2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I personally wouldn't charge for student recitals held in my studio but the chair issue is interesting. I began collecting folding chairs from Costco, until I had enough to seat all my students. Consider getting a dozen now, having students sit on the floor or pillows, and adding another dozen chairs in the spring. BTW, I notice you have quite a few Costco warehouses nearby.

You can also tell parents that you need additional chairs and ask if they could bring a couple extra folding chairs. I did that a couple of years ago, when I had a Christmas recital for students in a family home. One parent had 24 chairs and brought them all.

Piano Teacher
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I personally wouldn't charge for student recitals held in my studio but the chair issue is interesting. I began collecting folding chairs from Costco, until I had enough to seat all my students. Consider getting a dozen now, having students sit on the floor or pillows, and adding another dozen chairs in the spring. BTW, I notice you have quite a few Costco warehouses nearby.

You can also tell parents that you need additional chairs and ask if they could bring a couple extra folding chairs. I did that a couple of years ago, when I had a Christmas recital for students in a family home. One parent had 24 chairs and brought them all.

Great ideas, guys! Although I think Walmart has the cheapest chairs at $8 a piece.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Just an update: My husband found some chairs on craigslist - the guy was a storage facility owner who had evicted someone who rented party supplies, and lo-and-behold, he had 40 folding chairs, a dolly, and white chair covers! I got the whole thing for $200!

I did ask parents to bring folding chairs if they have them, but I'd rather have too much seating than not enough. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Just an update: My husband found some chairs on craigslist - the guy was a storage facility owner who had evicted someone who rented party supplies, and lo-and-behold, he had 40 folding chairs, a dolly, and white chair covers! I got the whole thing for $200!

I did ask parents to bring folding chairs if they have them, but I'd rather have too much seating than not enough. wink

That's great! Congratulations!

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Bravo to M's husband, no longer an unsung hero!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
M is a singer; my guess is that she has sung him before this.

Learner
M
M
Originally Posted by malkin
M is a singer; my guess is that she has sung him before this.

LOL! Hubby is a great guy and makes himself useful on several occasions. :P

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I see there's not been any discussion lately on this topic, but I'm posting anyway in case the subject is still alive. After 6 years of not charging a fee, I've decided to ask for $10 from each family to help compensate me for all the extra work and time. It may also encourage parents to take recital more seriously. I have recitals every spring and fall, with just over 25 students on each program (morning and afternoon) which takes an hour each. I'm seriously considering holding three separate performances next time, since siblings get restless around the 40 minute mark. I don't charge a registration fee, although that seems like a good way to handle this as well. Thanks to everyone for their great ideas on a tough topic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission