2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
I have been recommended the casio px3. I am looking for a fully weighted, portable keyboard that I can hook up to other gear, but also have good sound for the stage and the studio.. (wish I could afford the nord electro 3)...

My budget is under a $1,000, is there a reason I shouldn't be getting the px3 or is there another keyboard I should be looking into?

Last edited by gregbank; 11/19/12 10:43 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
do you have any objection to onboard speakers or did you want a specific stage piano only?
Yamaha CP-33, has no speakers, GH action and although it is $999, you could probably depending where you get it (online, perhaps 15%-20% discount)

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
CP33 advantages include a mod wheel (instead of button), second foot controller input, zone volume sliders, and IMO better piano sound (subjective, though). PX3 advantages are much lighter weight (about 24 lbs vs. about 40), many more built in sounds, probably about $200 cheaper, some technical advantages for those who care about that sort of thing (tri-sensor, more polyphony), more sound editing functions. Action is also subjective, but the CP33 is a heavier feeling action, the PX3 has the ivory texture (I don't think the CP33 has that). Both nice pieces, though.

G
OP Offline
G
thanks so much..

I'm not looking for any on board speakers, i just want to be able to plug it in to my amp and play shows but also use it in a studio.. Speakers make it too heavy, I don't need this keyboard for practice..

but Hmm still can't decide between casio px3 and the yamaha cp33

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gregbank
Speakers make it too heavy, I don't need this keyboard for practice..

but Hmm still can't decide between casio px3 and the yamaha cp33

There are plenty of DPs with speakers that are lighter than the speakerless CP33!

But if you want a weighted action with good MIDI controller functions for under a grand, the PX3 and the CP33 are the only games in town, I think. The models with speakers aren't so capable as MIDI controllers.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The PX350 has a nicer key-bed and better sound. I did own a PX3. I could not really recommend it.

M
M
My budget is under a $1,000, is there a reason I shouldn't be getting the px3?

I'll give you three reasons:

Casio PX-350
Yamaha CP33
Yamaha CP50 (used I've seen them in the $1000 range)

Everything is subjective but all of the above have a better piano sound IMO.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The P105 is considered good as well. I have never played it.
I did play the new PX350 and I was actually very impressed by the key-bed, more so than the sound. While the sustain was much improved, the sonic signature from the previous PX's was still present.
The Key-bed is notable to me, how-ever, for it's superior quality.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by emenelton
The PX350 has a nicer key-bed and better sound. I did own a PX3. I could not really recommend it.

The PX350 does have nicer keys and better piano sound than PX3, but PX3 is much stronger for controlling other devices, and also has better (and more editable) sounds, including organ and EPs.

It is understandable that a number of the responses here are based on things that have better piano sounds than the PX3, but based on the OP's original thread at https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ard%20should%20I%20get?.html#Post1988533 you can see that, unlike most posters here, piano sound and feel is not necessarily his over-riding concern.

V
V
A keyboard with built-in speakers feels much better for Piano playing to "ME" (and to many others) due to the vibrations you get in your fingers. This is not so much the case with synth or other keyboard sounds but for Piano, yes, it does feel much better.

I've recently got the PX-350M and it has really good Piano sounds and very nice keybed. It's super lightweight yet quite well-built, has 5-pin DIN MIDI ports, 1/4" Audio IN/OUTs, Hi-res MIDI, and so on. IF your primary purpose is to play Piano sounds, it's worth considering. But, as pointed out by anotherscott, this is not so capable as a MIDI controller.

Hope that helps.

Vikas Sharma
'without music, life would be a mistake' - F Nietzsche
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
To me, if you didn't qualify "have good sound for the stage and the studio.." I wouldn't give it a second thought. I just typically didn't like the way my various Privia's did not cut through the mix real well live. A real studio board either? Anotherscott's recommendation for the SV1 was more in line with your stated goal and your budget.

G
OP Offline
G
wow thanks for all the great help. You guys are awesome...

I am leaning more towards the px350 I just don't know if I like the built in speakers idea... but I could get over it and I understand the whole vibration part... the one thing that does scare me is what your saying emenelton- how privia's aren't the best for stage/studio.. I want something that has good sound for sure, such as piano, electric piano, organ, that I can use in the studio and on stage.

SV1 is a little too out of my range but maybe i should just wait and save up.

So out of the casio px3, casio px350, yamaha cp33 and the yamaha cp50,

I'm guessing the cp50 is my best option? I just found a really cheap one on ebay so I may go with the cp50 because its actually in my price range used.. Is there anything I should know before getting this keyboard? is it easy to use with other gear like the px3?

Last edited by gregbank; 11/21/12 08:42 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I am leaning more towards the px350... the one thing that does scare me is what your saying emenelton- how privia's aren't the best for stage/studio.. I want something that has good sound for sure, such as piano, electric piano, organ

PX350 sounds better than PX3 for piano, I think everyone agrees. Whether it sounds "good enough" is still a matter of opinion. Electric piano and organ are better on the PX3 than they are on the PX350, though.

I like built-in speakers, and I like MIDI control flexibility. Unfortunately, it's hard to find both in the same board.

So out of the casio px3, casio px350, yamaha cp33 and the yamaha cp50,

I'm guessing the cp50 is my best option?
is it easy to use with other gear like the px3?

The CP50 should be the best sounding of the bunch, I'm not familiar with its MIDI controller functionality compared to the CP33 or PX3, but the instrument does have a reputation for being somewhat complicated.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
PX3 might have some professional features as a controller but if you're looking for a nice on board piano sound then look elsewhere.

IMO, the action feels good in store or at home, but when you play out with Casio's, I think they're kind of clumsy.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
G
OP Offline
G
interesting... i have heard that a lot about casios..

and its not that I necessarily need a good piano sound or electric piano sound specifically, I just want an all around good sound for keyboard/piano and other settings... Would the yamaha cp50 have better sound than the others suggested?

Ideally I would like to hook it up to other gear,

anotherscott- do you think the cp50 would be a b***** to hook up to ipad, etc...?

Last edited by gregbank; 11/21/12 11:49 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The CP50 is an all-rounder. The SV1 is a boutique board. The SV1 has a electric piano sound that is considered by some to be the best available, but it's a limited board. If you were looking for a Rhodes or Wurly only that was easy to move around with, the SV1 can't be beat.

The moment your band-mates ask you for a string pad though, your out of luck.
The CP50 from Yamaha has a typical Yamaha sound, which by itself sometimes comes off a little flat and cold, but it should really serve you well. It is a bread and butter solution with proven and useful sounds.

It has a user interface which could be considered horrible by some, but if your a player, dial up your sound, and play. If you are looking for an easy to navigate midi controller to interface with other gear, I'm not sure.

Sometimes it's a good idea to get things for what they can do and not always allow yourself to obsess over accommodating 'variables'. The CP50 is by far in a different class than any of the other solutions you've been considering.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

G
OP Offline
G
thanks so much emenelton, that's some great info...

so its between the cp50 and the sv1 now. My conclusion from all this info is:

CP50= all around, quality keyboard with good sounds and beats to use.

SV1= really good electric piano sound, more EQ and knobs and such.

So out of the two, is there one that is just a better quality sound or play (studio or stage)? What about one that is better for hooking up to other gear? I liked your comparison to the rhodes or wurly, so that made me more towards the sv1.

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS- just trying to make a good choice before I buy!

Last edited by gregbank; 11/21/12 02:02 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
You might want to include Korg KROME to your list. I haven't had a chance to play one yet. The acoustic piano most likely not as good as CP50 cause Korg pianos (IMO) have a "fakeness flaw" to them. Although this would only impact solo playing. In a band, they sound ok. The beauty of this axe and other Korgs are the ability to get to sounds, easily and quickly without having to read the manual because of their touch screen.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
They are not really comparable. The SV1 is extremely limited to a few sounds. If you needed only acoustic and electric pianos in a easy to transport package the SV1 is for you. I won't choose either of them if my priority was a midi controller either but the CP50 apparently has master controller functionality, if you can dig into it and find it.

If you were looking for a pro board because you wanted to be a professional keyboardist that could offer various arrangement elements that are expected today in a pro keyboardist, then there is no comparison either.

If it was me and I had to choose it would be the CP50.

The Korg Krome is probably something you should check out as well. It is around $1,600.00 for 88 notes hammer weighted and $1200.00 for 73 note synth weighted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission