2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
This summer I got a chance to study for a week, every day with a piano professor from Japan. Her name is Aki Mitsukami and she did part of her education in Vienna, currently working there.

First of all, what I noticed is that everything was very organized in her mind, more than that of the teachers I've met in my country. She had more practical ideas for fixing problems and despite the language barrier and bad English she was able to help me solve any problem and she was able to explain abstract things to me the way nobody else before her could do.

Second, she did not underestimate me for being a late beginner. She took me on seriously and worked with me seriously.

Right now I am studying piano methodology and I am learning about developing technique, ways to combat technical problems (scales, arpeggios, double notes, chromatic runs, octaves, legato, non legato, phrasing, learning long phrases, pianistic movements, etc), what to do when the student is struggling with particular problems, how to develop all the musical abilities as a whole. And a lot of the "tips and tricks" of the trade that I learned, she was using but in a very unique way making everything understandable.

The result of my week with her was a concert in which I participated and the feedback I got from the people was great! The mayor of the town we were playing in was delighted, he shook my hand and said he liked my music very much. There were two reporters from a major radio station that knew I am a late beginner and they had some great advice for me, they also told me they enjoyed how I was able to play around with the dynamics of the pieces and bring life to them with it. They had constructive criticism on bad points too which was awesome. Several more people commented on the great use of dynamics and they told me my playing was very emotional and that they liked that.

I played in a full concert hall, like never before. Had problems along the way but I was not nervous to the point of losing control and I did the best I could in that particular situation, given the lack of experience on the instrument. This time I did not care how far ahead all the other musicians that played before or after me were. I did not even think about it. All I thought was joy for being able to share my music, regardless of technical level! That's the kind of approach she was able to instill into me in just 7 days of lessons. That's amazing! Not only to be a good teacher but to be able to inspire the student, that's very special.

I want this feeling back! But ever since that concert I haven't been able to replicate it again.

Last edited by Teodor; 11/21/12 04:39 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
interesting experience. It goes to show just how much different and unequivocally better good teachers are from just teachers

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
What a wonderful experience to have had, Teodor! Thanks for describing it in such detail.

Was this part of an organized program or festival? Please tell us more about it.

I hope you will try to stay in touch with this teacher.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
great experiece, thanks for telling about it.

"The creative process is nothing but a series of crises."
(Isaac B. Singer)

[Linked Image]
D
D
Teodor -- I'm interested in what sources you are finding to study piano methodology -- it's something I'm very interested in and the bit of reading I've done has actually resulted in my being able to ask good questions of my current teacher -- who is very good -- and gives her an opportunity to teach me even more.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's brilliant Teodor! She sounds wonderful. You have made some excellent achievements on piano. What grade are you?

Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
That's brilliant Teodor! She sounds wonderful. You have made some excellent achievements on piano. What grade are you?

I don't know I don't have time to sit these exams. I have exams in the conservatory. But I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle of grades, not too advanced yet.

Originally Posted by DinaP
Teodor -- I'm interested in what sources you are finding to study piano methodology -- it's something I'm very interested in and the bit of reading I've done has actually resulted in my being able to ask good questions of my current teacher -- who is very good -- and gives her an opportunity to teach me even more.

I can't help much with that. My textbooks are in Bulgarian. It's a class we take at the conservatory and we study theory for 2 semesters or so and then we are allowed to have practice, we are given a student to work with for a year. I'm just in the theory class yet, I need the highest mark if I will be allowed to officially have a student. So far I'm up to that level but I have 3 more exams left smile

Originally Posted by ClsscLib
What a wonderful experience to have had, Teodor! Thanks for describing it in such detail.

Was this part of an organized program or festival? Please tell us more about it.

I hope you will try to stay in touch with this teacher.

A summer music course.

http://www.rhodopemusic.com/home.htm

I can't recommend it enough. You won't be sorry if you come this summer. You get to study with my professor that is one of the best pianists in the country and this part of Europe. Her teacher lineage goes back to Beethoven. She is energetic and highly motivated and specializes in everything, these days mostly modern music. She is the daughter of a very well known bulgarian composer and is generally awesome. You can of course also select to study with Aki Mitskukami who I talked about in my post. If you decide to come I will help with whatever I can. I know the person that organizes this personally from last year, she is great too.

You get to play two concerts in the course of it all. The fees are not too high and lodging is very cheap (something like 10 euro per night and food is about 7-8 euro per day, that's it.)

Also the music course is in a village in the mountains, a beautiful place... Words can't describe how inspiring it is. If you add me on facebook you can see pictures from this year.

http://www.facebook.com/teodortenchev

Last edited by Teodor; 11/21/12 06:32 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds like you are doing very well indeed Teodor!

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Teodor

A summer music course.

I can't recommend it enough. You won't be sorry if you come this summer. You get to study with my professor that is one of the best pianists in the country and this part of Europe. Her teacher lineage goes back to Beethoven. She is energetic and highly motivated and specializes in everything, these days mostly modern music. She is the daughter of a very well known bulgarian composer and is generally awesome. You can of course also select to study with Aki Mitskukami who I talked about in my post. If you decide to come I will help with whatever I can. I know the person that organizes this personally from last year, she is great too.

You get to play two concerts in the course of it all. The fees are not too high and lodging is very cheap (something like 10 euro per night and food is about 7-8 euro per day, that's it.)

Sounds nice! I have been thinking about going to one of these summer courses one day and this would not be too far away or expensive. How advanced do you think one should be to get full value of the piano teaching?

Last edited by outo; 11/22/12 03:18 AM.
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by DinaP

I do the same. If you want to post or pm me what specific areas of study you're interested in (technique, sight-reading, general piano pedagogy), I could let you know all the texts I've come across along with reviews.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Teodor I have been listening to the music you put on the recital- it is really beautifully played. I love the sound of your piano- what make is it? I am not familiar with the music you played but it is lovely.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/22/12 10:17 AM.
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Teodor I have been listening to the music you put on the recital- it is really beautifully played. I love the sound of your piano- what make is it? I am not familiar with the music you played but it is lovely.

It's an original piece. As for the piano it's a Russian piano, the make is Akord which translates to Chord. I had it tuned recently. The action is terrible but it sounds good.

Originally Posted by outo

A summer music course.

Sounds nice! I have been thinking about going to one of these summer courses one day and this would not be too far away or expensive. How advanced do you think one should be to get full value of the piano teaching?

No specific level is needed. At the time I was playing the first movement of a Haydn Sonata (one of the easier ones), Martinu - Colombine Dances, To Zanarkand, Erik Satie - Gnossiene 2, a heller etude. I actually played To Zanarkand in concert, it's video game music.

All you really need is the ability to listen and learn from the experience. Nothing more.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's an original piece. As for the piano it's a Russian piano, the make is Akord which translates to Chord. I had it tuned recently. The action is terrible but it sounds good.

Very nice composition. Your piano sounds beautiful!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Right now I am studying piano methodology and I am learning about developing technique, ways to combat technical problems (scales, arpeggios, double notes, chromatic runs, octaves, legato, non legato, phrasing, learning long phrases, pianistic movements, etc), what to do when the student is struggling with particular problems, how to develop all the musical abilities as a whole. And a lot of the "tips and tricks" of the trade that I learned, she was using but in a very unique way making everything understandable.

I liked your description of your encounter with this teacher, and congrats on the performance!

The quoted part above stood out to me from your post. As a late beginner, you will bring an interesting perspective to your future students.

Most of your peers, no doubt, overcame a lot of these technical challenges early in life and might not remember actually struggling and overcoming these obstacles.

I think your more recent experiences with these problems will let you offer to your students a more insightful and mature approach to teaching them.

And perhaps your guest teacher was insightful enough to see your unique quality and tailor her approach to you so that in the future you will be able to pass on very unique insights and motivations for your students.

Or not. Maybe it was just one great teacher passing on great advice to another great future teacher! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission