2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I can't show you a picture of the symbol of piece it came from a I lack the computer skills. The piece was a jazz version of White Christmas. The symbol looked liked a quarter of a circle...the part from 12:15 to 12:30. At first I thought it was some misprint on the score but it appeared many times....each time before a tied single note G in the bass.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is it filled (black)? Or not?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Is it filled (black)? Or not?
No, just like a quarter of a circle drawn.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe it is a jazz symbol (I don't play jazz, but jazz has its own symbols, for example if you look at this page and search for "jazz symbols" it shows something that could be what you are looking for).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Can you photograph it with your phone and email it to someone who can put it up here?

It sounds like a "wedge" -- an accent -- but usually these are triangular and not 1/4 of a circle.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Does it have a dot under it? If so it's a fermata.

rada

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by rada
Does it have a dot under it? If so it's a fermata.

rada

No; he said that the curved line occurs at the 3 to 6 position on a clock.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I can't show you a picture of the symbol of piece it came from a I lack the computer skills. The piece was a jazz version of White Christmas. The symbol looked liked a quarter of a circle...the part from 12:15 to 12:30. At first I thought it was some misprint on the score but it appeared many times....each time before a tied single note G in the bass.

I wonder if it is a symbol used in jazz somewhat akin to a "slide" or "schleifer" in Baroque music where two notes of the scale below the note on the score are played, quickly, step-wise on the beat before the principal note. Conventionally, this would be noted as grace notes before the beat, but I'm wondering - pure speculation on my part and if this symbol represents what I'm suggesting - if this gives the performer a choice of how many notes to play rather than being given a specific number as in the grace notes.

It seems to me that what I suggest is something I've heard in jazz/pop piano music, although not having any jazz scores, I've not seen how this might be notated other than as grace notes before the beat.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
If it *always* occurs before the tied G, could it be a glitch in the engraving process that put it there? In other words, a mistake? Where is it, exactly, in relation to the tied notes -- right in front of them, and on the same level?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
If it *always* occurs before the tied G, could it be a glitch in the engraving process that put it there? In other words, a mistake? Where is it, exactly, in relation to the tied notes -- right in front of them, and on the same level?
It's always slightly to the left a slightly below the note head for first of the two tied G's. I'm guessing the arranger used some computer program to print this piece so it may very well be a glitch. The piece sounds perfectly OK to me as is(without assuming this symbol adds anything).

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/22/12 04:34 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD

I wonder if it is a symbol used in jazz somewhat akin to a "slide" or "schleifer" in Baroque music where two notes of the scale below the note on the score are played, quickly, step-wise on the beat before the principal note.
I can't imagine adding any grace notes before the G's would sound good in this instance, but that may just be because I've learned it without adding any extra notes and am used to hearing it that way.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Sounds kind of like a scoop, which you could likely get a good description of on the non-classical forums if you haven't tried already. I've encountered these in Jamey Aebersold jazz instructional texts that aren't instrument-specific (not sure any of his are).

Scoop - (music, often with "up") To begin a vocal note slightly below the target pitch and then to slide up to the target pitch, especially in country music.

of the picture you and bruce described, a Breath Mark also comes to mind, though I can hardly imagine why such a mark would come up in discussion here or be listed on any piano transcriptions (or why you wouldn't say the symbol looked like a comma)

Last edited by Bobpickle; 11/25/12 05:15 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I had initially thought it could be a breath mark too, but then I noticed he said "in the bass" (and breath marks are usually not in the bass). I am pretty sure it is a jazz symbol.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

OP Offline
I emailed the person who arranged this piece after finding out his PW name in another thread where he posted an arrangement of Lo How A Rose E're Blooming. So if he gets back to me we'll all find out if this is a symbol or a typo.

It's not a breath mark which is shaped like a comma and has a different shape then I described in my OP.

[Linked Image]

Is this an example of the symbol? From what I gather - it is a scoop.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by LimeFriday
[Linked Image]

Yes, the version in the piece I mentioned looks like the one next to the E in your score. So what does it mean?

I am no expert by any means - so don't take my word as gospel - but my understanding is that it indicates sliding up to the note. Starting slightly below pitch - and sliding to the note. I've heard it used by acoustic and electric guitars - but I would imagine it's used elsewhere as well.

OP Offline
I am no expert by any means - so don't take my word as gospel - but my understanding is that it indicates sliding up to the note. Starting slightly below pitch - and sliding to the note. I've heard it used by acoustic and electric guitars - but I would imagine it's used elsewhere as well.
The music in question is for solo piano.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
[Linked Image]

Yes, the version in the piece I mentioned looks like the one next to the E in your score. So what does it mean?
Ah... ok then...

This is why none of us could understand what you mean. This is a symbol for winds instruments (mostly, and could also apply to strings as well if need be).

It's the idea of 'gliding into the right note'. If this is a score for keyboards rather than piano, then I'd assume that the composer/editor means using the pitch wheel a little. If this is for piano though, I'd just do a couple of appogiaturas there and get it over with...

Depending on the bend, and the direction of the note, you chose the right appogiaturas... That's all there is to it. But it totally makes sense that noone could understand what you mean. It's very very rarely seen in piano music. If you had gone to the non classical forum, I think you'd have a much better chance of getting a reply sooner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission