2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wound up
I have tried SO many Estonias they are incredibly consistent I would just order one --

I've actually found quite the opposite to be true. Although the nice one(s) I've played were quite nice in many ways.

Shigeru is one of the most consistent pianos out there. They may not all sound the same as each other, but they most definitely all perform at a very high standard.

If I were buying for a recital hall it would be one of my first choices.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LynnieGC
Wow! Thank you all so much!

... The dealer for the xxxx is certainly prepared to provide the most support for us.

Talking of support, I'd ensure that any implied - or verbal - benefits are confirmed in writing. I found at least one sales dealer recently here promised the world (well, almost) to string me along, but when the final quotation arrived, it included less than many other dealers.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's incredible how many pianos are selling these days to customers "sight unseen".

There must be something about some pianos where the question of 'consistency' may in fact not be the main consideration, if at all.

Using a certain tech perhaps and maximizing the acoustics within a given environment most typically "is".

Once this is accomplished, few questions seem to be asked after.

Norbert

W
W
Originally Posted by AJF
Just buy the Estonia They sound prettier to me...

Would YOU buy a piano simply because a stranger on the internet told you to?

Your posts on this thread are less than useful.

The OP should buy the piano THEY love, not the one YOU love.

I Guess you missed the title of the thread....
And after much research Fazioli and Estonia are the 2 I would buy New/or newer sight unseen...

(I DID once buy an Imperial sight unseen (tech checked it out)

Keeping in your spirit -- Not sure whats right for YOU and YOUR taste, But If the orig poster asks to be convinced NOT to buy a shigeru - I give my vote to give the Estonia a serious Look --

I think my observation the MANY newer Estonias I have seen that they were all acceptable to be IS a potentially useful piece of information -- but you can say it is less than useful it's ok!

Last edited by Wound up; 11/26/12 06:42 AM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hi all,

I never played the Shigeru (however I played on some new mid-sized Kawai grand and I was disapoointed, don't remeber the model now), but if you want some top-class piano maybe you should also check these pianos (which I for people in America ale less knownwhat I see in this forum):
- C. Bechstein
- Petrof
- Grotrian-Steinweg
- Bluthner

Unfortunalety, the first two are the same price range as Steinway, but also the same superb quality.
I see that even in pianos popularity is often connected with marketing,
not in quality alwas (for example low popuarity of Bechstein pianos, which are the same amazing as Fazioli or S&S)

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Norbert
It's incredible how many pianos are selling these days to customers "sight unseen".

Norbert

Would you expand on your statement? What types of piano and buyer, what percentage of pianos, etc?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AJF
Just buy the Estonia They sound prettier to me...

Would YOU buy a piano simply because a stranger on the internet told you to?

Your posts on this thread are less than useful.

The OP should buy the piano THEY love, not the one YOU love.

I Guess you missed the title of the thread....
And after much research Fazioli and Estonia are the 2 I would buy New/or newer sight unseen...

(I DID once buy an Imperial sight unseen (tech checked it out)

Keeping in your spirit -- Not sure whats right for YOU and YOUR taste, But If the orig poster asks to be convinced NOT to buy a shigeru - I give my vote to give the Estonia a serious Look --

I think my observation the MANY newer Estonias I have seen that they were all acceptable to be IS a potentially useful piece of information -- but you can say it is less than useful it's ok!

Sorry. I guess I was a little harsh in my delivery. That being said, your posts (as I interpreted them) basically said "i love Estonias! You should just get that piano!"
Have you tried a Shigeru? Many people, myself included, would not choose an Estonia over a Shigeru. Not because Shigerus are better but because they are so different. I DID read the OP. By saying "convince us NOT to buy a Shigeru" they are actually saying 'I really WANT a Shigeru'
The OP did ask if there is anything about these pianos that they need to be warned about. And anyone who knows these pianos knows they are top notch and there is nothing about them that is less than world class. So to chime in on this thread to simply say "you should buy an Estonia!!!" to me seems pointless. It's pretty obvious that the OP wants a Shigeru.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
We went out to obtain three bids on 7' (ish) grand pianos and visited a Steinway dealer, a Yamaha dealer, and a Kawai dealer. We absolutely fell in LOVE with the Shigeru Kawai.

In a case like this, it would only make sense to say "yes"
The OP wouldn't really need to have ask anyone.

In this context, any other brands mentioned in terms of even basic comparison must be at least same size piano.

If comparison is really what this is all about [not sure if it is..] then not just any Estonia but the 7'4 grand 225 must be the one required in the line up.

Only question is if it "is" - "should" or even "could"

There's very few of them in the country to begin with...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 11/27/12 12:45 AM.

W
W
Good Point AJF,

I was salting their doubt for sure__

Yes I have played the Shigeru nice axe!

And Norbert, I thought Sam had one in Atlanta?

After flipping a few pianos the Estonia 225 and Fazioli 183 are the ones I ended up with (I operate a recording studio and have a piano fetish..) Sadly! the 225 is in storage while we remodel -- but I do like it alot__ wish I could upgrade the 6' Fazioli to the 228 then I would be in piano Heaven and financial Hell__

We are lucky in LA to have Pierre's Fine Piano's where you can fall in love with all of these instruments

After flipping a few pianos the Estonia 225 and Fazioli 183 are the ones I ended up with

It's an honor for any piano to be compared to Fazioli.

I also happen to like the Shigery, but for slightly different reasons. All pianos speak with a slightly different voice, all are beautiful within their own right.

Our last customer for a 225 Estonia compared the piano to C.Bechstein and Fazioli, all highly worthy contenders on high end scene.

In the end the 225 won out for its remarkable singing treble and overall balance: next customer could well have preferred one of the others for different reasons.

Individual preference and mutual respect are keywords. It's a level playing field - very interesting to watch on one-by-one basis. Sometimes one piano wins over the other, sometimes it's the other way around. It's the nature of things.

P.S. we just got again a new 225 Estonia for those who are challenged by these type comparisons anywhere here in Western Canada.

Our last 225 grand was chosen by its new owner out of an interesting mix of pianos including Fazioli..

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 11/30/12 12:25 PM.

B
BDB Offline
B
I am willing to compare a Whitney spinet to a Fazioli. (The Fazioli is better. The Whitney can be honored if it wants.) smile

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
And Norbert, I thought Sam had one in Atlanta?
Had is the right word. Ours sold months ago but was only recently delivered when the performance hall finished construction.

More are coming, but if there is not one near the OP, it's irrelevant for their current decision.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
T
T
Originally Posted by LynnieGC

My real question is, is there any reason to NOT purchase the Shigeru? Any warnings you have for us?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Sure! Shigeru's are somewhat rare and as soon as a few of your serious students get their hands on one you will have a hard time keeping it locked up!

Not very helpful I know. But, I sure have a hard time keeping our friend's hands off of ours grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission