2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Colin Miles, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Our local MTA will be holding a masterclass with a professor who has agreed to do it. It will be an hour long program.

Classes I've observed had up to 5 student participants. I'm wondering if we should set a limit on how many can sign up for this. And if you want 5 students, do you allow 8 or 10 to sign up to allow for no-shows? What info do we gather from teachers entering kids: name of student, name of piece and/or level of student?

So far we have decided to accept differing levels. We have the professor and the location secured.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are you taking all comers? Perhaps you should have a screening mechanism of some sort. Many groups putting together a master class hold auditions just to make sure the "class" will be productive both to the student and to the audience. If you have more applicants than spots, you must have some mechanism for making choices.

No-shows? That should be unheard of. This class should be publicized as a special event of some importance, not a take-it-or-leave-it recital.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Our branch did this recently and we planned for 15-20 minutes per student. Students auditioned to be a part of the master class. If they are serious enough to audition they probably won't no-show.

Also, in some master classes I've attended the students have paid a fee for the privilege of participating in the master class (particularly if it's a well-known teacher).

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You have to consider the literature being performed. If it is an elementary student playing a 36-measure piece, 15 minutes for that student is sufficient. However, if you have an advanced student playing a sonata movement or a larger Chopin work, that student shouldn't get less than 30 minutes with the teacher.

Remember, there is also the introduction and conclusion time. That eats up more minutes than you think.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Many thanks for the responses! It wouldn't be all-comers, but would be students whose names are submitted by club members.

It does help to think of allowing at least 15 minutes per student, and that we can expect a degree of commitment from teacher/student that the student will show up.

I like the idea of a screening mechanism for making choices if we get too many applicants. And I'll float out the idea of an audition.

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Minniemay
You have to consider the literature being performed. If it is an elementary student playing a 36-measure piece, 15 minutes for that student is sufficient. However, if you have an advanced student playing a sonata movement or a larger Chopin work, that student shouldn't get less than 30 minutes with the teacher.

Remember, there is also the introduction and conclusion time. That eats up more minutes than you think.

Thanks for your input. We can take into consideration allowing more time for advanced pieces. And now I'm realizing we could extend the program to 1.5 hour length if needed.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 12/03/12 01:28 PM. Reason: clarity
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Thought I'd give an update. The masterclass was held today and was a great experience. There were six performers and everyone was there on time ready to go.

I cancelled the business meeting that is usually held after the program, and allowed 2 hours for the program. (Our space was reserved for 2 hours, but no one was scheduled after us.) Mainly I wanted to let the clinician have some freedom, and not be rushed. The class lasted 2 hrs and 15 minutes. (Such better use of time than a business meeting!!)

As it turned out, attending this class motivated me to get back to lessons myself. And it's all been confirmed by email--I start with a former professor on Tuesday. Yikes!

Edit: I am finding that 2013 is off to a good start. And this is especially exciting after the shock of turning 50 in October. smile

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 01/19/13 11:05 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Woot on all accounts Ann! And well done on getting back on lessons. I've had a masterclass myself last Wed and it went great! Revisited some thoughts that I hadn't had for a long long time...

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks Nikolas!

I asked myself why I post these personal details. And realized I was hoping someone would say "Well done". smile

I had been waiting for someone to email me saying that as club president I didn't have the authority to cancel a business meeting. But no one did. I suppose others were relieved not to fool with it.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Ann, I would think your fellow local chapter teachers are so relieved at your cancelling a business meeting that they might want to make you president for life!

I'm glad the master class was so successful. How old were the participants (assuming they were kids)? And do you wish to tell us a little about the teacher who led the master class? Maybe a name, and why he or she was good at the tricky job of conducting such an event?

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
LOL about being made president for life.

The participants were from age 8 to 16. The clinician was Dr. Bernardo Scarambone from Eastern Kentucky University. It's difficult to explain what an engaging and fabulous class he led. It was interesting and also humorous.

Lots of useful advice...ideas for enhancing the accents...ideas for helping kids with balance etc. He demonstrated 2 ways to end a certain Level 2 piece and had the kid say which one was better. He was showing the mistake of slouching off at the end of a piece letting the pedal hold the last chord vs. staying with the piece to the end. It was funny to see and he very good at demonstrating a point.

Then for a more advanced student, Dr. Scarambone explained how a trill is part of the melody. And he verbally demonstrated what you DON'T want to do by singing a few notes and then delivering a loud machine gun like trill, then back to the softer melody. Again it was hilarious, but made the point well. And his description of how in speech we don't emphasize the last worD. (He emphasized the D to demonstrate how at the end phrases the kid had played with the last note sticking out. Again, very effective and funny.)

He just has a wonderful way with students, and a generous spirit, and explains things so well. One idea about helping kids to hear the harmonic progression in a Bach prelude, was to play the chords blocked, listening to it as a hymn and listening for the progression, listening for tension and release. I thought it was great.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 01/20/13 01:42 PM. Reason: clarity
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
deleted

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 01/20/13 08:10 PM.
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for taking us into that event, Ann. Bernardo Scarambone sounds like a gem. I see that he is a younger fellow who hails originally from Brazil. We'll take note of his name and teaching abilities. (And your organizing abilities!)

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 01/21/13 12:34 PM.
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Thanks for taking us into that event, Ann. Bernardo Scarambone sounds like a gem. I see that he is a younger fellow who hails originally from Brazil. We'll take note of his name and teaching abilities. (And your organizing abilities!)

smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Good job! I love your enthusiasm.

piano teacher
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks Lollipop!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission