2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by wr
Then you have a disagreement. So what? It's not algebra.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Not really. It's a consensus of knowledgeable opinions, not one knowledgable person's opinion.

I think that is exactly what I am saying. Two knowledgeable people disagree on what is masterful. One says it is. The other says it isn't. To extrapolate: two groups of knowledgeable people have a similar disagreement. What then?
Then there is no consensus about that particular piece. The point being made was that "knowledgeable" people are the best to decide on the quality of a piece. Whether they can reach a consensus on a particular piece or whether two knowledgeable people agree about a particular pieces is irrelevant to the point being made.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr

This is the absolute beauty of art, that exists in no other endeavor on earth: no one is wrong. What you believe is your reality. To tell people they are wrong about what they feel when they partake in art is, to me, the greatest error one can make regarding that art.

Who said anything about people being wrong? But, now that you bring it up, you're wrong. If artistic endeavors and people's responses to it were as solipsistic as you imagine, we wouldn't have any, because there would be no commonality of experience.

But there is some kind of commonality. And there are also varying degrees of talent, experience, and education in regards to it, as well, on the parts of everyone participating.

Of course, anyone can have whatever private experience they want with it, and can value it to whatever extent they like. And that isn't wrong. What's wrong is to imagine that one's personal reaction to art is the only valid criterion by which an entire culture is measured.

I'm not sure that this disagrees with me at all, so to your point, I believe that you're wrong when you say that I'm wrong. laugh (And I do agree almost entirely with your post, to the degree short of saying that common experience necessarily is capable of defining reality. Separate from an artistic discussion, and really more of a philosophical one, individuals still create their own reality in their own heads. Unless we're talking about schizophrenics, in which case, an entire community could indeed live within one's head.)

I would like to bring up an honorable mention: if art were as archaic, academic and obtuse as the word solipsistic, it might indeed vanish. I do, however, applaud your vocabulary. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
Then you have a disagreement. So what? It's not algebra.

Not really. It's a consensus of knowledgeable opinions, not one knowledgable person's opinion.

I think that is exactly what I am saying. Two knowledgeable people disagree on what is masterful. One says it is. The other says it isn't. To extrapolate: two groups of knowledgeable people have a similar disagreement. What then?
Then there is no consensus about that particular piece. The point being made was that "knowledgeable" people are the best to decide on the quality of a piece. Whether they can reach a consensus on a particular piece or whether two knowledgeable people agree about a particular pieces is irrelevant to the point being made.

I apologize for answering in two posts. I thought these were separate conversation best kept apart.

I am perfectly fine with your response, and believe me or not, I actually agree with you on this point. I would like to take your words, "Then there is no consensus about that particular piece," back to the original postulation:

Are we 'doomed' to have less masterful works as the most popular works?

Again, if there is no consensus, which you have agreed is possible, then how can we say that that particular work is necessarily less masterful than others?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission