2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I recently had a piano shipped from east to west coast by what I thought was a reputable piano mover. The piano arrived with damage to the finish in some large areas. The affected areas have the pattern of the shipping blankets 'rubbed out' of the satin finish, probably due to vibration during transport. I sent pictures to the piano mover who replied that this is normal during piano transport, and then gave me instructions on how to fix the problem myself using steel wool. This seems outrageous to me. What do you guys think?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
If they're reputable, the piano was insured during the move (usually with a deductible). Tell them the piano is damaged and you want to file a claim. Note that depending on the extent of the damage, the repair might well fall under the deductible in which case you'd have to pay it out of pocket.

Greg
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I agree with BB Player. Also, steel wool and some flattening paste may indeed be all you need. A good touch-up artist could likely fix it in under an hour.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I agree with BB Player. Also, steel wool and some flattening paste may indeed be all you need. A good touch-up artist could likely fix it in under an hour.

I have a BB and agree with Steve who agrees with BB who has a BB. But as he implies, don't try to do this yourself. Hire a touch up artist(look for a good one). IMHO this is not something one should try yourself even if given "instructions".

My satin ebony BB had some minor scratches on it after delivery. The dealer sent a good touch up guy at no charge and he made them disappear.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/21/09 01:19 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with pianoloverus who agrees with BB who agrees with
Steve.

It's normal to have some marks.

My new pianos often come with some marks on the satin finish.
Call a Steinway dealer in your area and see who they recommend.
They are very use to this issue smile

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree with Rod who agrees with Steve who agrees with BB who agrees with pianoloverus. Though it is not a rocket science,the goal is to make the rub out stridations perfectly straight. The large areas such as the lid are easier said than done. wink

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Pianobroker and Rod and Steve and BB and pianoloverus, is this really "normal during piano transport"? This sort of problem may be common, but surely it should be possible to move a piano without such damage happening?

G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
BTW. The piano in question is a BB.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Due to its excellent rubbing characteristics, hand-rubbed satin finishes are most commonly done in lacquer. (at least the top-coats anyway) However, the very characteristics that make lacquer ideal for rubbing, also make it more prone to unwanted blemishes, such as occurred on your piano.

That there are some marks from a moving blanket, after a 3,000+ mile trip (over 4,800 kilometers for david smile ) is not surprising. Still, it seems as though this is something that could/should have been discussed with you before prior to the move. That would have allowed you and the mover to determine what the game plan is (who to call, who pays for what, etc.) if there were some blemishes.

Since this wasn't discussed ahead of time, and there is obviously no mention of such marks on the piano prior to shipment, it seems clear that it is the moving company's obligation to bring the piano back to the condition it was before the move. (i suppose this means i essentially agree with pianobroker, who agrees with rod, who agrees with pianolovers who has a BB, who agrees with BB who also has a BB)

I suppose it's also worth noting that there are some additional things that can contribute to these marks showing up after a move. One would be if the finish itself was particularly fresh...for instance if it was very recently rebuilt, and the finish was less than a month or 2 old. We once moved a piano to an event in Rochester, NY with a finish less than a week old. Not surprisingly, there were a few blanket marks, but fortunately we came prepared... Some months later, when the same piano was delivered to it's owner, (through a difficult move, also in NY) there wasn't a blemish to be found afterward. Another would be if the piano had some sort of polish/furniture cream rubbed into it. In that case, the moving blankets aren't actually 'scuffing' the finish, they are absorbing the polish. This situation can make matching the lid to the rest of the piano somewhat more complicated, but still do-able.

As pianobroker mentioned, rubbing out lid, can be fairly tricky, so do be sure to have a professional do the work. Best luck, smile

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am trying to attach a couple photos of the damage using 'Post Options - File Manager'. I'll see if this works. Otherwise I'll upload the photos to the Internet somewhere and provide a link.

My opinion is that the damage to the finish is quite severe. It is more than just a few marks. The finish of my piano looks 'reptilian'.

I verified that this piano mover is used by M&H and Steinway, and they told me the piano move was insured. I was shocked that the piano mover suggested I make the repairs myself, and tried to give me instructions on how to do it.

Attached Images
PA060152_1.jpg PA060155_1.jpg
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by glentek
I was shocked that the piano mover suggested I make the repairs myself, and tried to give me instructions on how to do it.

Movers usually don't know much about pianos even though they pretend they do. Advising an owner to do the rubbing himself is just sheer ignorance. I've had my fair share of frustration with piano movers, too.

I am trying to attach a couple photos of the damage using 'Post Options - File Manager'. I'll see if this works. Otherwise I'll upload the photos to the Internet somewhere and provide a link.

My opinion is that the damage to the finish is quite severe. It is more than just a few marks. The finish of my piano looks 'reptilian'.

I verified that this piano mover is used by M&H and Steinway, and they told me the piano move was insured. I was shocked that the piano mover suggested I make the repairs myself, and tried to give me instructions on how to do it.

I think the movers suggesting you make the repairs yourself is a bad sign. I would take pictures(I guess you have) and contact the dealer and the moving company. If the pictures are good, posting them here will help others more knowledgale than me to evaluate the problem. You may want to have a good independent touch up artist evaluate the problem, solution and cost.

Is this a new Mason BB? If so, I think the satin finish is clear lacquer over poly.

Whether the scratches(?) are minor or major or even they were there before the move, the movers and/or dealer should make it look basically perfect. I would say that even if the piano was inexpensive, which a Mason BB is not. If necessary, contact the M&H company.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/23/09 12:02 PM.
J
J
More to the point, posting here will make / break the reputation of the piano mover. It is their choice whether they want to make it right for you, or suffer the consequences.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Your photos didn't appear. Try using the form on this link .

K
K
Nice finish, but if you even look at a traditional satin lacquer finish the wrong way, you get a scratch. I used to have to prep the BB's satin finish out of the box, then maybe once or twice in the store, then post delivery. The same goes for Steinways I have had in here. But I can be fastidious. So your experience is not surprising and it may be less of an issue than you think. Lacquer is more delicate but less difficult to work with.

Where are you on the west coast? I am sure PW people would be happy to point you to a good cabinet guy.

-Kieran

Wells Pianos
wellspianos.com
new: Bosendorfer, Seiler, Hailun, Brodmann, Charles Walter, Pramberger
rebuilt: Mason & Hamlin, Steinway and other quality pianos
651-695-1000
651-757-6136
double

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/23/09 05:44 PM.
G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by David-G

Your photos didn't appear. Try using the form on this link .

I noticed that I did not reply to this, so here's my reply.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/PA060152_1.jpg
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/PA060155_1.jpg

Rhodes Model 3363 Electronic Piano
Yamaha CLP-50
Yamaha PF-1500
Yamaha P-80
Yamaha P-85
Yamaha P-95
Casio PX-700
Casio PX-110
Casio PX-320
Mason & Hamlin AA
Mason & Hamlin BB
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...by what I thought was a reputable piano mover..."

I just had to look back to assure myself that you said 'piano mover,' not 'furniture mover.' I am wondering, on what basis did you believe that they were a good outfit? There are really great piano movers; indeed, pianos are shipped halfway around the world every day without being damaged.

"...The piano arrived with damage to the finish..."

Right, it can happen. These things can be fixed up.

"...I sent pictures to the piano mover who replied that this is normal during piano transport..."

Now you have lost me--- the shipper cannot just blow this off. Most companies find this method of handling customer service way too expensive.

"...and then gave me instructions on how to fix the problem myself using steel wool."

Don't touch the piano with steel wool! You are not a refinisher; the way you describe it, it sounds like they are trying to void the insurance claim before it is ever made. If what you have told us is accurate (you'll admit it's scanty as to details), it is truly terrible.

You should be dealing with (1) the seller and (2) the shipper's insurer (and also, with the boss), then with (3) an (actually) reputable fine furniture refinish guy, perhaps one recommended by a local dealer of good reputation.

Clef

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

OK, so more than three years down the line, I would think it's safe to presume that you've actually taken some action. What was the outcome?

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Mark R.

OK, so more than three years down the line, I would think it's safe to presume that you've actually taken some action. What was the outcome?

Well...... things were a bit topsy turvy the past three years. So the short answer is nothing has been done. I have been more interested in playing piano than taking up another hassle, so that is my "excuse" for not pursuing the finish issue. However, I think I will send this discussion to the piano mover. They are well-known, and might reconsider their position if they see where this information is being discussed. I have not revealed the piano mover's identity here yet, but that could change. The photos I posted here are the same photos I sent to them 3 years ago.

Rhodes Model 3363 Electronic Piano
Yamaha CLP-50
Yamaha PF-1500
Yamaha P-80
Yamaha P-85
Yamaha P-95
Casio PX-700
Casio PX-110
Casio PX-320
Mason & Hamlin AA
Mason & Hamlin BB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission