2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
axis_d Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello everyone, I want to get back into learning piano, and specifically get good at sight reading. I took lessons when i was 8 years old, until about 11 when I stopped. I've always had a piano around my house so I play in some form almost everyday, usually just goofing off, or trying to play things by ear. I learn stuff by sheet music once in a while, but I have to "count" the notes starting at C, and it takes me forever to learn a song. not to mention, I usually need to know what the song sounds like in order to play it too. Do you guys have any advice on teaching myself? any particular books that are good for a gradual progression in sight reading? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
First off, you have a piano. Secondly you can play a little piano. You should know that if you could play grade 1, 2 or 3 or whatever level you got to when you quit, you will be able to play to that level very, quickly. The rule is, generally, 6 months. It works like this. If you played when you were 8 and you are now 80, it doesn't matter to the brain, the brain will remember everything you learned, but the brain has a s l o w processsor chip that takes 6 months to bring it all back. To if you have the books, or you know what books you learned from, you can either go back to them 1, 2, 3, 4, what number of books and just start playing from the start of each book. But you must remember that you must play very slowly wihout any errors. If you are making any errors, you are going to fast. Your brain cannot play faster than the brain can process old knowledge through your fingers. You cannot play any faster than your slow brain will allow you to play accurately, error free. If you don't have those books or want different books, go to a music store and look at the piano music method books. There are at least a dozen to 2 dozen or more methods. They are pretty much all the same except some are colourful, have expensive cds included, whatever your needs are. You are a plano player so you know what it takes to play the piano and the priceless joy it will bring you.

A
axis_d Offline OP
OP Offline
A
thanks so much for the replies!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi, and welcome to PW.
I agree with comments above. In your case, you have to give a chance to your brain (and fingers) to remember what you have learned before. Start with easy pieces until you get some confidence. Then try to increase some dificulty (with small steps) and keep going.

Advices? First, enjoy every single note you play. Then, do not give up... I'm on the "self learning" side too and, sometimes, I lose track of the progress that I have and I get a little "disoriented" in this adventure. So, stay focused, and do not hurry. Playing piano is fun, but requires dedication and love.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Q
Q
This will sure get you up to speed with stuff smile.

Take it daily, 5 minutes only.

http://www.emusictheory.com/practice/pianoKeys.html

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
A good book for getting started with sight reading practice is Progressive Sight Reading by Hannah Smith. It starts very easy with hands playing in unison, and progresses from there. The little melodies are not very inspiring, but the book has lots and lots of them, which really helps you gain familiarity.

I also very much recommend keyboard note trainers. like the ones at
http://www.emusictheory.com/practice.html
http://www.musictheory.net/exercises
http://www.teoria.com/exercises/index.php

or for something a bit different
http://www.prestokeys.com/

There are also similar apps for smartphone.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
How about the Alfred Adult All-in-One books? Books 1 & 2 have active threads here on PW, so you will have plenty of company. There are CDs that come with Books 1 & 2, but they're poor, IMO; YouTube is a better way to find out how the pieces sound).

Good luck with re-entry!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission