2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light
This was so enjoyable! Loved the video and the thought that obviously went into this production. Your piano playing, as usual, is flawless.

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See
You and your Roland were made for each other. I’m a Roland guy also but mine doesn’t play fast notes as well as yours (I’m sure it’s the piano). Seriously, love the recording and your way cool improvisation. You are among the ABF Jazz Elite.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day
As with all of your postings, I am always deeply impressed with your skills when I hear you play piano – everything you play is professional quality. I really like the change is tempo and mood between the two pieces.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations
I enjoy reading your posts on a wide variety of topics here on Piano
World – you are obviously very serious about becoming the best pianist you can be. I’m not really a fan of classical music but I can appreciate the time and effort you have put into your music that resulted in such a fine performance. Very competently played.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box
I enjoyed watching the video that accompanied your submission – particularly the music boxes. You have a very light touch and play with great expression. Well done.

23. SandTiger - Shimmer
An interesting piece with an appropriate title. I admire your ability to compose after such a short time at the keyboard.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
windywindy, in Minuet BWV Anh 115, what sound to you like upper mordents are trills done with crap trill technique. I'm not sure why they sound like upper mordents: I'm certainly trying to start them on the note above, and on the beat. But I don't have very much control over their evenness, so I can understand that they may not leave the proper impression of a trill.

Richard, what you say about years of experience and the way classical pianists develop is interesting to me My hope is that more years of experience will improve my playing; my despair is that without a teacher this may not be possible.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
15 (Was)TrueBeginner Sandy
A nice moody composition. I really like the ebb and flow of this piece. It's a bit dark but not especially stormy.

16 BenPiano Poem, Z. Fibich
Nice job, Ben. This is an enjoyable listen.

17 Monica K. Opening, Philip Glass
While I am not a fan of Glass, I do hear the windchime like quality you mention. I guess yours are the right hands after all. This sounds exceptionally difficult with all those tricky 3 on 2 rhythms. I wouldn't want to try this one myself.

18 cgyan / Iain Morning Light, John Schmidt
Iain, you did a wonderful job with this beautiful piece. I really enjoyed your recording. It sounds very professional. Tremendous job!

19 Jazztpt(Russ) You See
Another impressive performance, and what a composition this is, Russ. Inspiring to listen to. I am in awe. Truly.

20 Inlanding - Glen Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day
I like your Angel Eyes improv, but it left me wanting more. The second piece is aptly named. It really does sound like a beautiful sunrise. I definitely enjoyed listening.

21 Andy Platt Gavotte and Variations, Jean-Philippe Rameau
This is beautiful, Andy. You play it with feeling and you bring out the various voices in the variations tremendously well.

22 CASINITALY (Cheryl) Romanza and The Little Music Box, Daniel Steibelt, Samuel Maypakar
Cheryl, these are both nice. I enjoyed the first piece tremendously. The second is not my cup of tea, but it does sound like a little music box.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 11/17/12 10:17 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The talent in the adult 'beginer' group is getting insane!

Congratulations to everyone who submitted a performance as it is getting harder and harder just to keep up with the talent here.

Randomoniously in order:

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover Carlos, this was an exquisite piece performed,...well, exquisitely. Very enjoyable to listen to and your playing was once again top notch. Bravo Super-Carlos!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand This is one of my all time favorite pieces. Your performance may inspire me to re-learn this piece once again. Very nicely played.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) Bach and bathtime! What's not to love in a fun household like that? Pretty impressive invention playing as well.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun This was great to listen too and watch Peyton. Your intensity is unmatched. The anticipation and buildup was perfect for the 2:46 mark change in melody which gave me a chill. I play piano for the thrill. The thrill of the chill! That's what it is all about.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Very nicely played Wouter. It is obvious that you are trying your best at...everything. Noticeable attention to detail I'd say. Very nice to listen to.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78 This was a lovely piece in a hauntingly beautiful way. Your playing was equally as nice.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 Okay now I'm relaxed. My shoes are off and I'm just sittin' back listeneing to Mel. Nicely played.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) Too technical for me but I can certainly hear the quality and accuracy in your performance. Well done Jeff.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge As expected, another relaxing and dreamy performance. I could listen to this all night. Thanks for this Ed.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 Well there is good, and then there is ridiculously good. Your performance was obviously the latter. Very impressive and inspirational.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover You idiot. I can't believe you screwed up the gain level even when you knew about it beforehand. Schmuck!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor This was very enjoyable and relaxing Jake. Thanks for performing and exposing me to this piece.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena This sounded very nice Walt and I couldn't help but notice how accurate your timing was. Well done.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter I liked the energy you put into this performance as well as the frequent tempo changes throughout the piece. Nicely played.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy This piece had some sad and dramatic elements to it for sure. I was impressed with all the dramatic melody changes you put in. Very enjoyable to listen to.

16. BenPiano - Poem Your playing is getting very good Ben. Piano sounds nice too. I enjoyed it.

17. Monica K. - Opening This sounded great Monica. Your acoustics are much better than my set up. I always love hearing the resonance of the mighty Masons and this was a beautiful piece to hear it on. A pleasure as always.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light As one of my favorite ABF performers, you have set a very high bar for yourself. I'm a big fan due to the extra amount of emotion you seem to put into every performance. This was no exception.

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See Russ, this was just nuts good! I agree with you on the Roland too. What an incredible digital piano.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day Swingingly delicious intro Glen. You had some incredibly beautiful original melodies right at the transition point that I loved. Well done.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover What a great skill to be learning as you improvise on this theme. Your addition blended so seamlessly with the original. Very nice to listen to.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand This doesn't sound like someone playing with only 5-months experience. You were certainly dedicated to this piece, to put in the amount of time it must have taken to learn it. Especially nice on the dynamics. I enjoyed listening.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) Sounds great! Nice ornaments, and I like your ending. I'm glad to hear that you too have found Bach to be both challenging and fun!

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun Oh wow. This was worth waiting for! But I don't know if that was a sunrise or a supernova. smile I love the sounds you get from your piano. There are a couple of different moods that this piece takes you through, but the over-arching feeling conveyed through your playing is one of great energy. Love it!

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses This so lovely, I had to listen to it twice. For some reason its simple beauty almost brought tears to my eyes. I like your use of pauses and dynamics, and I think your tempo choice is perfect for this performance. Thank you for bringing Couperin to the recital. I'm off now to look up the sheet music for this...

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to all who make these recitals happen. Half my repertoire comes from what I've played here. The inspiration has been welcome.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Ah, a little chanteuse - nice addition to the recital.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress A fun start. You'll love hearing this in a couple of years and noting your progress.

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne Beautifully played. I'm so sorry for your piano, and, I'd guess, most of your other stuff, too. Hope you can put some things back together.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around Nice to hear an upbeat piece with a driving rhythm. It sounds fun to play.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon a Star Just terrific. Your stylings are pro and I love your repertoire.

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer and The Wild Horseman I loved them! I didn't realize I'd recognize them - must hav played them in the long ago and far away. They sound like a challenge when you've not been able to play much, but you did a great job.

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets Two of my favorites. Nice pacing, and I like the liveliness.

So I'm off to try to get something ready for the next recital. CinnamonBear, from the Pianists Corner, sent me a stack of sheet music. GI Jive looks like a winner. . .

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jazzwee
Starr Keys your voice is so wonderful. Please keep doing recitals accompanying yourself singing. It's just so entertaining and enjoyable! Great work.

Coming from a pro of your rank, this is “wonderful” to hear. Thank you for all your encouragement. I don’t plan on stopping any time soon unless a bunch of people I respect ask me to, since I am finding singing helps a lot with playing by ear; I hear more/better embellishments because I feel it more when I sing. Also, not having to play the melody helps me concentrate more on harmony and rhythm. It’s working out pretty much the way I’d hoped, except that it’s turned out to be more work than less since I’m not a natural at it by any stretch of the imagination. 
Originally Posted by zrt90
There is a clear maturity in your fingers and a clearer direction in your choice of material. Those who are taking a classical route are struggling to match the sonority and confidence of those taking a more modern direction where the fingers are free of the more rigorous discipline of classical piano but getting to where you are now, whatever path you've chosen, has taken a resolve that will most likely see you continuing on to the next level.

I would be unable to guess your experience from the quality of your performances but I am sure I would have guessed longer in each case. It took me longer to get where you are now.

I was delighted to find myself in the group you’ve placed me in (not so sure they will be, though-lol). I can’t argue with you about the maturity in the fingers and resolve of everyone else in the group . As regards the relationship between quality and experience, I have also felt the same way about several of the people in this group. In my own case, I know the “resolve” part is true, but everything else came as a surprise and delight to hear it applied to me. Thank you. I too found all your group comments most interesting to read.

Originally Posted by Greener
Best Piano Arrangement with vocals:

it's a tie:
43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me
49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star

Very touching and compassionate performances. Good stuff, Bill and Starr Keys.

Since I’ve made no bones about my admiration for BillM’s arranging and vocals, you couldn’t have paid me a better compliment, although again I think most others might find your comparing my ability with his stretching it. But, thank you for the flattering comparison.

Originally Posted by CasinItaly
43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Oh, I remember this one. Your background info prompted me to look at the video – the paintings were really lovely ! (I was confused about the carrots though….?) Great job – I’m so impressed by people who can sing and play at the same time. I’ve yet to be able to do it. I wish your sister all the best – she’s certainly been having difficulties!

While I sang and played this all the way through while making the piano recording you heard, my voice and energy was so weak from a cold (I managed to sing the first verse okay, but the increased tempo of the second part required more energy and focus than I could muster and maintain the accompaniment tempo while singing well)so I used the internal digital recording and sang over it again while I recorded with my Zoom--I resung to the entire accompaniment I taped with the internal recorder, that is, not just the part I didn't like.

Thank you for the compliment on my sister’s paintings. She’s only been painting for about as long as I’ve been playing (less than four years), and needs as much encouragement as I do--and I also appreciate your compliment on my work. I think we are both channeling my father who was not only an excellent by-ear musician but a good artist…”the carrots??” – ah, I guess you need more inside info. Both my sister’s husband and boyfriend built garden structures for her, her husband for a magnificent flower garden and her boyfriend for a vegetable garden (both seen in the video). I was thinking of Voltaire and Candide --when fortune robs him of everything once beautiful in life, he says it’s important to just keep tending to our gardens. Also, I think my sister’s an excellent photographer and I didn’t get time to show many of her photographs, and here was an excuse to show one.

Originally Posted by windywindy
Thanks for sharing this and for singing, and nice job on the arrangement.

Thanks for not telling me not to sing! I appreciate the positive feedback on the arrangement. I worked hard on it to get the quality I wanted to do the paintings the justice I felt they deserved.

Ah, a little chanteuse - nice addition to the recital

Thank for the kind words, Cathy.

I am facing another deadline less than a month from now for another (live) recital while nursing a cold, so intrigued by the example of zrt90, I’m going to try my hand at making group comments. If my categories overlap a bit by the time I’m through, please forgive me. Here is the first category:

Popular or New Age from the Sheet:
29 Allard
32 Texas Dennis
37 Trapper John
45 Jotur/Cathy Turner
47 Windy-windy

If I could do it as well as you guys, I might play more from the sheet, instead of fashioning arrangements that I could play more easily. You all made even some less than inspired sheet music sound exciting. Allard, you inspired me to pull out my David Lanz collection and look for the piece you played. Windy-windy you made me wonder why I never appreciated that song so much when I heard it played on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Trapper John, you did a fine job with capturing nostalgia of that World War II classic without making it saccharine and sentimental. As for you, Texas Dennis and Cathy, you are on level of accomplishment with interpreting a score with rhythm, dynamics, and tone that I can only aspire to. Now that’s what I call “maturity in the fingers.”

Last edited by Starr Keys; 11/18/12 08:50 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby - Really nice, Ken - very enjoyable to listen to!

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) Clearly, learning piano with a teacher is the way to go. I mangled this one on my own - I really enjoyed your performance of this!

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls - A nice piece - I can hear how you got into this one. Well done!

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3 - I'm in the process of learning one of Mendelssohn's songs without words. At the intro, I heard a lot of similarity! Of course it differed throughout, and I appreciate how you distinctly brought out the melody!

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision I'm familiar with the tune, and I loved your version!

33. Serge88 - My Way - Nice work doing this your way! smile

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 "Recording method: Red Dot Forever" Haha, this caught my attention! smile (recording really is HARD!) Personally, I think you've conquered the beginning stages of red dot syndrome with this piece and graduated to the next level of red dot recording!

Recording isn't easy, but that red dot is so much smaller than the confidence you clearly put on display during this performance - well done!

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral - Nice work with this at 7 months!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1

Ahhhh...nice! DeBussy. I love his work and dare not attempt them myself. You, however, have done nice work on this piece. smile Your patience and perserverence have paid dividends.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover

Ahhh...only Mr. S-H can pull off making a old Metallica classic sound, well, "classical". I've liked Metallica since high school, and listen to them to this day whilst running. I may have to add your cover to my running mix tape. smile Great cover!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor

I love this one from Chopin. You play it very well!

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena

The genius of Joplin! Even "simpler" arrangements of his compositions sound great. This particular one still captured the unique 3/4 syncopated rhythm that makes this (master)piece so great. And you nicely captured the melancholy tone that Joplin intended. BRAVO!!

14. ladypayne - Early Winter

Nice work ladypayne!! This piece does sound winter-esque. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
J
J
Wow thanks for all the comments guys!

Originally Posted by jazzwee
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
Fabulous job for 5 months! You are doing really well. You are playing evenly with really good tone and balance. I would say you're doing amazing work and welcome to a first recital. What an opener!

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
02 jaredm2012 Jared Miller To Zanarkand, Nobuo Uematsu
Nice job, Jared. Are you sure it's only 5 months? Your expressiveness is that of a veteran player. Amazing.

Originally Posted by bessel
Wow, this is stunning for 5 months of piano! Tell me you've played organ or harpsichord for years, please!

Originally Posted by BillM
I had to go back and check to make sure I had read your write-up correctly – Playing only 5 months?? Wow! You are very talented. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Originally Posted by MaryBee
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand This doesn't sound like someone playing with only 5-months experience. You were certainly dedicated to this piece, to put in the amount of time it must have taken to learn it. Especially nice on the dynamics. I enjoyed listening.

Wow, thanks so much!

Marybee, I certainly did put a lot of time in this summer, sometimes painstakingly slow, but it was totally worth it!

Though I've only played piano seriously for five months (started in June), I've been around music for a long time and play/ed some other instruments (saxophone, French horn, drums, and some keyboard percussion in high school). I've also written some music, so thankfully I had a really solid base to start learning piano. I also had a cheap keyboard as a kid that I played around with a lot, but never really seriously (lots of fun though!)

Originally Posted by Allard
Nice work! You play it much better than I did at five months. As you say, some mistakes in the second half, but nothing really bad. Piano collections next?

Thanks! I hope I can do the PC version soon, but those arpeggios will have to wait a little while =)

Originally Posted by Sam S
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Welcome to the ABF Recital. It's great when someone is inspired by a piece of music to take up the piano - excellent job.

Originally Posted by BenPiano
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand - Very well done! As a 3+ year ABF participant, I feel like an old guy around here. I would offer a bit of sage advice, but you've already proved it - if one really loves a piece, it can be learned and played amazingly without regard to experience on piano!

Thanks! This piece is one of my all-time favorites, and it was such a blessing to have the time to learn it properly this summer. It is one of those pieces I just always go back to and play to remember why I wanted to play piano in the first place!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Jared, Welcome to the recitals! When I listen to music like this I think I should start investigating video games! Your rendition of this music is lovely –well done!

Originally Posted by CebuKid
Nice work Jared. This piece reminds me of a green meadow. Video game pieces like this one are hidden gems, and it’s good to see you stepping outside the realm of Alfred books.

Originally Posted by Amaruk
Oh well, now I understand why all are so impressed with this recital… Amazing Jared. Your performance is very calming. I am not a big gamer but my kids are so I teach our oldest son piano songs from Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter already. Video games seem to be a great channel for piano music these days!!

Video game music is great! I grew up loving it, I think it was honestly what really got me into music to begin with. I have several video game pieces I want to tackle, but some will have to wait a bit longer yet. But there are certainly some real gems out there! Thanks so much for the positive comments =)

This piece is sort of my "goal" piece, it is so beautiful!: Eternity - FFX2 Piano Collections

Originally Posted by windywindy
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Very nice first full piece. The broken chords are very clean for five months playing. If you like Final Fanatasy, also try the prelude from II/VII. I wonder if you tried direct recording.

Thanks! I love Final Fantasy, I have a few other pieces I've learned from the series (much shorter though). When I recorded this I didn't have the proper equipment to record directly, but now I do. I tried to re-record it real quick before the recital closed, but I just couldn't get a good take and I had a monster week of class this past week.

Originally Posted by jotur
2. jaredm2012 - To Zanarkind This was great! You played it well.

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand This is one of my all time favorite pieces. Your performance may inspire me to re-learn this piece once again. Very nicely played.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! I'd love to hear you play it! It is such a great piece, never gets old to me.

Thanks everyone for the great comments, I am super stoked you enjoyed the piece and I look forward to submitting more in future recitals! I'm so glad the work I've put in practicing is coming out in the performance.

Also, everyone did a fantastic job with the recital, I was able to listen to it at work and it was amazing! I hope to find the time to sit down and comment on each piece, but top to bottom it was great and a joy to listen to.

Last edited by jaredm2012; 11/18/12 04:49 AM.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
I was delighted to find myself in the group you’ve placed me in...I know the “resolve” part is true, but everything else came as a surprise and delight to hear it applied to me.

Ask anyone starting to sing and play at the same time how hard it is and they'll let you know how easy wind players have it - they have a cast iron excuse not to even try. What you're achieving is no small matter.

You posted a recording of something in a piano bar, maybe a St. Patrick's thing or st. Valentine's thing, I can't remember. Listen again to the runs in Broken Hearted Me around 1:05 or the section beginning at 1:50, just as isolated examples. There's an undeniable level of confidence, experience and hard work there.

You're making clear progress, Starr Keys, and you have reached a level where you can no longer be considered a beginner. Go back and compare some of your earlier recordings with this latest recital piece and then re-read my comments.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai
What a pretty melody. I am impressed that you were able to put this together by ear. Nice arrangement.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby
I have come to expect professional sounding recordings and commercial grade performances from you. This piece really delivered. I’m not always a fan of virtual accompaniments but you kept it in the background and let your (awesome) piano skills shine through. Love the tempo and mood swings. Nice ending.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise)
This is one of the few classical pieces that I recognize. I love the way you took your time with this and let the beauty of the music speak for itself. You do a wonderful job with the phrasing and dynamics. This is as good a job as I’ve heard on this classic piece – many play it but few as well as you.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Even yet more Random Reviews:

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World

Copper - simple and delightful - and at a leisurely pace that I wish I had the patience for...

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band

Cathy - jaunty and upbeat and foot-tapping good - you perhaps shouldn't play music like this in a "home" - the geezers are going to get excited, try to move too quickly and hurt themselves laugh

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around

windywindy - good, lively performance of this warm-hearted and very familiar theme from the old MTM show...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
...while I was working on my old pickup truck with his boombox blaring away with heavy metal screechings including those of Metallica - after a short while I had to throw all three of them out (nephew, boombox & Metallica)

Kept the truck, I see thumb

Cathy

You bet - it reminds me too much of me - rusty, dilapidated, no power anything and running on only 4 of 8 cylinders smile

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls
I can see why you chose this piece for the recital. A lovely, haunting melody which is enhanced by your fine performance. Only a year?? Wow!

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk
Sounds like the crowd really enjoyed this rollicking tune as did I. Your band is extremely tight. Loved it – thought the piano player was great.

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3
This is a beautiful piece of music and you play it very well.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision
What a touching performance. I love hearing well played instrumental renditions of sacred music and this one is done to perfection. Nice. You are making some excellent recordings lately.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Richard, what you say about years of experience and the way classical pianists develop is interesting to me My hope is that more years of experience will improve my playing; my despair is that without a teacher this may not be possible.

A teacher is certainly a source of accelerated progress on a technical level but that doesn't mean progress won't be made without one (especially after you've already had experience with one).

You have to do more for yourself at the piano and you have to do more away from the piano in organising a path for yourself and getting the background knowledge for an appropriate level of material. You need to choose pieces that will help you advance without breaking your spirit or stretching your technique beyond musical achievement. But you also need breadth of material. Four or five pieces at grade 5 do not a grade 5 pianist make.

Some of the advantages of a teacher include listening with an objective ear at the progress over a period and knowledge of techniques for overcoming technical problems. Both recording (and dating of the recordings) and keeping a journal will assist you in the former. Hard earned experience from trying many different solutions will help in the latter.

If we take something simple like scales and consider the importance of them to technique, what's their main purpose? Sure, they teach an elementary understanding of the need for correct fingering and yes, they're a good test for velocity but their main purpose is to develop an evenness of touch and tone.

If we can control our fingers well enough to play evenly from PP to FF and maintain a legato touch, or a non-legato, or fairy-like finger staccato or demonic arm staccato then we'll have no trouble with our pieces that have accented notes and varying dynamics to hide the flaws.

What's the best way of playing scales to hear the smoothness and evenness of our fingers, fast or slow? Just playing them and getting the notes right or listening carefully? Give them a lightness and delicacy when preparing to play Mendelssohn or Mozart and more weight and tone when preparing to play Beethoven or Brahms.

With a few minutes intelligent reasoning away from the piano you can cross off your list one requirement for needing a teacher in order to make progress.

Richard
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to everyone who has posted comments on my recital peice, I'll come back to them later, but first some feedback from me.

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover I was captivated by this right from the first note and the wonderful sound of your piano. Amazing that this was written in 1500 it sounds so fresh and modern. You have done a superb job extending the piece, it flows beautifully - no need to warn us about anything :-).

I noticed elsewhere that you have played other instruments, that helps but this is still fantastic playing after just 5 months. I look forward to hearing some more in the future.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
Ah , zoned out the kids in the background, not something I need to do anymore :-). I can't do anything like this so I am full of admiration of your playing,it was great to watch your fingers. Very well done.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun Certainly no problem listening to the full piece which I have done 4 times now. I was absolutely taken by this piece and your playing. The subtle changes to the feel,from the calm beginning we are seemlessly into sheets of gorgeous sound and then back again to the gentle flow to end as you began with single notes. As I posted on YouTube,
this is how I wish I could play and write. Wonderful.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
What a lovely melody , you obviously have an affinity with "early" music, very nicely done.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
Beautifully controlled playing as usual and a very interesting video to go with it.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
A wonderful find and beautifully played, very soothing indeed.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
Even and confident playing, very good indeed.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
A very fine arrangement, although it's a bit different, your
introduction reminded me of Bix Beiderbecke's In a Mist, those impressionistic sounds, excellent.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Fantastic to be able to play this piece , its just lovely music and you play it with a lovely light touch , beautiful.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover I think I might have said this before but you have fantastic ears , you should market that "noodle method". I don't know the song but this is a fine arrangement and fine playing, loved the downward gliss, goal achieved I would say.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
Very expressive version and remarkable playing after only 10 months.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena
Very nice to have some jopling in the recital, well done.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter
Fun combination of feels and tempo changes.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy
The recording quality and the song evoke a far away almost nostaligic feeling, maybe not what you intended but it does fit the title and the circumstances of the time of the recording, very well done.

16. BenPiano - Poem
Nice little piece very well played and with your trademark perfect fingering.

17. Monica K. - Opening
This sounds imensly tricky to me , mesmerizing indeed.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light
Beautifully played and produced , sounds like a professional
production.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New DaySwinging sounds from the Glen Inlanding trio and it does swing along nicely , followed by some nice calming solo piano. Glad you are finally getting back to playing Glen.

Jazztpt

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
01 CarlosCC

This is very cleverly done, Carlos. The return to the original melody, and your own development of it, is really a nice touch. It is a relaxing and pleasing listen. Very nicely done and presented.

02 jaredm2012 Jared Miller

I had to do a double take on this one. This is very nicely presented, Jared and is really a terrific and clean sound. I really like the changes in this. This is far beyond what I would be expecting to hear from someone at 5 months experience. This is really great, good for you.

04 Peyton

This is a very complex and interesting composition, Peyton. Clearly, a tremendous amount of work has gone into this, and it has paid off. What a lovely resolve at 2:46, 5:18 and 7:28 and followed by pickups at 3:00 and 5:32 is very cool. Very well done.

05 wouter79

Agree Wouter, this is a lovely piece. I'm just beginning to understand more about classical formats and really taking a liking to the Rondo format as well. Nicely presented, terrific recording, and great playing.

06 Amaruk

It's always a treat to see your video presentations, Amaruk. They are very cleverly done. Nice touch on this piece. It is a very clean, crisp sound, nice recording and great playing.

07 dannylux / Mel

This is a very pretty piece, Mel. There are some lovely changes in this and your expression comes across very well. A really great presentation, good recording and overall terrific job.

09 Riddler / Ed

Nice playing, Ed. I really like the transitions in this of legato to rhythm and broken chords to stride. Or, at least that is what it sounds like to me. Not sure if arrangement or your own interpretation. But, it is very effective and nicely done.

10 Timmyab

This is really beautiful stuff. As I venture back into classical myself, there is more and more stuff being added to my list. Starting to take a liking now to Debussy. Thanks for this, and really terrific playing.

11 Mr Super-Hunky

This is really a very clever arrangement. I like it a lot. When I saw in the pre-recital discussions that you would be presenting this, I'd never had thought it would turn out like this. It is really a production and very nicely done. Good job.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jazzwee
Very nice progress Cheryl! What I notice here is an increased ability to be more delicate in your playing and given the short time you've been doing this, you're doing an awesome job. Really nice tone and evenness.

Thanks very much Jazzee, that is one of the aspects I was really focusing on in these pieces – being delicate and also relaxed. I’m really touched that you are so attentive to my progress!

Originally Posted by Sinofilia
I also loved Casinitaly's Romanza
Thank you!

Originally Posted by ATallGuyNH
I looked forward to hearing your entry in particular due to our back and forths over the last few days. Very nicely done, they both seemed very "clean". I especially liked how you got "Music Box" to really sound like one!

Thank you! That was a real challenge, but one that delighted me! My new teacher was wonderful in getting me to realize exactly how to change my touch to get the right feel!

Originally Posted by Jotur Cathy
I love your music box And your musicality just keeps getting better - I didn't have that until 30 years after I stopped lessons. Yours is great.

Thank you so much Cathy! I don’t know if it is my musicality that is improving or my coordination smile but I am certainly glad you can hear the improvement!

Originally Posted by Zrtf90
You are beginning to show direction and purpose. You are all approaching a period of accelerated progress and you all seem ready to embrace it.

Thanks Richard – I really enjoyed seeing how you grouped people in your feedback. I think it is really interesting to see how others who stared more or less at the same time have progressed – some are so far ahead of me, I can’t imagine “catching up”! But it isn’t about catching up, I know, it is enjoying the journey. I have been feeling on the edge of a big change for the past couple of months and your words really describe this feeling to a T. Thanks so much for your feedback.

Originally Posted by Allard
The Romanza sounds so familiar... The Little Music Box was cute. It's the same melody as a children's song for Saint Nicholas, here in the Netherlands. An event that is coming up soon.

I am glad you thought Music Box was cute – I thought so too the first time I heard it! However, I had no idea it was a song! Could you send me the word please? As for the Romanza, I think there are a number of pieces with this sort of sound …I’ve come across 3 or 4 of them in one of my books. I quite like this slightly sad sounding music.

Originally Posted by Sam S
I just loved these two pieces! The video was well done too.

Thank you! I had fun with both aspects of the project!

Originally Posted by Ben Piano
You Tube now? - yay! I don't know the Music Box, but I did play Steibelt's piece along the way. I loved both your playing and your graphical representation of this. Well done - on all levels!

Yes, I’m pretty new to the You Tube scene, but having fun with it. Thank you so much for your feedback, I’m glad you enjoyed the “package”!

Originally Posted by Windywindy
Good playing, especially on the music box. Did I hear it being wound?
Yes you did!!! I was hoping someone would notice that ! I had the idea in my mind for days before I did the recording and I couldn’t stop laughing about it. I guess I’m pretty easily amused!

Originally Posted by BillM
I enjoyed watching the video that accompanied your submission – particularly the music boxes. You have a very light touch and play with great expression. Well done.
Thank you Bill, I was working on those aspects and I’m very excited to get such lovely feedback on the achievement!

Originally Posted by TX Dennis
Cheryl, these are both nice. I enjoyed the first piece tremendously. The second is not my cup of tea, but it does sound like a little music box.

I can appreciate that Music Box isn’t everyone’s cup of tea – but at least it was short smile and it sounded right ! Glad the first piece was more to your liking – thanks very much Dennis!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission