2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Hi
I have to replace a broken string on an ancient upright piano. The action appears to be secured in the piano in an unconventional manner. I have searched for screws that could be securing it but with no luck. It looks as though it might slide out, keyboard and all, somehow. Anyone come across this before?

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Photographs would help.

There are uprights that have the action and keyboard slide out together. A clue might be; what does the left pedal do? Does it slide the keyboard sideways or does it push the hammers forward?

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, on a few old pianos, the action is attached to the key frame and the whole unit slides out.

However, there are ways of replacing strings with the action in the piano, with the help an expandable tube (cafe style curtain rod).

JG
R
OP Offline
R
Many thanks for replies. i'm going there on Monday.

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
If it is one where the action and keyboard slide out together, the dampers will remain attached to the plate. You may still need Jurgens' threading device or you can remove the dampers as a separate unit.

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

R
OP Offline
R
Many thanks RXD. It's overdamped so I'm guessing the dampers will slide out with the action. But who knows. I've been tuning since the early 1980's and have only come across one other like this, and the action came out after locating a couple of screws

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Overdamper. That puts a different complexion on the subject. Something common to sliding upright actions is that the dampers do not move while the rest of the action does. Look for how the dampers attach. To the action or to the frame/plate. What nationality is the maker?

The keyboard sliding is still a clue. I seem to remember something like this but it's all so long ago. I am assuming you are already familiar with the usual ways of securing a birdcage action. A partial removal of the damper system might reveal the secret. (it shouldn't be necessary to remove the wires from their lower locators). Look for something under the keybed for another clue.

While it is always easier without the action in the way, It is also possible to thread steel wire behind the action with no extra tools by simply pre-forming the hitch pin bend and cutting the wire too long initially. Fiddly, with overdampers being where they are, but not impossible.

Amanda Reckonwith

R
OP Offline
R
Action impossible to remove. Tried everything. replaced string by removing damper mechanism. Hope never to see such an awful piano ever again! (Although I almost certainly will)

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission