2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi,

I have been posting on here for about year and this week I had an ephinany, lol. Some background: I decided a in August 2011 to start learning to play piano so I grabbed my kid's method book and started on page 1 and went from there on my own. I completed up to ABRSM Grade 2 this way with some help from this board. With some skill under my belt I enrolled for community college private lessons this fall. It started okay using the Alfred Adult All-in-one book which is not really my thing as I want to play standard classically trained rep with some Christmas carols thrown in. I made it almost through the Alfred book and scales, just plunking along.

Last lesson we selected my pieces for my final exam jury. One piece, Waltz by Kablesky, we worked on intensely yesterday. Wow. I had played the sheet music and listended to the CD recording, but didn't really hear it until yesterday. The teacher explained so many things that the sheet music doesn't tell: have the right hand lead with the left quietly following infinitesimally behind and you put a slight emphasis on the second beats in the phrase as you ascend in volume. The dynamic markings don't give you that level of detail - that comes from study of the period and genre of the peice. Who knew? I think those without a teacher would have missed a lot of these subtlies. Well, at least I would have been content with following the written dynamics and hitting the right notes.
Needless to say, I will be working with a teacher for as long as I can afford it smile Looking forward to my jury next week!
BTW - now that the teacher has a good grasp on my ability, we will be ditching the Alfred and moving onto rep in the next semester - yeah!

Adult Beginner starting August 2011.
Self taught 1 year, College 1 year, private lessons currently
Completed: Snell Rep Series Preparatory, 1, 2, 3, Alfred AIO Book 1.
Working on: Snell Rep Series 4: Clementi Sonatina Op. 36. No. 2

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Is that the Kabalevsky Op 36 n 13 Waltz ? If so, I know exactly what you're talking about! smile

What an exciting moment, for sure.
I'm having similar moments of "oh joy!" with my new teacher and I'm so glad I decided to continue having lessons.

I bet you see tremendous improvement over the next few months! Do let us know how things come along!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Nancy, thank you for you very helpful post, and best wishes for your piano journey.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission