2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
[Linked Image]

I have some trouble playing this left hand sequence. It's like the weight of my hand after the first 3 arpeggio notes and the location of the F# black key prevents me from playing it with speed. I currently finger it 1-2-5 1-2-3-4. I can play it no problem if the F# were F-natural (a white key), but since the F# black key is up there it's hard to reach and it takes a moment.

When I try to play fast, either there's a short pause between the G to F# (screwing up the rhythm), or I crush the E-flat key with my 2 while trying to hit the E (screwing up the tune), or the F# is super loud because I'm trying to play faster and my hand is so stiff (which screws up the musicality)

This passage is from the 9th measure of Bach's Partita 5, 1st movement (Preambul). I've been working on this movement for the past few months and can play the first half of it with good speed and musicality, except for that short sequence.

Any practice tips?

Thanks.

-"RollingTenths words of wisdom"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Practice playing the 2nd G (3rd note) and F# at the same time, this will help you relocate your thumb more quickly.

So the notes will be G, D, G&F#, E, D, C#.

To avoid hitting the Eb, do the same with the F# and E. This will insure that while your thumb reaches for the F# your 2nd finger will also be moving for the right note pre-emptively.

So the notes will be G, D, G, F#&E, D, C#.

This stuff is so hard to explain in text lol.

Last edited by debrucey; 12/02/12 07:53 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I find it easier to play the F-sharp with 2, rather than have to shift my hand from and outer position with the thumb on G, then move my hand inwards to hit the F-sharp with the thumb. For me, it's also more accurate that way.

My fingering would be : 1, 2, 5, 2, 1, 2, 3.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use 125 1234. I find it works OK if I play the first three notes with the hand well in toward the black keys instead of at the edge of the whites.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Everyone here has probably already answered the question about this passage. I'll add some possible causes you may want to check out, but the other posts are dead-on.

Like Ferdinand and Bruce said, you are feeling this most-likely because your hand is too far out on the keys. That means you have to "reach" in to hit the F#. I'm going to add another possible symptom here: stretching. Due to the reaching issue, you may be holding onto the keys too long, and stretching your hand out to "muscle" the next note.

This could have a lot to do with why you miss the E, and maybe not so much the F#. Your hand never gets completely to the right to play the four down notes. It stays to the left, where you just played the G, and now you're reaching to get up to the F#. Debrucey's exercise is one way to check for this hand position issue and combat it.

Other possible symptoms you may want to check for: a low wrist. If your hand is getting well into the black key area, you could be missing the E because of a low wrist. You're playing 1-2-5 on the G-D-G, and if you truly are in the black key area, you'll have to get your 2 over the Eb to play the E. A low wrist will hinder this.

Also, twisting. If you're truly outside the black key area, you could be twisting to get from the low G to the F#. This would cause you to miss the E also.

These are the "major" issues that are pretty visible and easier to check. Give it a shot and let us know if it doesn't improve your passage.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
This little thread has so much of value in practicing method it boggles the mind. I would use BruceD's fingering and apply Debrucey's practice method while remaining very aware of what the hand is 'up to' as per Derulux's observational advice.

I will add - get the two practice snippets (below) to speed (and faster) as quickly as possible, and once those motions feel correct to your mind and your hand and your ears, THEN practice THOSE motions slowly (the ones that worked well at speed)

snippet one in this instance the low G (5th finger) to the f#/e (2nd & thumb, played together)

stop on the f#/e and relax the hand completely.

snippet two is the f#/e (2nd and thumb, played together) and then d/c# (2nd & 3rd fingers, played together) as fast as possible and pianissimo.

Stop on the d/e and relax the hand completely.

If the mind is tired or the hand is tired... STOP and do something else.

Continuing to practice with a tired hand or mind will only cause you to practice and reinforce in the hand(s) those things that won't work. (I really should follow my own advice with this... but hey, do as I say, not as I do) :-)

as always, have fun!

Forrest

Originally Posted by BruceD
I find it easier to play the F-sharp with 2, rather than have to shift my hand from and outer position with the thumb on G, then move my hand inwards to hit the F-sharp with the thumb. For me, it's also more accurate that way.

My fingering would be : 1, 2, 5, 2, 1, 2, 3.

Regards,

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I prefer the OP's fingering, but either is fine.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission