusion type gigs, however this is the style of music that you're more likely to find in Sydney.

J
jjo Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Custard: Interesting that this kind of music is alive in Sydney. I remember a couple of years ago when I went to hear The Bad Plus, I found their music interesting, but not to my taste. I was thrilled, however, to be in a jazz audience where the average age was below 50. Can't tell you how many times you read internet posts with people scoffing disdainfully at such music, and then the next day lamenting why jazz isn't more popular.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting this jjo! I once briefly looked into E.S.T. and liked them, but I wasn't in much of a listening mood at the time so I forgot about them... until now. smile I really like their approach and I'm definitely going to listen to more now. Anyone interested in E.S.T. should check out the documentary "Icons Among Us: Jazz in the Present Tense". Lots of great up and coming musicians and interviews, really forward looking and interesting stuff.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think EST was a great group. I must admit that I can't listen to an entire album in one sitting, but then again, I can't do that with any other artists either.

Esbjorn was a true talent, and some of their tunes are just spectacular.

I find the comment about their intonation a bit strange from loPresti. The bassist is also amazing from all the stuff I've heard.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
I find the comment about their intonation a bit strange from loPresti. The bassist is also amazing from all the stuff I've heard.

Jazz bassists should not be allowed to play "arco" - it simply does not work out for them (the possible exception being Ron Carter). Did you actually LISTEN to the first piece?

I have a recording of the Oscar Peterson Trio where Ray Brown (he was a pretty fair bassist also) plays a chorus or two with the bow. It is almost "unlistenable"! How this piece on the Oscar Peterson album was ever approved for release is beyond belief.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by LoPresti
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

Jazz bassists should not be allowed to play "arco" - it simply does not work out for them (the possible exception being Ron Carter). Did you actually LISTEN to the first piece?

I had thought that you were referring to the heartbeat-like work on the bass at the beginning. The intonation of this didn't bother me for years until I listened on my home system, and then these notes started sounding bad.

The arco, bowing intonation has never bothered me. I believe it's supposed to sound eerie. On the other hand, usually bad intonation makes me feel sick. Maybe I'll notice a problem the next time I listen, I guess . . .

EST has been in my top 3 acts for several years. Svensson wrote most of the parts, from what I've gathered here and there. I'm not a big fan of their last album, though, when they went in a strongly different direction -- lots of electric, less organized. I would have liked to have seen where Svensson went after that album. I'm guessing that at some point he would have returned to his roots with piano-based material.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by charleslang
I had thought that you were referring to the heartbeat-like work on the bass at the beginning. The intonation of this didn't bother me for years until I listened on my home system, and then these notes started sounding bad.

The arco, bowing intonation has never bothered me. I believe it's supposed to sound eerie. On the other hand, usually bad intonation makes me feel sick. Maybe I'll notice a problem the next time I listen, I guess . . .

I seem to be stepping on a lot of toes here, so I'll stop commenting on this hereafter. But, Charles, I was referring to that opening bass riff, AND the bowing, AND a few other places besides.

Eerie sounds, created by quarter-tones, or eighth-tones, or glissandi, are one thing; and then there is just plain out-of-tune. In fairness, I have not listened to the other selection(s).
Ed

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LoPresti

Eerie sounds, created by quarter-tones, or eighth-tones, or glissandi, are one thing; and then there is just plain out-of-tune. In fairness, I have not listened to the other selection(s).
Ed

In fairness, I have listened to the other selections, and based my opinion on the body of work, rather than the opening phrase and other areas you are focussed on. In any case, my toes are fine. Maybe my ears are shot though?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As a side note, for those interested in great bass players who play in tune check out Renaud Garcia Fons. He plays the bass up in the snow, and perfectly in tune. I saw him live, and was absolutely impressed with not only his virtuosity, but his musicality as well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Esbjorn was a wonderful pianist.
Heard a very special concert of his in Prague , back in 2001.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
His music arranged and orchestrated for full orchestra.
Stockholm Concert Hall

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
thanks chrisbell,
but when i clicked on your link, didn't get the option for listening.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Listening? The concert is on the 12th of June. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
thanks, chrisbell
are you going ?
if so, it would be nice to hear your response to this concert afterwards.
i'd love to be there.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately no. I'm on tour.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice to speak with you,
The concert I heard was Esbjorn and Nils Landgren on trombone in a small concert hall in Prague. Wonderful performance and concert.

Best wishes on your tour.
Are you playing solo, with an ensemble ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission