2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1993720 12/02/12 04:31 PM

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Greetings everyone! A group of PWF members organized as a team late last September to present the works of French composer Erik Satie. These were posted earlier today in a couple of threads on the ABF. It was suggested we create this separate thread for those who do not regularly view postings on "Rostoskys Serious Thread" and the "Themed Recital" threads.

Please enjoy! smile

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:13 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gymnopédie 1 - Griffin

Overall, it was a good learning experience.

I consider this recording of "Gymnopedie 1" to be just the beginning of a learning journey, and I would classify this performance as a "work in progress." I still have a lot of work to do on this piece such as more focused attention to the dynamics, memorization, etc. However, I'm fairly satisfied with what I've pulled together in a relatively short timeframe.

Now that I've gotten it to this level, I am looking forward to finishing my work on this piece. I was so close to getting it memorized. However, I knew I wouldn't meet our November deadline, and I did find a workable solution to the problem. I also plan to pursue learning the other 2 movements of Gymnopedie.

At first I was extremely reluctant to take on this project because of the extremely busy work schedule I typically experience in October. However, I'm now glad that I got the opportunity to participate in this team effort!

My thanks again to Richard for agreeing to do the Sunday classical postings, which also helped me free up more time to at least get this to a presentable level.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZUSL1Hh0dM0[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 04:49 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gymnopédie 2 - Dipsy

I think this is an improvement on last time (metamorphosis piece) because I this time I was able to create ideas about the structure of the piece. While playing I imagined a French peasant (represented by the melody)wandering in the country with church bells in the distance (the accompaniment). However, when it came to listening to it it sounded more like raindrops (melody) on a puddle - hence the video we chose! And fortunately the background noise on the recording sounded a bit like rain - which fitted quite well.

Excuse the slips - missed notes, chords sounding uneven and overloud and scrappy at times. The piano also needs tuning.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IMO-RBWEZTU[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 04:50 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gymnopédie 3 - PianoStudent88

I find Satie's Gymnopédies and Gnossiennes to be dreamlike, slowly wending their way through slightly unusual harmonies, repeating with very slight variations. The Gymnopedie No. 3 is in A minor in 3/4 time. The tempo marking is Lent et grave. A rhythmically repetitive bass line of single notes on the downbeat followed by a tenor triad on beat two grounds a reflective melody in the treble, which is repeated with a variation in the first phrase.

The challenge in this piece for me was not the fingering, but the nuances: playing the left hand softly enough to allow the right hand to sing out over it; trying to add subtle dynamics as marked in the score; seeking a sense of rubato. This performance doesn't capture the ideal of what I'd like to be able to do with this piece, but it captures the best of what I can do right now.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HngQaIUt7b8[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 04:52 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 1 - Peyton

What can I say... I love the mysterious quality of much of Satie's work. The Gnossienne's have no measures and some very strange instructions left to us by the composer. Instructions such as "Advise yourself carefully", "Very shiny" and "Postulate within yourself". I chose to play this piece a bit faster than many play it and I give the low F a steady drone using the sostenuto pedal.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT3uW83BuTE[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 04:57 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 2 - AimeeO

This is my first attempt at recording where people might actually hear it, and my first real experience
recording on my acoustic. What an eye opener! I got so self-conscious of my errors it was hard to emote! Next time! The pictures are purely filler of stuff in our yard.

Anyway. Gnossienne 2. I envision Satie running into that girl he was in love with, and the whole gamut of emotions that goes with running into someone you once cared a great deal for: the shock, the happiness, the self-consciousness and awkwardness, the spark of sadness in the end.

I thought the pedaling in this piece was extremely tricky. You need to be very precise, or it sounds warbly and drones on and on. Technique wise, I am having some strength issues lately with my left hand, so trying to quiet the chords and play them evenly was the biggest challenge. I'm not thrilled with my performance, but I am happy I got through it and was able to participate finally! It was a great learning experience. Special thanks to Dipsy for roping me in.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MaMjF4vEfj0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 04:59 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 3 - Rupak

I came to know about Satie by Gnossienne 3! I accidentally found it while browsing the performance videos of an youtube user. It moved me so much by creating an unusual feelings that I still can't express exactly: some kind of eerie dreams that I never dreamed before. But it surely has a strong hypnotic attraction that evolves from the combination of all the dark emotions it produces inside the listener, that's why I can't stop loving it and listening to it again and again!

About its interpretation, I was so confused! It looks so easy on the sheet, but the apparent freedom in its interpretation makes it quite difficult to translate the charm of the piece musically! During my journey of learning this piece I learned a lot by facing difficulties and trying to overcome them - one of most important of them would be controlling the dynamics of the left hand chords accompanying the right hand melodies. Overall, I had a great experience and I'm so happy to become a part of this recital!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wvq8-CN_Fl0[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:02 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 4 - Recaredo

I’ve read several theories about the origin of these pieces, but above all, this Gnossienne inspires me serene beauty, and this has been the viewpoint of my attempt to perform this music.

For the video, I’ve chosen some paintings by Joaquín Sorolla, a Spanish painter of the early twentieth century, together with the original manuscript of this Gnossienne.

I hope you like it.

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KYq8zdOtzrg[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:04 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 5 - LadyChen

I was first introduced to Satie's music as a teenager when my brother gave me this wonderful CD (http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-Williams-F...williams+barber). I loved the simple, melancholy sound of Satie's Gymnopédies. I've had the piano music for some time, but never felt like I could do this music the same justice as the orchestra on that CD. Thank you PW friends for giving me an opportunity and the encouragement to buckle down and learn one of these piano pieces!

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v3ClFG6F4hM[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:05 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 6 - dire tonic

Before signing up for this recital I’d not heard Gnossienne 6. In the playing I found myself a prisoner of the phrasing - mostly three or four beat motifs. I couldn’t find any continuity and Satie, rather than help us out, prefers as always to make fun of us with his cryptic directions (rigourous sadness, healthy superiority, haggardly).

Checking out YT I found a handful ranging from Leeuw’s clockwork to Pascal Roge’s wild and wonderful phrasing. In my hands that sort of thing would come out sounding contrived and ridiculous so I played it safe and sedate. Wish I'd played it slower but every take has something wrong with it; being mindful of one thing, I forget another. I’ll be going back to Roge later to see what, if anything, I can learn.

Anyway, it’s been a mixture of fun and exasperation and, the biggest payoff, after 50 years stuck playing exclusively between f and ff - a chance to try mf and p. Wow! Who knew? Still so much work to do.

When the thread’s up I’ll pour myself a large glass of wine and let your Gymnopodies and Gnossiennes fill the airwaves around me. What a treat!(monochrome, in a desperate attempt to add moodiness)

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mB0qzRYQ3r4[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:07 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 7 - Wayne33yrs

I too hadn't heard of Eric Satie until this recital. Although I have heard a couple of the pieces before. I chose Gnossienne 7, as I thought it sounded unique. The challenge for me was making it sound musical. This wasn't my best performance, but it was the best take I got. smile

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eFrV0kizyIQ[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:10 PM.

Carl

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Wow!!! Thank you everyone for this lovely recital!! Your playing is beautiful. I'm enjoying all the pieces and am inspired now to learn some Satie! Thank you for all your efforts and for sharing your playing. I'll be listening many times over in the days to come. smile

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wonderful! what a team effort!

Griffin - this is the only one of Satie's pieces that I've tried to play, so I can understand some of the physical challenges in getting it into good shape. I think you did a great job capturing the delicacy of the piece - and you made it sound easy! Lovely playing!

Dipsy - I enjoyed your performance, though the rushing water was a little bit loud at the beginning, it was a fun addition to the experience. I liked your description of the French scene, and churchbells. My church bells (about 100metres from my door!) were ringing as I listened and that added to the idea. Good work on getting this to the level you did.

Piano Student 88 - any recordings we do are wonderful "snapshots" of where we are in a given moment. I think that your performance was very good - you definitely caught the dreamy mood. It was very interesting for me to listen to all three of these pieces one after another and to hear their similarities and differences.
My compliments!

Peyton - interesting interpretation - I like the faster performance better than slower versions I've heard! Satie's instructions to the pianist are indeed rather odd. "Postulate with yourself"? I had a "hall of mirrors" feeling imagining myself wandering around in an absinthe haze of unreality. How's that for immersing yourself in the mood? Excellent performance!

AimeoO, what an interesting background story you gave to your piece. The challenges you mentioned with getting your recording are not at all obvious to my ear. I think you managed to get the voice right, and good job on the pedalling! I know from my limited experience what a beast that can be to conquer! your garden looks pretty too!

Rupak - you really did a super job on the dynamics in this piece. I see a smokey room, something rather Turkish, carpets, cushions, decadence, dreaminess, yes... but not the simple sleep of a child! Well done indeed!!!

Recaredo! That was wonderful - I'm so impressed with your progress! I missed hearing you in the ABF recital this time, but I can see that you were dedicating your time to something quite marvellous! I thought that at the beginning of the piece, the water in the paintings looked mysterious and dangerous - but as you went through it became lighter and welcoming. I loved being introduced to this piece, the painter, and seeing the original manuscript - what a great combination of sensory input!

Lady Chen - well this one is quite different isn't it? The left hand voice has a similar pom pom with the large leaps, but the right hand is such a different mood from the previous performances - it sounds as though Satie was in a much more cheerful mood! I think your performance was simply charming! Well done!

Dire Tonic...safe and sedate? Well, perhaps - but MOST enjoyable! I have to repeat what I said to Lady Chen - this one is different again - a completely different mood. Here I would guess Satie was content. Your playing looked so confident and though I'm not familiar with the piece, the tempo sounded well balanced to me. If you had played it more slowly I suppose it might have sounded a bit less content..hmm? Well, who knows? This performance was a pleasure to experience.

Wayne33yrs - This is different sounding! The first few bars had me thinking it was going to have a sort of jazz feel to it, but then, nope! This made me think of desert sands, a caravan, mystery, blazing sun and brilliant stars in a blue-black sky. Excellent dynamics. Well done indeed!!!

I'm so impressed with all the work that went into this Themed Recital - I hope that you are all feeling very proud of yourselves!!! I feel that I've had a wonderful introduction to these pieces and appreciate all the time and effort each one of you put into your performances.

What comes across loud and clear is that you all found challenges to deal with in these pieces - but that you also found your way through a unique team collaboration and support system.
It is also very clear that you have all ended up feeling something very special about your work, the group, and what you've learned through working on these very particular pieces.

What a wondeful start to my week - thank you to each and every one of you!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Valencia, thanks for listening!

Impressive feedback, Cheryl, as always! Your comments are extremely appreciated. Thanks!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm trying to give them all a listen today. this is very neat being able to listen to them in order and all by members of the forum. Dipsy, I love the video you show with yours. And you are right, the background noise actually works. The overall feeling of a rainy day on the water is enhanced.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
This recital is just great! These pieces look easy at first sight but it looks like the slow tempo makes it extremely difficult to maintain an even rhythm, plus dynamics and tone must be a nightmare to get right. Thank you for all the work you put in this!

I adore this kind of atmospheric music and I really think I will give it a try myself in a couple of months before starting Alfred's book 3, even if it's way above my level.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for your kind remarks Sinophilia and Valencia. Cheryl, thanks for the feedback. That's always helpful. Also, thanks for suggesting we set up this thread.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, great work everybody. What a nice Satie recital.
Congratulations to all.
thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hey Rupak, looking at those three red lights I would say you're playing a Casio Privia DP set on "modern" mode wink You certainly know how to make it sound good.

R
R
Thanks a lot to Valencia, Cheryl, sinophilia and CarlosCC for your compliments!
Cheryl, your feedback and comments are always encouraging to me! Your imagination of a smokey room is quite impressive. I never thought it that way, but it indeed matches with the illusive nature of this piece. Thank you very much for your enlightening comment!

Originally Posted by sinophilia
Hey Rupak, looking at those three red lights I would say you're playing a Casio Privia DP set on "modern" mode

You're almost correct, sinophilia wink It's indeed a Privia PX-135 model, the "modern" mode is showing but it's hardly producing any sound laugh I use it as a midi-controller and use some good software piano to get a decent quality piano sound with nice resonances etc. smile In this case I used Galaxy Vienna grand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission