2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1992603 11/29/12 10:43 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I know just enough about room acoustics from home theatre design to be dangerous
That being said the lowest bass note your speakers can generate could be limited by the room size
I'm assuming that the same rules apply with pianos or other musical instruments

What would be the minimum room size to properly generate the lowest notes of an 88 key piano?

Or am I just over thinking this?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm assuming by the phrase "properly generate... notes" you mean in order for the tone to be acceptable on a subjective basis?

I'll confess to having no idea re: a specific answer to the question, but I would venture an opinion that the length of the string will have a whole lot more impact than the size of the room.

So, a concert grand squeezed into a tiny room is still going to have infinitely better tone and resonance than a spinet in a very large room.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
S
OP Offline
S
The length of the string is not the same as the wavelength it generates
Low bass notes can have wave lengths of 30 to 40 feet
This would be in the 30 hz range
What is the lowest note a piano can generate in hz?
Anyone know?

S
OP Offline
S
Why am I getting so lazy in my old age?
I looked it up myself.
Lowest freq. of 27.5 hz has a wavelength of 41 ft.
I would assume then if you are in a room that does not have at least a diagonal of that dimension you will not hear the root sound of 27.5, only the harmonics.

Did I do this right?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Your math is correct but in reality it's not that bad or you wouldn't hear the low notes in my room at all - and they are clear. Hopefully this will help:

Piano Room Size

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Your math is correct but in reality it's not that bad or you wouldn't hear the low notes in my room at all - and they are clear. Hopefully this will help:

Piano Room Size

Interesting article, thanks, Andy!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Check the piano forum section--discussions like this roll through there periodically, as well as people seeking help for quieting their piano rooms or adjusting things for the best sound.

Learner
B
B
Thanks for the link to the article.

Oh wow - I never knew... I never considered a grand or a tall upright for me, because I didn't have the place for it. It never occured to me that the accustics might suck, even if I had enough space because of room size. shocked

Luckily, the piano seller gave us excellent advice and he did inquire about the room size. When he recently visited us to tune the piano, he was more than impressed with the accustics the piano delivers where it stands. But if I had bought one at one of the other shops we tried earlier...

Currently working on: Venetian Gondola song by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
S
OP Offline
S
I read the article carefully and I think the author is trying to say the same thing I did.
He indicates that the lowest notes may need an open door to develop
There is a difference between the bass "feel" which is more of a sound pressure level of the total sound including harmonics and the actual lowest frequency generated.
It was an informative link. Thanks for the insight.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
That Piano Buyer article is exactly the kind of dumbing down of acoustics that make people know enough to be dangerous; I say dangerous because they start to make decisions based on specious information.

I'm going to channel Gnuboi here. We're not building recording studios and even if we were we don't have the luxury of moving walls so all the minutiae about golden ratios is just a bunch of chitter chatter taking up space between the ads.

I'm going to confine myself to dispelling the most egregious of audio myths presented here. "Bass waves need room to develop"

Pure Poppycock. Take about 30 seconds, all of you and consider this: If bass frequencies need x amount of FEET to develop, why can we hear bass frequencies in headphones?

No, really think about it. Are the laws of physics different in headphones than in free air? Do you ears or brains change because you put on some ear-muffs? How about another one? Why can the microphone "hear" the very low frequencies in a bass drum when it's only about 9 inches away? Why can an 8 inch diameter speaker that moves about a half an inch make a bass wave 28 feet long?

It ain't about distance folks, it's about time. How often not how far. If you don't hear bass frequencies in a room, it's because you're in an anti-node (a low pressure area) caused by the comb filtering effect of room modes AND where there's anti-node, there must be a node (high pressure). The frequency must be in the room, it just ain't where your ear is.

Kurt.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
S
OP Offline
S
You raise some very interesting points.
I think the only way to prove that would be with a tone generator that fitered out higher harmonics
But there is also the sound level to consider
Phones can produce low frequencies but only at very low spl
Not sure what the average cutoff frequency is though
Spl is also why you need big speakers for bass to move more air

I want to give a thumbs up that post has made me rethink everything I thought was gospel in sound room layout!

Last edited by Schroeder II; 12/02/12 12:22 AM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission