2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
Wish to learn more music theory? Well then wait no longer!

I thought I'd share a few wonderful (and all completely free) resources for beginner-through-late-intermediate music/jazz theory of which I've benefited from greatly since beginning my journey, hoping that some of you might be able to, too! I feel that despite the large quantity of information on the internet, you rarely find a sufficiently thorough source of quality information on a topic in a concise format, hence this thread. I'll try and organize this post in descending order from Beginner down to more Advanced.

These first lessons are various youtube videos of which I've come across (many thanks to users here!) which I'll list in the linear order of importance, as, with theory, each topic builds to some extent off of the former:

1. Learning to Read Music

Tip: Until you know all the notes in and around the staves by heart, use surrounding notes as a helpful reference. A commonly used reference note (aside from the notes that clefs are built around) is [b]c.
Tip: In time, you will come to be able to easily identify notes within the staff from common use, but because ledger line notes outside of the staff are less commonly used, its easiest to use surrounding ledger line notes with which you are familiar for assistance. The first ledger line below the treble staff is c. Two lines above is also c. This tip also applies to the bass clef, but reversed.
Tip: While typically the only clefs used by pianists are the treble and bass, know that their exist other clefs, as well (ex. soprano, tenor, c, etc.).

2. Music Theory Basics

Tip: When dealing with notes, or keys, inside of the key signature, or scale, they are called diatonic.
Tip: When dealing with notes, or keys, outside of the key signature, or scale, they are called chromatic. See chromatic scale.

3. Key Signatures and The Circle of Fifths

Tip: For quickly identifying a piece's major key key signature with sharps, take the right-most sharp in the key signature, and go up a half-step. That note is the major key key signature of the piece.
Tip: For quickly identifying a piece's major key key signature with flats, locate the second-to-the-right flat in the key signature, and the note that that lays on corresponds to the major key key signature of the piece.
Tip: For quickly identifying a piece's minor key key signature, use the above methods to identify the major key key signature, and from there, simply take that particular key and move it three half steps to the left to find the minor key key signature (or relative minor key).

4. Chord Theory

If you (as a true theory "beginner") work through these topics from start to finish and grasp a decent hold on them, you'll have learned far more than I after several months of a Basic Musicianship class on the subject in college. Though often difficult, this is a topic I really enjoy studying as it actually equates to better playing in countless ways - hopefully this helps you to enjoy and push further with studying, yourself.

This thread idea started from searching the internet earlier this week for help in deciphering/playing from a fakebook; in the process, I came across this invaluable - and again, free! - website which delves into the more advanced music/jazz theory (with tips on improvisation to boot!):

5. Website mentioned ^

(and in case you were curious, the final set of lessons were the best free lessons I could find on [b]working out of a fakebook).

I by no means consider this at all a complete list (heck, I've still a lot to learn, myself) - if you find a free resource which explains a topic in a more easily comprehensible way for beginners, please let me know and I'll make some edits. Also, if I left some crucial relevant topics (or even just good tips!) out, please let me know and I'll make additions. As far as technical and vocabulary lessons go, I won't be addressing them on this thread (though a great, free, online music dictionary I reference often is Virginia Tech's Online Music Dictionary

Lastly, if you have any questions on the above topics, feel free to ask here and I would be happy to help the best I (in addition to several other wonderful members often perusing the forums, of course) can.

I didn't agree with him on [most] topics (or at least his method of approaching contributing to them), but his convictions towards establishing a strong personal work ethic are something I can agree with and therefore, I dedicate this thread to stores (whether he's really not here any longer - not that I think he spent a myriad of time on the ABF - or whatever).

last edit: clarity on "beadgcf" - Key Signatures and The Circle of Fifths. Thanks jotur

Last edited by Bobpickle; 08/25/12 01:52 AM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Great idea, Bobpickle, I'll check out some of those myself.

But do Birds really Eat Alleys? laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
smile thanks, I tried to adjust it

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh, I hope you didn't think I was being critical! I just thought Birds Eating Alleys was funny - I knew what you meant. I use the "BEAD-gcf" myself, so that's a good addition.

But I was laughing at the thought of, you know, birds eating alleys laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
hah, no, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping I'll get more and more so that I can steadily improve upon this foundation

There seem to be so many beginning and very curious players that pop up here and there on these forums, so hopefully this will help to satiate some players curiosity - and push it further!

Last edited by Bobpickle; 08/25/12 04:39 AM.
M
M
Justt thought I would say thank you for this thread.

As a bigginer i have found some of the information on here very useful. Even the bits I already knew were interestng to read again as sometimes things from a different perspective can help to clear things up. Exactly what happened here for me.

Thank you. Please keep adding any more great resources you find and i'll send any i find your way too.

Ferry & Foster upright

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
C
C
Thanks! Looks terrific! I'll have a closer look when I get home from work

The phrase I have used for the circle of fifths/fourths is

Father Charlie goes down and ends battle
and
Battle ends and down goes Charlies' father

Last edited by Troubledclef; 10/21/12 08:26 AM.
B

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MonkeyMark
Justt thought I would say thank you for this thread.

As a bigginer i have found some of the information on here very useful. Even the bits I already knew were interestng to read again as sometimes things from a different perspective can help to clear things up. Exactly what happened here for me.

Thank you. Please keep adding any more great resources you find and i'll send any i find your way too.

Glad to hear the info. was helpful. I think it helped me in pretty much the same way, solidifying and often more clearly articulating what I sort of already knew.

Originally Posted by Troubledclef
The phrase I have used for the circle of fifths/fourths is

Father Charlie goes down and ends battle
and
Battle ends and down goes Charlies' father

Nice! I liked those too.

Last edited by Bobpickle; 10/22/12 12:29 AM.
B

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
As my original post is too old to edit, I'll continue adding sources I deem relevant in new posts, starting with what I feel to be a monumental one.

The single best overall source of free (and comprehensive) music theory I was introduced to recently is
http://music-theory.ascensionsounds.com/

To show the incredible breadth of information it offers, I'll simply list and link some page headings, but I highly recommend that if there's but one resource you bookmark in your browser regarding music theory, this be it.

To give you an idea of the extensiveness with which topics are discussed, there are almost 35 (and counting) mere links (several pages within each) on the topic of Harmony.

B

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
bump: Somehow, I hadn't come across this resource until yesterday thanks to MaryBee in the AOTW thread.

www.musictheory.net has lessons covering almost the entire first of four semesters of college music theory - and it explains everything quite well

Last edited by Bobpickle; 11/10/12 03:58 AM.
M
M
Hi I have a question about a piece im learning at the moment in the Trinity Guildhall Grade 2 book (First piece).

There are 2 sets of mordents written into the music which refer to a series of notes at the bottom of the page. But when the mordent comes up am I supposed to substitute the note for the mordent (in this case the note is an F# and the mordent begins with a G) or do I play the note followed by the mordent sequence?

Also, the first mordent is marked (1) and the second is marked (2) but none of the others after this have marks so do I just play these all using the (2) set of notes?

And finally, when the same mordent is present on a different note do I just play the rythym of the mordent starting on that note or am I supposed to replace that note with the notes in the mordent?

E.G on a C there is a mordent for C, D, C so when the mordent appears on a B should i play B, C, B or just use C, D, C again?

I hope that makes sense.

B

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mobius1988
Hi I have a question about a piece im learning at the moment in the Trinity Guildhall Grade 2 book (First piece).

There are 2 sets of mordents written into the music which refer to a series of notes at the bottom of the page. But when the mordent comes up am I supposed to substitute the note for the mordent (in this case the note is an F# and the mordent begins with a G) or do I play the note followed by the mordent sequence?

Also, the first mordent is marked (1) and the second is marked (2) but none of the others after this have marks so do I just play these all using the (2) set of notes?

And finally, when the same mordent is present on a different note do I just play the rythym of the mordent starting on that note or am I supposed to replace that note with the notes in the mordent?

E.G on a C there is a mordent for C, D, C so when the mordent appears on a B should i play B, C, B or just use C, D, C again?

I hope that makes sense.

It didn't make a ton of sense to be honest, haha, but I'll answer what I'm able to. First, mordents don't affect "a series of notes," but just one note as an ornament (only notes with the mordent symbol above them will be affected). As far as rhythm goes, the rhythm of any piece or any notes will be the same overall with or without ornaments - that is to say if certain notes are to be played ornamented, their specific lengths of time that they're played for goes unaffected (whether or not the note has a mordent ornament above it, for example).

See this page: Wikipedia Ornaments

I suspect this is the piece, in question, you're working on if you care to watch this performance for a visual answer (always search for video examples of your pieces on youtube/google if you have performance or interpretation questions and have yet to ask a teacher)

[video:youtube]7qIr48v1XVw[/video]

M
M
Hi,

Sorry for the lack of coherence in my explanation. Yes that is the piece I was referring to and I understand about the rythym not changing etc but thanks for pointing that out.

So the first mordent is over an F# and the written notes are G,F#,G,F# which he plays INSTEAD OF the F#. So is it that you are supposed to replace the note itself with whatever is written in the mordent not that you are supposed to play the note followed by the mordent?

For all the other mordents the notes are written as C, D, C but when the mordent is above a Bb he will play Bb, C, Bb, when it is above an F# at the end he plays F#, G, F# etc whereas my teacher thought I might need to use C,D,C where the Bb is and the first mordent G,F#,G,F# for the final one. This is why I am confused.

That probably didnt make any more sense than my first post sorry!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Mobius1988, I am surprised that your teacher did not have a definitive answer for you.

It sounds like the first "mordent," where G F# G F# is to be played instead of F#, is really a trill. In Baroque practice, a trill begins on the beat and on the note above the written note.

The other mordents you describe are upper mordents, where instead of the note as written, you play the written pitch quickly, the pitch (in key) above quickly, and then the written pitch as long as it takes to fill out the written length of the note. So if an upper mordent is written above C, you play C D C; if it's written above Bb, you play Bb C Bb. (Assuming for example that you are in the key of F.)

Does that help? Can you post a picture of the score?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm starting (just) on Cooke's "Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios" and I'm lost right out of the gate on Lesson I (page 5).

He starts with the scale of C major followed immediately by C minor, which I understand to be the same key signature as Eb, i.e. flatted B, E, and A. However, he has only the E and the A flatted in the scale, not the B.

Looking ahead, apparently this is the "harmonic minor", but he just introduces these without much explanation of why there are different types/forms. Any info on the purpose of these -- i.e. in which musical circumstances would one expect to see normal vs. harmonic vs. melodic?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks, Bob.

scales, blues, jazz, improv even at its lowest levels leaves mean quicky in the dark. I will try to digest the information and post a question when I reach that point of darkness.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
aTallGuyNH,

Be careful with assumptions like "C minor" is in the key signature of "Eb". That is NOT correct. You don't know that. That's why sometimes context is important, particularly with minor chords. Only the Dominant chord and half diminished chord are certain to belong one major scale.

C minor could be in Eb, Bb, or Ab. To prove my point, you will notice that C-Eb-G-Bb exists in all those scales.

Minor chords can exist as the ii, iii, vi degree of the scale. What we call "relative minor of the major" is the vi of the scale which is what your example of Cm in Eb is.

Harmonic minor and melodic minor scales stand by themselves. They are not tied to the major scale. Thus they have their own modes. You will encounter them in lots of music.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
aTallGuyNH,

Be careful with assumptions like "C minor" is in the key signature of "Eb". That is NOT correct. You don't know that. That's why sometimes context is important, particularly with minor chords. Only the Dominant chord and half diminished chord are certain to belong one major scale.

Jazzwee, he's talking about the C minor scale, not chord. smile I had that book 4 years ago. It is very old fashioned. I wouldn't follow the instructions on physical playing. I came close to hurting myself because it uses only the fingers and asks for rather extreme things with the thumb.

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I'm starting (just) on Cooke's "Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios" and I'm lost right out of the gate on Lesson I (page 5).

He starts with the scale of C major followed immediately by C minor, which I understand to be the same key signature as Eb, i.e. flatted B, E, and A. However, he has only the E and the A flatted in the scale, not the B.

Looking ahead, apparently this is the "harmonic minor", but he just introduces these without much explanation of why there are different types/forms. Any info on the purpose of these -- i.e. in which musical circumstances would one expect to see normal vs. harmonic vs. melodic?

You need a larger context, and Jazzwee is also right that there is a lot more to scales.

Cooke is going along a particular angle. Start with major keys: you have one for each number of flats and sharps up to seven of them. C major (no sharps or flats), G major (1 sharp), D major 2 sharps) etc., then F major (1 flat), Bb major (2 flats) etc. You'll find this listed in lots of places. The "circle of fifths" diagrams give you an overview as well.

He is looking at the scale that starts on the first note of each major key, which is our "major scale". So in the key of C major, our major scale goes from C to C. In D major our scale goes from D to D etc.

When you go to the minor key you can also use the key signature and simply start on the 6th note. So in C minor you have the key signature of Eb major (3 flats) and you go from C to C (C is the 6th note of Eb major) and you will get a particular kind of minor scale called the "natural minor". This gives you:
C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

When you have harmony with music, often you want to have a V or V7 chord, and if you used those notes you would get G Bb D F which is a Gm7 rather than G7. It does not give a strong movement. So, going from this "natural minor" they will say "raise the 7th note". In a key signature scenario, you would see a natural sign beside the B to make it Bnat.
C D Eb F G Ab B(nat) C

This is called the "harmonic minor" scale. If you play it, it sounds very angular and "Middle Eastern" because from Ab to B is 3 half steps.

So then they say, raise the 6th note too.
C D Eb F G A(nat) B(nat) C

This is called the "melodic minor" scale, and the old fashioned way of teaching it is that ascending you go this way, and descending you play a natural minor scale.
==========================
That is one way of teaching it and a lot of us going through the RCM or similar programs still learn to play the scales that way.

Once you take harmony theory you learn that notes or raised or lowered according to what is needed in harmony, and when you start examining actual pieces you'll see that composers do all kinds of things. I was taught later to look at minor scales differently. The first 5 notes are stable: C D Eb F G... and the next two notes no. 6 & 7 fluctuate according to need.

This is just the beginning.
==========================
- There are modal scales, used especially in jazz. Going along the system I described, you'd think of the notes going from 2 to 2. So in a key signature of C major: D,E,F,G,A,B,C,D and this is "Dorian". That's not such a practical way of looking at it though. Then there are also pentatonic, blues, and other scales. The octatonic is constructed in such a way that all chords are diminished, while the whole tone gives you chords that are augmented regardless of where you start.

What is somewhat useful in Cooke is his grouping of scales according to black key patterns.

He teaches a playing where you swing your thumb under and aim for great flexibility. Everything is in the hand alone without consideration of the arms and whole body. It's a path to injury, especially if you are self-learning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission