2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1992497 11/29/12 05:53 PM
O
oivavoi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hi,
I realize there has been another thread going on about the N1 recently, but hope it's ok that I start another (and related) one here.

The thing is: I'm certain that I want a yamaha avantgrand. But I can't decide whether I should buy a NU1, a N1 or a N2.

My "digital piano story" started this spring, when I had to sell my acoustic, as it just made too much noise in my apartment building. I figured I needed a DP in order to use headphones (with the possibility of playing around with electronic music as an extra bonus). I ended up buying a Casio Celviano AP620. My reasoning was that since DPs still can't compete with acoustics, I could just as well buy one of the comparably cheaper models. But... frankly, it just didn't do it for me - the decay time of the built in samples was horrible, and I just couldn't get any pleasure out of interacting with the instrument. So I sold it after some weeks, at a loss.

So. I realized I had to move up some levels and save up the money to buy an avantgrand. I had tried out the N1 in a shop, and completely adored it. But I was now in the upper limits of what I could possibly justify to myself spending on a dp. However, as the months have gone by I have grown used to the thought of spending a load of bucks on an avantgrand... considering that music and playing is the most important thing to me in life after my family/friends and my job (which has nothing to do with music), and that I'm likely to have this instrument for a long time. But I can't decide on how much I should spend, and which model to go for.

Anyways: I would love to hear the opinion of people who have tried two or more of these intstruments. Pros, cons, is it worth paying the extra bucks for the higher end model(s)? (that obviously dependes on one's financial situation, but still)

My initial gut reaction, after playing all three:
NU1: A really sweet and nice and great instrument. Well-rounded, balanced, great upright action, I like the size. However, I realize that I miss the grand action on the N1 and N2. And the sample sound is a bit bright.

N1: Also a great instrument, of course. I like the more mellow sound, compared the NU1. And also prefer the grand action. However, a bit bulky. And the sound generated by the speakers can be a bit "plasticky" at times, even more so than the NU1.

N2: A fantastic fantastic fantastic instrument, that I think I could literally play for hours, just improvising and playing and having fun. Less bulk than the N1, even better keytops, better speakers, etc etc. Total infatuation.

Or, to put in a list with pros and cons:
NU1:
Pros: Price (compared to N1 and N2), size (compared to N1), general "well-roundedness" (vague, but yap).
Cons: No grand action, brighter sound

N1:
Pros: Price (compared to N2), grand action (compared to NU1), sample sound (compared to NU1)
Cons: Price (compared to NU1), size/bulk, action/keytops (compared to N2), speaker sound (compared to both N2 and NU1)

N2:
Pros: Best action, better speakers/sound, size/bulk (compared to N1), interaction with instrument, general awesomeness
Cons: Price! (nothing else)

I would really like to hear the opinion of others who have played these instruments... do you think it's worth the leap up from NU1 to N1 and/or from N1 to N2? Why yes, why not?

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, considering what you get with the N1, which is almost everything I have in my N3, the N1 makes perfect sense and it's considerably less expensive.

A loud piano is an issue for you so I might assume you will do a fair amount of practicing with headphones. In that case, the N1 is just about the same piano as the N3 ... and the N3 costs twice (or more) as much.

This is a no brainer. You just have to decide for yourself what you want, the NU1 or the N1. If you have a cat, the N2 would be ruled out unless your cat is declawed. smile

I only bought the N3 since it was introduced first and it was time for me to trade in my GranTouch.

(Where is that regular forum member who says that pianos are not loud? ... and yet another thread on loud pianos.)

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
B
I haven't tried any, but I don't think that the bulk/weight/size matters because all 3 of them are quite heavy - it's not like you can carry them around.

Then the N1 vs N2 (vs N3) has been debated before and the consensus is that N1 has the best value out of the 3. You pay A LOT more only for better speakers and the vibrating keys, yet it will still not be an acoustic piano. *that said, if you have the $, then go ahead and purchase the finest

So it really boils down to NU1 vs N1, I think. If we eliminate the bulk and the N2 out of the equation, then you have question "Is the price difference between N1 and NU1 worth the better action, better samples but worse sound system?" If you already "realize that I miss the grand action on the N1", I think yes.

Good luck with your decision!

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It seems to me that between the N1 and NU1 you already have a preference for the N1. So what's holding you back? If it's a budget question then the N2 and 3 are self-excluded. If not it's between the N1, 2 and 3.

I have played mainly the N1 and NU1 and preferred the NU1 tone (Bright? - are you kidding smile ) and also its lighter key action (I'm a forever beginner). The N1 is just plain ugly too IMHO if that matters to you.

I also played either the N2 or N3, the one with TRS keyboard vibration, and found it to be totally fake. Maybe it's adjustable? But I would not make a decision based on that feature as a consideration.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/29/12 06:49 PM.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I tried all three last weekend as well as the Kawai CA93. I found the Avant Grands were better mainly because the feel of the action was that more real. I don't see how a simulated action will would beat the real thing.

The N1 was about $2000 (CAD) more than the NU1 and I think it was even a bigger jump ~ $3000 between the N1 and N2. For me the grand touch of the N1 easily beats that of the NU1. The difference between the N1 and N2 was not so great. I didn't really think much about the vibrating keys and it was hard to tell the speaker difference with the store being busy. I will have to try the N2 again. It was tucked into a corner so I couldn't actually sit at it properly and give it a good go.

I think the N1 is probably the best buy for your money. But if you can afford it and are infatuated why not go for it? Its likely a purchase with which you spend many hours with.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yamaha was smart, they introduced the N1 last. I like the looks of my N3 and like all the stuff I can place on it (just like any other small baby grand); had the N1 been introduced first, I would have bought two N1s.

I'm curious what the next line of hybrid pianos from Yamaha will look like ... and offer.

O
oivavoi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys, great replies! Really appreciate the advise. Yap, I certainly agree that the N1 is much better value for money than the N2 and the N3 (it really doesn't make sense to almost double the price for what you get extra at the N2). And I guess there's no doubt the NU1 is really the best buy of them all, in terms of what you get for your buck. Just have to figure out how much the little extra is worth for me.

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
If you have a cat, the N2 would be ruled out unless your cat is declawed. smile

Man... you might have saved me a ruined big investment. That didn't occur to me at all. I have two cats. And they love destroying my furniture. So that's scratchable material up there...? And scratching will destroy some of the functioning...? If so, the N2 is actually out of the picture.

[edit]
I was thinking of the top and the open lid as the area that could be scratched at first when I read your comment. But of course, the speaker close to the floor will be very prone to scratching, I realize that now. Hm. Stupid cats wink

Last edited by oivavoi; 11/29/12 08:39 PM.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Is there not some kind of spray product that can be used to prevent cats scratching furniture?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by oivavoi
I ended up buying a Casio Celviano AP620. My reasoning was that since DPs still can't compete with acoustics, I could just as well buy one of the comparably cheaper models. But... frankly, it just didn't do it for me - the decay time of the built in samples was horrible, and I just couldn't get any pleasure out of interacting with the instrument. So I sold it after some weeks, at a loss.

@oivavoi,

Don't feel too bad for having to sell your Casio AP-620, as I am also in agreement about the extremely short decay of the samples which are not sufficient.

As there are many other choices to consider... smile

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Is there not some kind of spray product that can be used to prevent cats scratching furniture?

James
x

Yeah, but it's really hard to spray a cat because they are so fast...

Online Content
Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of spraying the furniture.

Oh wait...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

James
x

I find a canvas bag, a couple of bricks and a river are the perfect solution to the problem of destructive cats. But then I'm not really a cat person, I have a dog. I never did understand the attraction of sharing your living space with a litter tray (and most people put that in the kitchen!) - it almost defines the word disgusting. And for those cat fanatics that have cats trained to "go" outside, thanks very much. It basically means they are sh*tting in my garden, not yours. Bloody things.

Anyway, to the OP the cat issue is a shame because I think your heart was set on the N2 (over many years of ownership the additional expense is irrelevant in my view). I think the N2 has far and away a better sound system than the other two, the TRS (vibrating keys) is adjustable (three levels plus off) and the key surface is superior and the N2 is better looking than the others (the only downside being that you really need the lid up, which looks a bit daft). But if the moggies will rag the speaker covering then it's out of the running I guess?

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Steve

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EssBrace

James
x

I find a canvas bag, a couple of bricks and a river are the perfect solution to the problem of destructive cats. But then I'm not really a cat person, I have a dog. I never did understand the attraction of sharing your living space with a litter tray (and most people put that in the kitchen!) - it almost defines the word disgusting. And for those cat fanatics that have cats trained to "go" outside, thanks very much. It basically means they are sh*tting in my garden, not yours. Bloody things.

Haha, I think we'd get along very well, Steve

ando #1992660 11/30/12 02:53 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by EssBrace

James
x

Haha, I think we'd get along very well, Steve

Extra note:

I am currently in the process of eliminating all of the pesky little rodents (i.e., mice) that appear to running around in my place, as they won't be sharing any more "space" with me!

They **** on everything, and, carry disease.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

James
x

There is. Instead of repelling the cats, the scent makes them feel as if where you sprayed is from them. I learned that lesson after our sofas were destroyed by our lovely cat.

Rope works quite well. Requires only one application. smile

O
oivavoi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hey, what's up with the cat haters in this forum! wink
(but I also love dogs even more, to be honest, but can't find the time to have one with my current schedule... The cats keep each other company though, so having two cats is actually not that much of a hassle at all, except for the occasional scratching of furniture and the extra cleaning that is required of course)

Yes, there are sprays, Kawai James. However, my experiences are mixed. I bought one spray two years ago that worked like a dream, my cats never went near where I sprayed. I bought a new one now to spray on a new carpet, and it doesn't seem to work at all. So maybe some work better than others. If I find one that works really well I might still buy the N2.

(@Essbrace: Yes, I think my heart was set on the N2. But it's going to take a huge toll on my financial situation... and there's the whole cat situation, which I didn't even think about prior to this thread)

Last edited by oivavoi; 11/30/12 08:57 AM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think you can easily come up with a DIY solution using netting around the sides. The kitty couldn't sit on the top while it's up, the music stand covers a good portion. That leaves a small portion that netting could easily work.

I agree this needs to be done. My departed kitty would surely try his best to annoy me while I played but remember it's 1/2 their's anyway.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
36251 #1992752 11/30/12 10:53 AM
O
oivavoi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by 36251
I think you can easily come up with a DIY solution using netting around the sides. The kitty couldn't sit on the top while it's up, the music stand covers a good portion. That leaves a small portion that netting could easily work.

I agree this needs to be done. My departed kitty would surely try his best to annoy me while I played but remember it's 1/2 their's anyway.

Hm, interesting proposal. I guess that could work. But you don't think the netting would interfere with the sound?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by oivavoi

Hm, interesting proposal. I guess that could work. But you don't think the netting would interfere with the sound?

It wouldn't compromise the sound, but it wouldn't look good. There is a more obvious and easy solution . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission