2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
diedel Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha AvantGrand N2 and recently I've encountered a small problem with the keys. When I press a key softly I notice a slight friction with its neighboring key. This happens to me only with certain keys: middle C, practically all G and G sharp keys. It's hard to explain but this keystroke has to be a little from "side". For example with the left hand I press A-flat with the little finger and next with the thumb I press "sideways" middle C. With the rest of the keys no matter the angle at which press, I do not notice any friction.

I have the piano without the key cover from the first day because was broken and I'm waiting to be replaced. I know it may seem a little extreme but I wonder if the fact of being the keyboard during these two months "unprotected" have caused the keyboard friction issue.

Just before to notice this I was playing since some weeks the Etude Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean Etude), maybe this explains why the G and G sharp keys are "broken".

When I bought this piano 2 months ago! one of the things I checked was that issue, as I had a similar problem but more exaggerated with the Clavinova CLP-170.

I talked to my seller and is already aware. The truth is I'm a little disappointed because it is assumed that a N2 AvantGrand and Clavinova is not a cheap piano.

I wonder if any of the owners of an AvantGrand has this same problem.

Sorry by my english.

Regards.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by diedel
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha AvantGrand N2 and recently I've encountered a small problem with the keys. When I press a key softly I notice a slight friction with its neighboring key. This happens to me only with certain keys: middle C, practically all G and G sharp keys. It's hard to explain but this keystroke has to be a little from "side". For example with the left hand I press A-flat with the little finger and next with the thumb I press "sideways" middle C. With the rest of the keys no matter the angle at which press, I do not notice any friction.

I have the piano without the key cover from the first day because was broken and I'm waiting to be replaced. I know it may seem a little extreme but I wonder if the fact of being the keyboard during these two months "unprotected" have caused the keyboard friction issue.

Just before to notice this I was playing since some weeks the Etude Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean Etude), maybe this explains why the G and G sharp keys are "broken".

When I bought this piano 2 months ago! one of the things I checked was that issue, as I had a similar problem but more exaggerated with the Clavinova CLP-170.

I talked to my seller and is already aware. The truth is I'm a little disappointed because it is assumed that a N2 AvantGrand and Clavinova is not a cheap piano.

I wonder if any of the owners of an AvantGrand has this same problem.

Sorry by my english.

Regards.

No, definitely not caused by having it uncovered. Your piano is far to young to be affected that way. It sounds like there is a problem with your key bushings or the pins they move on. It can certainly be corrected. You should contact Yamaha and have it serviced by a qualified person. If your piano is still under warranty, they will fix it for you. Even if it isn't, they might still offer to repair it for you for free because this is not something that should happen on such a young instrument.

I've had a problem like this on my N3 from new, but only on a single key – the A-flat above middle C.

I should have had it fixed under warranty, but it's never bothered me too much as it doesn't seem to affect the mechanical action and most of the time I'm not aware of it. However when playing very soft passages or when the piano's volume is turned down it does create an audible rubbing sound which I must admit is a little distracting.

I bought the instrument over two years ago, but I was given an extended warranty by the dealer. Now that you've reminded me I think I'll give them a call.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission