2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
It IS kind of court trial. For some (many?) their future (getting a grant, or being accepted for conservatory) depends on it.

As mentioned above, I think the rationale behind 'age' is that at a certain age the kids leave school and have to decide to make a living with music or not.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don't auditions exist anymore? I mean, are university decisions being made by competition results? Is this prevalent mostly in the U.S. or does it exist elsewhere? Neither of my relatives went anywhere near such a thing.

keystring, you seem hung up on a particular kind of audition and/or what your family has experienced. If you look at the site I linked, which is a rather normal type of "competition," it is unlike anything you seem to be talking about. Most competitions are about selecting the best performers in certain age categories, because they presume that all entrants are serious students. They have no interest in adjusting for lack of training. They do understand that 9 year olds who have been studying for four years shouldn't be compared to fifteen year olds who have been studying for ten. But a fifteen year old who has only just started playing is simply out of luck. They shouldn't be at such an event, and it is not illogical for the organizers to behave in exactly the manner that they are behaving.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR
As an assessment tool, if I could compare children with the same time in lessons, I could evaluate the teacher.

It's one tool, but you have to take into account other things. There are teachers and, ahem, "music schools," who don't teach theory. At all. Zero. All they teach are hard pieces so they can send students to competitions. They can spend an entire year on one Liszt piece that the student plays at five different competitions!! This stuff really happens!!

I heard several of these kids playing Liszt recently. They were just horrible. Jaw-droppingly horrible. They missed a bunch of notes, played at wildly different tempos, and OBVIOUSLY the pieces are WAY TOO HARD FOR THEM!!!!!!! They were horrid in July. They were horrid again in November with the same Liszt piece. I can't believe their parents can be duped into (really expensive!) lessons when all they do in a year is one stupid Liszt piece. It's like winning a trophy is all piano lessons are about.

In all my years of teaching, I've taught exactly two Liszt etudes. My students generally aren't advanced enough to play Liszt. I don't even like Liszt (can't you tell by the Liszt-bashing I'm typing so far?). However, stuck in the same competition category as these Liszt kids, guess who won?

When you obliterate idiotic judges who automatically hand out trophies to kids who dare to play Liszt--no matter how poorly--then competitions start to make sense. And "fair."

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P*D, I am not "hung up" on anything. I've asked questions to understand. My last question was about university entrance in music because someone said competitions were a gateway to that. Since several people I know went the professional route, and a few of them are practicing musicians with degrees, and we looked into it, I was surprised because competitions were not part of the equation. That is why I asked whether this is geographic. It is also possible that things have changed in the last 5 - 10 years. The people I know who got into university passed an audition which was administered by the university, and also had to write a theory exam as part of the auditioning process. That is all I know of first hand.

Last edited by keystring; 11/30/12 06:00 PM.
I have encountered very few events like that, AZN. I'm sure they exist, and I'm sure that all too many families think of piano as a trophy sport and not as a tool of education. But I can't say I have seen very many piano events in which the outcomes were skewed in that manner. The horribly mangled, overly-difficult work is usually trumped by the very-well-played difficult work. smile

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
It's one tool more than I have now. <grin>

But it's not an ideal tool. Not all teachers enter all their students, and I can only hear a competition prepared piece.

It's a little like home schoolers taking college boards. They tend to do slightly better than average public school kids. But less than 1% of home schoolers take the boards, so you can't really draw meaningful conclusions one way or the other.

The ideal tool is the pop quiz.

We take all 3 year students, give them a new piece and an hour to prepare, and rate that.

Hee, hee.

gotta go practice
Originally Posted by keystring
P*D, I am not "hung up" on anything. I've asked questions to understand. My last question was about university entrance in music because someone said competitions were a gateway to that. Since several people I know went the professional route, and a few of them are practicing musicians with degrees, and we looked into it, I was surprised because competitions were not part of the equation. That is why I asked whether this is geographic. It is also possible that things have changed in the last 5 - 10 years.

Well, when you keep referring to age categories as illogical, seemingly without wrestling with the reasons why (and situations when) they can be quite logical, I begin to wonder ...

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Well, when you keep referring to age categories as illogical, seemingly without wrestling with the reasons why (and situations when) they can be quite logical, I begin to wonder ...

Have you read all of each post, and succession of posts? As more is learned, they change? A problem in Internet reading is often a tendency to skim and react to impressions. I have done that myself at times.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
We take all 3 year students, give them a new piece and an hour to prepare, and rate that. Hee, hee.

Hee Hee.... I like that too. I prepare my students extensively in ability of sight-reading, I am sure they can do well in this pop quiz.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
The horribly mangled, overly-difficult work is usually trumped by the very-well-played difficult work. smile

This reminds me of another competition I attended. Organized by a few local teachers. There was plenty of accomplished playing at the elementary and middle school level. But the high school level had only two entrants. These two couldn't remember their piece, had poor stage presence and made the audience as miserable as they were. Yet they both got a trophy (1st and 2nd place). It looks like an accomplishment on paper though.

So this is another problem that can arise. There's the question of whether winning means anything.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
But the high school level had only two entrants.

It is a trend that most kids quit piano before high school; however, in my MTAC branch we always have excellent players at the high school level, even going past Level 10 and doing higher-level competitions and auditions. It's tragic that very few of them actually become piano majors! They just keep playing piano because they like it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
... excellent players at the high school level, even going past Level 10 and doing higher-level competitions and auditions. It's tragic that very few of them actually become piano majors! They just keep playing piano because they like it.

What is tragic about this?

Learner
Hmmm, sounds like MY son. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
... excellent players at the high school level, even going past Level 10 and doing higher-level competitions and auditions. It's tragic that very few of them actually become piano majors! They just keep playing piano because they like it.

It is tragic because those talents will go to waste once they're done with lessons. There is a huge difference between having college-level piano training and not having it.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
... It's tragic that very few of them actually become piano majors! They just keep playing piano because they like it.

It is tragic because those talents will go to waste once they're done with lessons. There is a huge difference between having college-level piano training and not having it.

The problem is that the employment outlook of the music majors is not particularly bright. Financially it is probably better to be a dentist (or even a programmer) and amateur musician. As much as we love music, we have to face the real life.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
... It's tragic that very few of them actually become piano majors! They just keep playing piano because they like it.

The problem is that the employment outlook of the music majors is not particularly bright. Financially it is probably better to be a dentist (or even a programmer) and amateur musician. As much as we love music, we have to face the real life.

You can be a music major and still go on to dental or medical or law school, or whatever. Lots of graduate programs look favorably upon music studied in undergrad years.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Still, what's the tragedy?

The kid 'coulda been a contendah' but chose to pursue a professional career outside of music?

Learner
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
It is tragic because those talents will go to waste once they're done with lessons.
I don't think you can be sure about that. Just speaking from my own experience, even though I have degrees in music, they're not in performance, yet I ended up with an immensely satisfying career as a performer. If the passion and motivation are there, they'll do something worthwhile. If it's not, a performance degree probably won't do it for them.

Du holde Kunst...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission