2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 395 of 425 1 2 393 394 395 396 397 424 425
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IreneAdler
....I can not seem to achieve the correct sound in Measure 10, the sheet music seems to indicate that the melody in the right hand should be played in the same tempo as the left hand chords, but when I play it sounds discordant, which I know it should not. I know they should fit seemlessly together, but I am at a lost to understand how to achieve it. Do I need to change the pedal more that with the new chord in the left hand? Thanks!

I hope my answer won't keep other people from answering, because there could be different ways to see this. Here are a few thoughts....

BTW I'm pretty sure you mean measure 9; the counting of measures generally starts with the first complete measure.

Yes, you probably ought to change the pedal more than what you're doing -- but what makes you think you shouldn't? It sounds like you're implying that your edition shows a pedal marking through the whole measure? If it does, I think that's an editor's addition; I don't think Chopin indicated any pedal marking. But even if he had, a 'continuous' pedal marking doesn't necessarily mean you don't change the pedal in the middle of it, sometimes even more than once. It's easy to fall into unmusical traps by assuming it means you 'can't' change the pedal, and in fact for years I committed that sin in the mazurka middle section of Chopin's F# minor Polonaise. Most of the measures seem to show a continuous pedal throughout the measure, but that's AWFUL, and in fact few top pianists follow it literally. I learned the piece before I realized that the marking doesn't necessarily mean that you hold the pedal continuously, and it took years for me to rethink it.

Actually in this case, maybe it might be possible indeed to hold the pedal the whole time and maybe could be very effective if you play the left hand very softly and do some nuanced things with the dynamics of the right hand; I'm not sure that could work and I can't test it out because I'm not near a piano. Anyway, I think the main answer is, yes indeed -- change the pedal, according to what your ear tells you.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I guess you mean measure 9? Yes, the first chords in the LH will sound a bit discordant because of C and B played together, but discordance also has its meaning, like conveying angst. Or do you mean something else?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Mark C and ChopinAddict
You are both right I did mean measure 9, this is what comes of hurriedly counting in Italian before posting one's question. My question about playing this particular measure is trying to find a way of playing it so that the two lines don't sound oppossed to each other. I will try changing the pedal more often in my practice tomorrow, but I know you need the sustain pedal to keep that wondrous singing aspect to the piece. I don't know quite how to describe the sound maybe muddled is a better word, as the notes before and after this measures sound clearer.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If the sound is muddled, yes, changing the pedal more often should help. Also, try to observe the dynamics (it will sound less dull and more expressive).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Originally Posted by IreneAdler
....I will try changing the pedal more often in my practice tomorrow, but I know you need the sustain pedal to keep that wondrous singing aspect to the piece....

OK, you're ready for the next clue! smile

I don't usually like getting into details like this unless they involve some major principle for piano playing in general -- and this does.

Wherever you do the extra pedal changes, play the next note softer -- softer than what preceded, and softer than what immediately follows. You don't have to do this; it's sort of "extra credit." smile
Feel free to leave it for much later.

While of course there are exceptions to everything, this is a good and fairly uniform 'rule' for beautiful playing of passages that have any amount of lyricism. It's a good bet that any famous pianist whose playing we find particularly beautiful tends to do this. It's usually subtle, and barely perceptible unless you're looking for it, or (I suppose) if you put an oscilloscope to it. grin

The reason this works is that a pedal change inherently makes the next note sound louder. So, in order to not have a "bump," we have to play it softer. Plus, it allows us to have a clearer sound with the notes that follow, because the softness of that first note will prevent it from competing too much with the new notes. This is one of the main 'tricks' for playing beautiful lines and creating great pedal effects: having a feel for which notes to 'soften,' sometimes seeming to be illogical and especially involving the first note after a pedal change.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have a listen to this tango by Pink Martini, based on the Andante Spianato. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek, to my ears, but it works:

La Soledad

Elene

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds nice! I just adore the Andante- listen to it a lot.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Favorite Waltz: E minor, Op. posth.
Nocturne: 48/1, or 27/2.
Ballade: 4.
Scherzo: 3.
Etude: 25/7.
Prelude: 24.
Mazurka: Don't know them well enough.
Polonaise: Op. 53.
Impromptu: 4.
Sonata: Very close, but probably 2.
Concerto: 1.

Last edited by pianojosh23; 12/03/12 11:58 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Y'all may be interested in this book:
The Piano Master Classes of Franz Liszt

(There is a similar book about Hans von Bülow.)

This is a collection of diary notes by Liszt's student August Göllerich, describing events he witnessed at master classes. It's somewhat like the anecdotes told about Chopin's teaching in the Eigeldinger book. My teacher has it, and today while we were working on the 48/1 nocturne, we looked to see if Liszt had made any comments about that. What we found was his takedown of a student who played it in an overly emotional manner: "Do not disturb yourself so much; it is by no means so bad!"

While practicing this piece, I've thought often of one of the points that Mark brought up, that there is so much going on in the LH and one must "subdue" it and make the few RH notes sing above it all. This piece has that challenge in spades, with huge handfuls of LH chords (later in the RH as well), so many of which must be played gently and kept in balance with the melody.

Elene

M
M
Regarding the too-loud left hand (several comments up) - could this be because the bass strings are boomier on our current pianos than they were on the old Pleyels? Or whatever Chopin played (assuming French piano)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's a good point; this is a common issue with many of Chopin's pieces, and it may well have been less of a problem on instruments of the 1830s and '40s. Also, there is more of a tonal difference between treble and bass areas of the earlier instruments; on today's pianos the registers blend together more. So melodies in the higher, more "tinkly" part of the piano may have stood out more distinctly without special efforts.

(It could be worse. My harpsichord teacher mentions that composers in different countries took into account the way their local instruments were made and what part of the range was loudest. For those of us playing the "wrong" country's type of instrument, this can be obnoxious, and there's nothing at all we can do to balance the dynamics.)

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's my teacher's teacher, Sheila Paige, giving a clear introduction to basic pianistic movements in Taubman Approach style. I think you'll find it useful. She uses the "Black Key" etude as an example, and you can easily hear the difference between the "before" and "after."

"How Motion Affects Sound"

Elene

C
C
Want to save a podcast?

I've enjoyed listening to the "Play it again, Swig" podcast for about the past year. The pianist's goal is to learn all of the Chopin Etudes. The podcast comes from Jocelyn Swiggert, a pianist and professor of music.

Play it again, Swig

I've found it very interesting to listen to over the past year or so. It's worth taking a look at, but she's at her penultimate podcast! If she doesn't get 100 reviews on iTunes by December 20 or she's going to retire the podcast. She has about 18 so far, so I figure there must be 82 Chopin fans around here who are also piano learners and would like to keep a resource like this going!

Go here to find the podcast on iTunes: Play it again, Swig (subscribe and write a review on iTunes)

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
(apparently it's Swigger -- no T) smile

C
C
Thanks for catching my typo, actually a mishearing from the podcast!

Jocelyn Swigger

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
C
C
I see she has 20 ratings, but only 13 reviews. It was 100 reviews that was the goal. Doesn't look like this one's going to make it to another season, so to speak! But two more days to go for all you would-be Chopin Etudes podcast lovers out there.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
C
C
Keeping up the Swig theme...

She posted a cool medley of Christmas Carols and Chopin Etudes. You can find the audio at the link as well as a video and on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEZ00LjAfs

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Scarily well done! Thanks for posting!

I wonder if Our Friend knew any of these tunes? I'm not sure when they were composed, or whether any were played in his part of the world. (Not taking time to look them up just now.)

Elene

I posted about this on Pianist Corner but figured it might be of interest here too.

After years of hearing Horowitz's recordings of the A-flat Polonaise, I just noticed a "cheat" that he does on the scale runs.

Check this out: smile

The runs are at 1:10, 1:48, 3:07, and 6:31. What he does is, he interrupts the left hand a few notes before the top and jumps it directly to the top note.

Why? A couple of things, I think. It enables the left hand to play the top note more brilliantly; plus, by causing a sudden drawn-down of the volume when he stops the left hand, it enables a more dramatic overall crescendo to the top.

Many would frown on it. I think it's great. Of course we have to be careful about monkeying with what the composer wrote, but.....it all depends, doesn't it? smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's fascinating to be able to watch Horowitz so close up.

I wouldn't be able to pick up on any "cheating" in the scale passages, though I do hear wrong notes at some other times. Whenever I've heard recordings of Horowitz playing this piece there have been obvious mistakes (Rubinstein too). It's refreshing to know they're human.

Elene

Page 395 of 425 1 2 393 394 395 396 397 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission