2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Which one would you choose if they are at the same price (upper 40K)? The Schimmel was 6 years old and is in excellent condition. I love them both and can't choose.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Welcome to the Piano World Forum!
Although I have a bias for Shigeru Kawai pianos, I would say that the Schimmel is the longer of the two pianos and would probably have a fuller and richer bass.
It is not possible to give a definitive answer on this one as we can only speculate about a used Schimmel and even the new Shigeru Kawai SK2. Pianos vary so much. Ultimately, it must be the decision of you, the purchaser, to choose which of the two you like better.
If you love them both, ask for some input from piano playing friends and do some background research on both Shigeru Kawai and Schimmel.

All the best!

Robert.

Z
Z
It doesn't take anywhere near upper 40 k for a new sk2. You can get sk5 or maybe sk6 for that.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by zwang82
It doesn't take anywhere near upper 40 k for a new sk2. You can get sk5 or maybe sk6 for that.

Certainly not where I live...

Z
Z
Oh I assumed it was in the US

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by zwang82
Oh I assumed it was in the US

Oh yes, it probably is in the US. I just meant that I could only dream of such prices in Australia. I really can't believe an SK5 or SK6 could go for $40k. That seems way too cheap in any country.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by minty_mommy
Which one would you choose if they are at the same price (upper 40K)? The Schimmel was 6 years old and is in excellent condition. I love them both and can't choose.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

All things being equal, this isn't even a question... the Schimmel K213 is by far a superior instrument. This being a NWS edition makes it even more aesthetically pleasing than the Kawai.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
NWS hands down. It's not even close. I would jump at that.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks everyone for your thought thus far.
I haven't given much thought about the price yet. I wanted to make up my mind about which piano to get before I started the negotiation. It looks like the NWS wins hands down. And yes, this is the price quotes I got from the dealer (same dealer) in the U.S. To tell you the truth, it was a bit of a turn off when they gave me the price quote for the SK-2.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Another vote for the NWS.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
I haven't given much thought about the price yet. I wanted to make up my mind about which piano to get before I started the negotiation. It looks like the NWS wins hands down. And yes, this is the price quotes I got from the dealer (same dealer) in the U.S. To tell you the truth, it was a bit of a turn off when they gave me the price quote for the SK-2.

And I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near the high $40s for the NWS.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Online Content
Ask the dealer why he thinks you should pay full SMP for any piano. Barring some special circumstances that price seems outrageous based on Fine's SMP.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Another vote for the 213.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
X
X
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Another vote for the 213.

+1

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
+1

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

[[Linked Image]] Schimmel

[__] Shigeru

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
A
I played both Schimmels and Shigerus (along with many other high end grands). It's such a subjective thing, but I kept coming back to the Shigeru. I ended up with an SK6 and have been VERY happy with it.

Shigeru Kawai SK6 (as of 10/22/12!!)
Ivers and Pond upright
MTNA, CAPMT
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Minty-mom,

It's seems reasonable to think that a decent quality 7'00 piano should be more satisfying than a 5'11"; but actually there are certain factors to put in for consideration.

Shigeru Kawai has developed a very sophisticated piano action which is significantly better than several high-end pianos in the market. Better in regard to performance but also in terms of consistency and stability over the years.

Another clear difference between a Schimmel and a Shigeru, is that Schimmel pianos have a tonal quality that in my opinion is very linear. In other words the tone tends to have the same color across the dynamic range.

Shigeru pianos would not have as much color as a Schimmel when playing "pp or p" the tone will gradually gain color as you work across the dynamic range of the piano. Depending in what kind of music you play and your abilities, one type of tonal quality will work better than the other for you.

Shigeru Kawai offers an in-home service by one of the Japanese MPA. This is of great value for most piano buyers as pianos can sound different from one place to another; but also pianos require a settling period. By having the MPA work on the piano it does truly complete the initial settling process of the instrument.

As a representative of the brand my enthusiasm maybe on the high side; however the response in the market has been very positive and we have seen many skilled potential buyers selected Shigeru Kawai over pianos previously considered superior such as Steinway or Bosendorfer.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 11/30/12 04:05 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kurtmen

It's seems reasonable to think that a decent quality 7'00 piano should be more satisfying than a 5'11"....

"Decent quality"? Come, now. That's a bit disingenuous.

Shigeru Kawai has developed a very sophisticated piano action which is significantly better than several high-end pianos in the market.

Kawai is rightly proud of its pioneering of alternative materials. Better? Not necessarily. It all comes down to how it's been set up and regulated. Is one action inherently better than another? No. You can take a Dongbei instrument and make it perform like a Ferrari just as you can take any high end piano and make it perform like a Geo Metro. FWIW, the last two Shigeru grands I played were disappointing in the action dept.

Another clear difference between a Schimmel and a Shigeru, is that Schimmel pianos have a tonal quality that in my opinion is very linear. In other words the tone tends to have the same color across the dynamic range.

What does this even mean? I've never had any problem getting the desired tone out of a properly voiced and regulated piano, regardless of manufacture.

Shigeru Kawai offers an in-home service by one of the Japanese MPA. This is of great value for most piano buyers as pianos can sound different from one place to another; but also pianos require a settling period. By having the MPA work on the piano it does truly complete the initial settling process of the instrument.

This is something that is factored into the cost of the piano, so it's not like the buyer is getting this service for free. While I'm sure the MPAs are highly skilled, there are a lot of great techs already over here. Imagine how many hours of tweaking one could buy with what it costs to fly an MPA here from Japan!

Now, before I get called a hater by the Shigeru aficionados... there are plenty of S. Kawais that I really liked.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Now, before I get called a hater by the Shigeru aficionados... there are plenty of S. Kawais that I really liked

No at all. You made some interesting points.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission