2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 74 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 73 74
L
L
Hello! I too am new smile

My name is Elizabeth and I just turned 28. I started piano when I was 17 but was only able to learn for 2 years and then left for school. But I had such a fabulous teacher that I never stopped thinking about one day retaking up the piano. About 2 years ago while still away from home I bought myself an affordable Yamaha touchtone keyboard and retook lessons for about 2 months...then I decided to move as school was finished.

When I moved here I locked for an afforable teacher who was willing to teach me every other week but apparently that didnt exist. Well at least not from anyone who was qualified...

I started looking again this month and I found a great teacher whom is able to accomodate my needs (I also work shiftwork so I cant have a set lesson time) and just gave me a free 30 minute trial this morning...which turned into 2 hours!! I cant believe her generousity!!!

Im so excited to get back into piano, and hope I can get back to where I was previously. I like pop, rock and Im enjoying exploring classical.

Also I love reading, sewing, quilting, and my new kitten!

I look forward to becoming part of this community!
elizabeth

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to ABF Elizabeth!

Sounds like your off to a great start! smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
S
S
Hi, I'm Stefaan, 43 years old and from Belgium.
7 years ago I rented a piano and took lessons for some time with a teacher. After a while I had to part with the teacher because she sometimes forgot the appointments or cancelled on the very last moment. I thought I could continu by myself, but eventually gave up due to lack of a structured learning scheme...
Fast forward to several weeks ago: my daughter of 12 showed some interest in taking up piano, so I bought a Kawai CA65 last week and got going again. This time I'm learning from Alfreds Adults course and I have to say I find it well structured. Just don't like all the 'songs', but you can't have it all ... Right now I'm relearning Fur Elise ( at least the first 3 pages ) and it's going all right considering how long I didn't play.

Kawai CA65
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Elizabeth and Stefaan- sounds like you are both doing great.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/20/12 09:26 AM.
J
J
Hey guys!

My name is Jared Miller, I'm currently a 5th year senior at Auburn University. I am studying Accounting, and I will graduate in May of 2013 (can't wait!). I turned 23 this past August.

I have wanted to play piano for years, but we could never really afford lessons. I did play saxophone for about 10 years, and I also played French horn and various percussion instruments for band in high school. However, I found that I loved music, but didn't really love those instruments!

Fast forward to earlier this year. My roommate has a pretty nice electric piano in our apartment, and I had always wanted to learn, so I started playing around with it. I went through most of the Alfred Adult All-in-One Book 1 by myself, and then learned To Zanarkand (a wonderful piano piece by Nobuo Uematsu, a composer for the Final Fantasy game series).

I decided I wanted to get more serious about learning, so I sought out lessons. I saw that a friend of mine who was about to graduate with a degree in piano performance was looking to give lessons, so I decided to take from him! So, I've been taking lessons since mid-August. Currently, we are working through the "Little Music Book for Anna Magdalena Bach." So far I've learned the Minuet in G Major (4) and Minuet in G Minor (5), and I am currently working on Couperin's Rondeau (6) (Les Bergeries) and the Musette (22) (composer unknown).

Outside of piano, I love to sing, write music (though I haven't done that in a while, hope to get back into it soon!),read, watch football, baseball, and gymnastics, and I love playing board games with friends and family. That about sums me up!

Last edited by jaredm2012; 10/25/12 02:23 PM.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Jared! It's great that you've had the opportunity and initiative to make your piano wishes into reality.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
B
B
Hi, my name is Dave. I'm 33y/o and I currently work as a remote area paramedic and have plenty of time to spare (fortunately) for piano practice. I've a Wife and child that live in the city (about 1800kms away) and I fly to and from work every fortnight. I have just recently been inspired to learn piano, though I have no previous instrument playing experience except from a little music theory at high school. I've always wanted to learn an instrument and I especially enjoy listening to piano music, hence the decision. There is only one piano teacher in the town that I work from, and he does not commence lessons til next year, so in the mean time I shall be working my way through Alfreds Adult Beginner book which seems to be fairly well recommended online and at the music store from which it was bought. This is a great forum, and I will be following/searching it regularly looking for advice and tips over the coming months.

E
E
Hi, my name is Evelyn and. I'm 14 and I'm from Indonesia. I've been learning piano ever since I was 6 and during the past 2 years I have been slacking off a lot due to personal reasons and I was totally unmotivated to continue playing and I even thought of quitting! (thank god I didn't!) Then last month, I watched a very amazing and motivating classical music themed movie and I became really motivated. I know it's silly but I have loads to thank to the producer and the staffs of the movie as well as the actors who have done such a great job. I'm now aiming for a good music college either in Singapore (NAFA), England (Royal) or France. But then again, my parents aren't really thrilled with the idea so I need to convince them that I'll be able to do it. I'm taking ABRSM exams (now grade 7) and I'm looking forward to participating in competitions as well as piano festivals.

I have lots of projects that I'm working on right now and I have dedicated myself fully to the piano although schoolwork still gets in the way sometimes but I still manage to practice 2-3 hours a day.

I'm really insecure about my short fingers and I have a terrible stage fright and also my memorization isn't that good. I'll play really good at home but when I'm playing in front of people my mind went blank. But I hope I'll survive this Sunday for my Christmas recital.

Sinfonia 8 - Bach
Rondo Op 51 no 1 - Beethoven
Op 299 no 3 - Czerny
Berceuse - Frank Bridge
Piano Sonata No 1 3rd Mvt (Allegro) - Mozart
Hello my name is Brian from the Philippines, 25 years old. I began learning the instrument when I was six using my grandparent's Steinway and Sons. At the time of this post I don't have a full time job as I am the one taking care of our newborn.

My parents (especially my dad) was very strict when it comes to my piano lessons and practices. I can still remember that I was almost crying, begging him to put a halt to my lessons and tell my music teacher not to drop by for our weekly lessons. Worst part is that I was crying over a very simple folk song! Haha! Time came when he got me my own piano (It was a German made Kraus piano if I remember it right.) so that I could practice at home. Then at my request a Casio keyboard when I was at high school so that I can perform with a rock band. Sadly, I wasn't able to pursue music for college because computers were hyping up during those years and eventually my dad decided that I will get a more decent job if I will pursue a degree in computer studies than music. For more than 6 years I stopped playing the piano. I was only playing non weighted keyboards and the electric guitar for band gigs. I really didn't like the way it feels (keyboard) but I did learned a lot about it. I realized that my passion is really with the piano because after all of those years I still long to play a piano.

After a few years, I got married to my wife and now we have a beautiful 4month child whom I am planning to pass my knowledge about the black and white.

After shopping around for a sweet deal on a Digital Piano, (because an acoustic piano will tear a hole on our budget when it comes to it's maintenance) we got the Korg SP250 and I really hope that I will be able to regain the years that I have lost for not playing the same classic pieces that I was playing when I was a child. I have a lot of free time when the baby is asleep and that's when I sneak in to the piano for some practice.

Wish me luck! smile

Steinway and Sons
Winkleman
Casio WK-1800
Kraus
Yamaha
Korg SP250
C
C
I'm Mike, 33, Wales UK, grade 8 violin but brand new to piano (and loving it but so frustrated at the same time, wish I'd have chosen piano from the beginning!) I'm an airline pilot for British Airways based at LHR flying the 747.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Zushikikato and Captainderry,

You will find lots of support around here for your piano journey. If you have questions, just ask.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
I'm Claire, 31 years old, Manchester, UK.

Did GCSE Music at 16, hated the theory, and consequently failed.

Had a mid life crisis at 30 and decided I needed to so "ME" things, one of which was to try the piano!

Found an amazing teacher round the corner from me, and have been having lessons a shade over a year. Completed Alfreds Adult book 1 and 2, finished Carter Burwells Bellas Lullaby (twilight fans will know what I'm on about!) Working on Eric Claptons Wonderful Tonight!

I just wish I'd done this 20 years ago!!

Q
Q
Welcome Claire!
You've made VERY good progress!

C
C
Hi everyone! I'm new here, as of about a week or two ago. My name is Kristine. I'm a 37-year-old software engineer currently residing in Seattle, WA.

I came back to the piano about three years ago, after not having played for almost two decades (I took lessons as a child through high school). I'm currently taking both piano and harp lessons from the same teacher, who is wonderful -- if anyone is looking for a piano and/or harp teacher in the Seattle metro area, I'd love to recommend her!

I recently purchased my first piano (a sort of early 40th birthday gift to myself!) and kind of went whole hog with it by buying a Schimmel grand, which I am now desperately trying to live up to. The pieces I'm currently working on are Debussy's Dr Gradus ad Parnassum (I am utterly amazed by anyone who can play this at tempo) and Michael Newman's The Heart Asks Pleasure First (from the movie The Piano). I'm hoping to start learning some Gershwin songs next.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome cookiemonster!

That's a nice piano you have! And a harp is a beautiful instrument too. Pretty big one too.

I love The Heart Asks Pleasure First!

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
hi what can I say... I am 49, female live in the UK and love the piano. Started learning four years ago and have taken Grades 1,2, and 3. Not sure about doing Grade 4 yet as I want a break from the stress of exams. My teacher has said I can have a three month break and then study for the next exam. I just want to relax a little before the hard graft of the next exam

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello!
I'm new here, I registered a few days ago to sign up for MOYD 2013 (but during the last here I followed the ABF).
I'm 43, italian (sorry for my funny English) and I re-started studying piano in October 2011, after a 25 year stop; in fact I had lessons when I was 12-15 (I was not motivated, and my parents stop paying the teacher).
Now I'm taking lessons with a wonderful teacher, and I'm allowed to negotiate the repertoire to be studied.
I'm working on one of Bach Inventions (number 8, almost OK), one Scarlatti sonata (K78, quite difficult but starting to have a shape), Schumann Album for the Young (this was decided by the teacher, I find Schumann very hard), one of the Chopin preludes op. 20 (n. 20 in c minor) and one Czerny study (I'm WAY WAY under a decent tempo with it, and I started months ago).
I have to negotiate my practice time with my job, my family and the fact that both my children take piano lesson and use my beloved upright); so my time is usually late in the evening, with the digital, when I'm very tired!
For some extra motivation I joined the MODY 2013.

Alessandra

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hello, I'm 45 and this is my first year taking lessons.I live in Spain. I started lessons on September, but previous year I began with theory classes, too.
I'm having a lot of fun, so far, and my teachers say I'm doing well.
This forums are a great help for me, because I'm taking instrument lessons only for 1/2 hour per week (and 1 1/2 of theory and reading). It is so little time that I try to complement my learning on the web, and reading some basic harmony books, or transcribing some sheets with musescore, and so on.
I've learned some DP basics on the DP's forum, and already purchased one.
Now I'm focusing mostly in adult beginner's forum and teacher's one, too, for I'm a little disorientated with my piano teacher. But this is to be spoken in a proper thread.
Thans everybody here for being so kind and sharing so much.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Greetings,

I'm 23 male and have been playing for 1.5 years, have had lessons for about 5 months now initially starting by ear and general experimentation.

I had initially wanted to play piano and keyboard for years but never took it up or had the funding to do so until recently, unfortunately I could never get an upright as I simply don't have the room available to me at the moment so ended up going digital, looking for active communities that enjoy music and playing a variety of instruments to make friends, learn a thing or two and contribute anything I have to offer.

I am also part of several other smaller communities based around piano/music in general and enjoy listening to and learning from others on a daily basis, often taking turns streaming on-line and sharing recordings with others.

I hope someday that I can achieve my goals and go on to enjoy music for many years to come.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Last edited by UKIkarus; 03/05/13 01:18 PM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome, UKIkarus! smile What kind of music do you want to learn the most?

Page 46 of 74 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission