2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
One of my all time favourite Rachmaninoff pieces

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piece beautifully played.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Wonderful!

Thank you!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
This is why I don't post recordings. wink Very nicely done.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I guess my one comment in this listening is that Rachmaninoff has certainly been ill-served in being evaluated on some of his most popular works -- to name names, the C# Minor Prelude, the G Minor Prelude, and Polichinelle. To me, they represent Rachmaninoff at his worst. It is so nice to hear some of the subtle modulations and complex developmental ideas realized in his "Picture Etudes", which to me is Rachmaninoff at his most secretive, and in his best element. Thanks for sharing this!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
At first, I was going to say, "So, quit playing Beethoven, and keep playing Rachmaninoff." But then, I thought I'd better say, "Hey, debrucey~~How 'bout some Debussy?"

Well???

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't think they represent Rachmaninoff at his worst, but I feel that they are a bit more simplistic than many of his other pieces.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I would say the C# minor is more vulgar and bombastic in an almost Lisztian sort of way. Still a good piece, but clearly the work of a young headstrong composer with more inspiration than experience or technique. The Op. 39 etudes represent him at the height of his refinement and subtlety as a composer.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by debrucey
I would say the C# minor is more vulgar and bombastic in an almost Lisztian sort of way. Still a good piece, but clearly the work of a young headstrong composer with more inspiration than experience or technique. The Op. 39 etudes represent him at the height of his refinement and subtlety as a composer.

I agree - except for the "vulgar" part. grin

Unfortunately the C# minor is in the same company as Fur Elise, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Rondo alla Turca, Clair de Lune, and Moonlight 1st movement in that it is played to death (and usually quite ineptly) by beginning/intermediate students who have no business attempting it at all. And I speak from experience having been one of those students who banged through the piece as a youngster. crazy

Beautiful playing of the Opus 39 No. 8. You're raising the bar for all of us here !!!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I mean vulgar in the best possible sense haha. If by vulgar one means the opposite of subtle and refined I can't think of a better way of describing the C# minor prelude. But that's exactly what I like about it.

I also ineptly banged through the piece as a youngster, as can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlTizQWDR3M (aged 16, now hidden from my channel hehe). I performed it in the same concert as the Etude and the Chopin Ballade this tuesday, but unfortunately I didn't have the chance to record it. It would have been interesting to compare my old and current performance of it.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

Beautiful playing of the Opus 39 No. 8. You're raising the bar for all of us here !!!! thumb

Thank you for saying so. I do hope however that I'm not, as Derelux claims, dissuading other people from posting their performances here.

In the right hands, even the hackneyed C# minor prelude can sound sensational:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuMVBLEWJU

Not Rachmaninov's greatest work, but IMO far from a weak work as some have suggested.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'm definitely not suggesting it's weak.

I'm definitely not suggesting it's weak.
I was thinking of another poster's comment earlier in the thread.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ah I see. Well, I still think it's far from his strongest.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Thank you for saying so. I do hope however that I'm not, as Derelux claims, dissuading other people from posting their performances here.

Well, yes, maybe you are. I guess - for me - the reality is that I'd rather listen to and admire your performances than read critiques of mine! smile

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Shame, I'd like to hear yours.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Very good - thanks for uploading it.

It's a Rach favorite of mine, too, but I have to say that I've always been a bit mystified about the musical intent of the staccato sections.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Well, yes, maybe you are. I guess - for me - the reality is that I'd rather listen to and admire your performances than read critiques of mine! smile

Regards,
Bruce,

I think that this is the first time (or perhaps one of the VERY few) that I disagree with you completely!

First of all, I should say that it's your performance and eventually there isn't a "right" or "wrong" thing to do! You are free to do whatever you please and nobody should complain!

That said, I'd like to ask you why. I see what you mean and what you wrote, but that's hardly enough in my own mind. Perhaps I'm in a different position than you, but it remains that if one was to compare to what others do, nobody would ever post really (since there are thousands (millions?) of amazing recordings found on the Internet. I mean now it's Debrucey, but if it wasn't for him, it would be someone else, reaching up to Martha.

We can't have that now, can we? Pianoworld is a very civil place (with the rare exceptions), and moreover people know each other quite well somehow. You have a teacher, as far as I know, and you place your trust in him and what he does and shows you. You perform for him. (her?). So why not here?

Anyhow, this is something that while aimed at Bruce applies to lots of other people I think. and it's NOT personal at all. As I said in the beginning it's understandable and makes sense and it's within his rights. But I do think there's room for some discussion here.

Debrucey, Sorry for derailing your thread a little bit.

I think that you performance is stellar (and so is the recording, btw. I'm glad that you have access to such wonderful recording facility (and envious as well).

While listening (and typing this) I feel that you have great control over what you do. When watching I feel that you're not moving according to the music (but that's just me and what I'm used in doing and watching).

To others that know this work a little better: Do you feel that some extra rubato and ritenuti would be appropriate? Just wondering here.

Nothing can take from the fact that this is a great recording and a great performance!

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
There are certainly a few written in ralls and accels I could make more of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission