2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Here's some more. Listening to the recital is just so much more fun than working smile

33. Serge88 - My Way I like Sinatra, but I liked your version of this better than his smile Yours was beautiful, and kind of wistful. Very nice.

34. LizAnne - Elegy What a delicate, pretty piece. Yes, the dynamics are coming along, and the softer ending was quite effective. I'm working on forte myself, so I know your journey. Keep at it!

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral Your stately and somber interpretation was just right. Well done.

36. lyricmudra - Consolation Beautiful, and beautifully played.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You Wonderful! You nailed this - wanna come and share a billing with me at one of my senior gigs? They'd love it. Bravo!

38. DadAgain (& DadAgain's Daughter) - Rondo This is terrific! I laughed out loud from the beginning with delight. You guys sure had fun. It sounded like the music for a folkdance I do.

39. Gandalf - Prelude I plan on improving for another 20 years and 66, so go for it. This was very pretty.

40. Sam S - Raindrop Prelude Lovely. You have no problem with forte smile This was very sophisticated playing.

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance Very nice interpretation, very dancey, just right.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World I always look forward to your pieces. This was lovely. You could join John Frank at one of my senior gigs - we'd be a great trio smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
06 Amaruk Summer '78, Yann Tiersen
The piece is new to me. There are some interesting themes. Well played. You keep a good steady rhythm throughout. Nice performance.

07 dannylux / Mel Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1, Viktor Kosenko
An interesting little piece with quite a few fast runs that sound challenging to get right. Well done.

08 Greener / Jeff Green Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936), Bach
Jeff, these are impressive performances. Bach is a challenge, and you are obviously up to that challenge. You take two very beautiful and complex works, and you bring out the full textures in the music. Just wonderful.

09 Riddler / Ed Chelsea Bridge, Billy Strayhorn
Ed, this is beautiful. I have always enjoyed this piece. Your arrangement is textured and lush bringing out the best in Strayhorn's melody and adding your own personal touches. A real treat.

10 timmyab Arabesque no 1, Debussy
Your playing sounds relaxed and fluid as befits the piece. Excellent work on the dynamics, and just an overall polished performance. This piece always puts me in mind of a little stream tumbling gently over rocks in a picturesque setting. Your performance of it put a smile on my face.

11 Mr Super-Hunky Nothing Else Matters James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich
I'm not a Metallica fan and have not heard this before. I like your version a great deal. Very nicely done, Bernie. Your arrangement is melodious and lush. Another tasty musical treat.

12 Jake S Prelude no.4 in E minor, Chopin
Jake, this is a remarkable performance. Particularly so for one who has been playing for only 10 months. Nice dramatic dynamics that bring out the full emotion of this beautiful piece. Well done indeed.

13 Wj3 / Walt Bethena, Scott Joplin
This doesn't sound like it was simplified all that much, Walt. You turned in a nice performance here. Quite an enjoyable listen.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
14 ladypayne Early Winter
Yes, I thought I recognized the beginning of this piece. You have put together an interesting musical journey, ladypayne. Fun piece!

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 11/16/12 10:04 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
17. Monica K. - Opening - Bravo, Monica!

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light Great playing (as usual), and I liked the extra effort you put into your visual effects - great production!

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See - Clearly I see that I have no jazz experience to offer any sort of reliable opinion. But when I listen to jazz, I don't expect the sort of aggressiveness that I hear in this piece!

On a technical level, you're very well trained and talented.

But by the end, from a listening perspective, my eyes were wide open and I was wondering where to bury the bodies!

Perhaps that is the reaction that you wanted. If so - you nailed it! grin

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day - Glen playing with others - *head explodes* I'm really looking forward to more of this!

And I really liked the second piece too - get well!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations - This started so slow, and I thought to myself "haha, I'm totally gonna catch up to Andy now". And then you started playing quickly. laugh

And then slowly - with more complicated variations. *slaps forehead*

I'm continually impressed - well done! thumb

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box - You Tube now? - yay! smile I don't know the Music Box, but I did play Steibelt's piece along the way. I loved both your playing and your graphical representation of this.

Well done - on all levels! smile

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation - Wow, so rich - and nice arpeggios!

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne in B flat minor, Op. 9/1 - Wow, so delicate and so awesome. You continually impress all of us, and are an inspiration and motivator for us to get practicing!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Originally Posted by Peyton
I'm on the road ( I'm showing my paintings at the Paradise City art show in Marlborough Ma. If any of you all are in the area come by and say hi) with just my iPhone to access the web so I won't be able to listen till next week, it looks to be an awesome recital !!

Hey Peyton. Give me some time. I'll put all the recital files in "box.com" site to share with you (i think you can listen them with iPhone, right?)
Meanwhile, I have had a terrible day at office, so I'm going to listen this recital only this weekend.

Carlos, you are a champ but don't worry about me. I should have plenty of Time to listen when I get home next week. Hearing the pieces on the phone does not do them much justice anyway.

Sam, I took the fall board off to tune the piano and, just to be different, left it off for the video.

Here they are.
All the files of the 28th ABF Recital, for backup or something else:
https://www.box.com/s/bjwo7eu8wdveqsl2t8kw

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover
Your piano has a celeste-like quality in the opening measures. This is a remarkably listenable composition.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
I had to go back and check to make sure I had read your write-up correctly – Playing only 5 months?? Wow! You are very talented. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
I admire not only your considerable piano skills but also your powers of concentration. I love the high energy you bring to this piece. Very well done.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
I listened to the entire piece was impressed with both your pianistic skills and your ability to create such vivid images with your music.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
33. Serge88 - My Way

"My Way" done your way - highly listenable...

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3

Delicate, sensitive and under full control - reflective and nostalgic...

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You

You should take Jotur up on her offer to play a gig at a geezer's home - before you're in a home waiting to be gigged laugh

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45

Accomplished with the intricate skill that only comes with advancing wisdom & maturity - and at 62 you're a relative "youngster" with some potential for noticeable improvement (you're just to young to realize this yet smile )

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
06. Amaruk - Summer '78
I am a big fan of your music and your stylistic videos. Always a treat to see you post. If you don’t mind me asking, what software do you use to create your video effects?

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
A precise and enjoyable recording. You do an excellent job of maintaining the tempo and keeping a good balance between hands.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
You can always be counted on to bring professional sounding works to the recitals – this is no exception. You have just the right amount of cool swing and attitude in your performance. Nice.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
A fine performance. You play with sensitivity and produced a fine recording.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena
Your piano has the perfect tone for this piece. I like the slower, stately tempo of your rendition. Very well done.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
14. ladypayne - Early Winter
I am enjoying your recent foray into composition. This spirited piece was very easy on the ears – nice playing also.

16. BenPiano - Poem
I really enjoyed this short but charming piece. You play with real style. Excellent.

17. Monica K. - Opening
A lovely and engaging piece played with precision and style. First Rate.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Nice cover Carlos! This is a very solemn and contemplative piece. I enjoyed it a lot, and the work you put in really shows. 

Nice work Jared. This piece reminds me of a green meadow. Video game pieces like this one are hidden gems, and it’s good to see you stepping outside the realm of Alfred books. 

BLAH!! Bad recording quality, but this recording reflects what is my life these days – a part-time single parent (my wife works nights) trying to sneak piano in when I can..lol.

I enjoyed the your first Message from Space too..this one is a nice follow-up, and the title is befitting. It sounds like like a prelude to something big with a nice climactic ending where the aliens finally actually *do* see the sun. Such interesting, and at times, jazzy sounding melodies.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses

wouter79, I have to admit – your playing has really matured! You are a true student of this instrument and it shows with your playing that keeps getting better. Keep it up! PS-nice sound piano!

06. Amaruk - Summer '78

Very nice Amaruk! Sounds like classic Yann Theirsen.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1

You’re right…it’s a very soothing piece.  Bravo!

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)

I love Bach! You did great on these preludes. Thanks for the historical description on these too. Aside from being a great composer, Bach seemed like he was a great teacher too. Pieces like these, and the Inventions, I believe were intended for piano students and have lots of pedadodical (sp?) value.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge

A nice jazzy little piano-bar-esque number. It’s a piece I’d like to enjoy with a cocktail and possibly a stogie..  Your jazz piano skills are very impressive though! It's not an easy genre. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Some more. It's been great having the time to listen in bigger blocks than I've been able to in the past. It's great music - my favorite music on the web.

1. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare Beautiful. You did a wonderful job with your extension - brought that simple, lovely, Renassaince music right through the ages. I loved it.

2. jaredm2012 - To Zanarkind This was great! You played it well.

3. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 I like Bach, especially with kids in the background. Well done!

4. Peyton - Message from Space Very atmospheric (pardon the pun). The left-hand jazz rhythm at about 3 minutes that repeats later is way cool. And great energy at around 7 minutes that really sets up the lyrical part that follows. The repeated notes at the end really *are* the sun's rays as it fully rises. Great and creative work.

6. Amaruk - Summer '78 A perfect follow-on to Peyton's piece smile Very nice.

7. dannylux/Mel - Kosenko Consolation Oh, very nice. A pretty piece, and you are right, quite soothing.

8. Greener/Jeff Green - Little Preludes These Bach's made me smile, Jeff. I love this era's music, and you were right there.

9. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge Really swings nicely. Your solo work is great.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters You play pieces by people I've heard of but never heard. Great way of making them your own and finding music everywhere. I love the pause before the glissando.

12. Jake S - Prelude no. 4 Always room for Chopin in the recital. I like your control over the dynamics of the left-hand chords.

Gotta get some work done and visit a friend who's in hospice frown - more tomorrow.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I'd like to thank all who took the time to listen and comment on my piece!

Originally Posted by jazzwee

What a very wonderful recording quality. No wonder you're able to critique us all on that front, you certainly have it figured out. This is really a pretty piece which I haven't heard before. I said this before, you need to really slow it down to listen to some micro-timing issues. I can sense you controlling rubato but what you're not hearing is the unevenness between the notes. Otherwise very enjoyable!

Thanks jazzwee for your nice feedback and constructive comments. And also again thanks for the more detailed PMs on the micro-timing issue!

Originally Posted by BenPiano
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses - Very well played! This is an interesting piece - clearly Baroque yet with hints of new age type sounds. Couperin was clearly ahead of his time!

Thanks for the nice feedback! I think Couperin was not aware of new age type sounds laugh In fact I'm also not aware that there is new-age type sounds in my playing, so I'd love to hear a bit more detail on this !

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

Who knows what Couperin intended, but what I heard was a conversation between two people, or perhaps a group of people. Point and counterpoint (as you noted), breaking down barriers to understanding and common purpose. Great job -- it really spoke to me about keeping up the good fight of trying to work things out with people with whom it isn't always easy to do so.

Nice to hear that it worked for you, and also thanks for the details on what these barriers are for you. It is interesting how a single performance can elicit so many different interpretations.

Originally Posted by Allard

I can hear the harpsichord hidden between the notes. Sounds great on piano too.

Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Wouter, well done! I am extremely partial to this type of music and thoroughly enjoyed your performance. I also really love the “voice” of your piano!

Thanks cas for your nice comments and glad that you like the voice that I get out of my piano. I always think that everyone has a different taste but given the amount of positive feedback on my piano sound I may have to reconsider that smile

Originally Posted by BeccaBb
Wouter: This is all new to me. A very neat sound to it. I can almost hear the harpsicord in it. Excellent!

Thank you Becca!

Originally Posted by zrtf90

There is a clear maturity in your fingers and a clearer direction in your choice of material. Those who are taking a classical route are struggling to match the sonority and confidence of those taking a more modern direction where the fingers are free of the more rigorous discipline of classical piano but getting to where you are now, whatever path you've chosen, has taken a resolve that will most likely see you continuing on to the next level.

I would be unable to guess your experience from the quality of your performances but I am sure I would have guessed longer in each case. It took me longer to get where you are now.

LOL thanks Richard, interesting how you answer entire groups of people at once!

>Those who are taking a classical route are struggling to match the sonority and confidence of those taking a more modern direction where the fingers are free of the more rigorous discipline of classical piano

Ummm I'm not exactly sure how to read this. Since my piece is definitely classical, I guess your comment on my piece is that I'm struggling to get sonority and confidence?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
W
I enjoyed listening to every track, and each one was original.

Quite a few of the tracks were humbling for me to listen to, and a few were amazing for the years of experience. A LOT of hard work and talent showed in this recital, and I have a lot to learn by continuing to come back to this forum.

My comments may not be as original as the pieces because it was clear that everyone took great care what they submitted, and as a result, everyone did a "good job." Humbled as I am, I don't really feel qualified to judge, but since I wanted to give feedback anyway, I've had to go with my gut. Take it with a grain of salt.

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover This is a very nice melody to preserve in the re-telling. It's the first time I have heard it. The left hand of the extension conjures the image of plucked strings, which feels very fitting.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Very nice first full piece. The broken chords are very clean for five months playing. If you like Final Fanatasy, also try the prelude from II/VII. I wonder if you tried direct recording.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) Amazing focus through distraction and good balance between the voices. The inventions pay dividends so your "plan to do more" is a wise one.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun Your technique and control are an inspriation, clearly well-earned. The development and textural variations were very nice and would have gone missing without the legth. The word is definitely: awesome.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Nice dynamics and breaths.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78 Very good expression and solid left hand. I feel the burn just from watching.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 Pretty pice. I didn't detect any worry about the arpeggios. The attack on the final chord brought a nice resolution.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) Rock steady beat on the D major, polished practice on both, and very good recording.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge The arrangement is full and rich. I definitely got the water part of the picture right down to the current using only ears.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 A nice clean rendition of one of my favorite piano pieces to listen to. Lucky you who get to enjoy playing it like that. I have tried but shelved it to let my technique and psyche catch up. Nice and smooth every time on my favorite figure from bars 6-7 - like snowflakes or misty rain. A little envy is forgiven, right? smile

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover Well played. The mood was more relaxed than I expected but the arrangement kept my interest throughout a few repeats of the track.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor Good job. Also one of my favorite pieces.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena I love how the piece is matched to the piano. It sounds like you have a good base on which to build the even harder version.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter This grabbed my attention right from the start and then again at the first variation. Listening was lots of fun. I like the form and the variations in color. Great composition.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy It's a good name. I feel the rainy mood in the piece.

16. BenPiano - Poem Nice control, expression, and choice of piece.

17. Monica K. - Opening Good job with the tricky rhythm. The flow seemed unbroken.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light Nice piece and mix - very relaxing.

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See Cool, cool, cool. Impressive playing with convincing harmonies and rhythms and a creative composition.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day Angel Eye had a nice groove - I'd say you play really well with others. Morning... is a convincing picture piece, a picture that is becoming a theme in this recital.

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations Good job at making it through them all and sensible choices on tempo and ornamentation - no breakneck speed needed.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box Good playing, especially on the music box. Did I hear it being wound?

23. SandTiger - Shimmer Kudos for an original composition after only 8 months of playing. If I understand "no audio feedback," you should find any recording technique that lets you hear yourself.

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation Lots of feeling in your playing. I also liked the runs.

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne in B flat minor, Op. 9/1 One of my favorite pieces. A good quality recording and amazingly played at 3 years' experience.

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai Nicely put together with a good ear. Experiment more with recording techniques.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby This really drew me in. Good job at playing, arrangement, and production. I appreciated having the personal context from your comments.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) Thank you for the deep study and brave choice of piece. It's clear your practice has been with active mind and ears.

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls Yes, a lovely piece. Good cantabile for the melody.

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk This is awesome. It's a treat to have a live performance, the improv is really on, and the voices from the room transport me to the scene.

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3 A great interpretation. I don't know what you mean by "normally a beautiful piece," but this recording IS beautiful and true to my mental model of the piece.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision Beautiful. I remember this from boys' choir but your version has a lot more grace and depth.

33. Serge88 - My Way Nice performance, phrased like the lyrics, and with lots of detail.

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 Well played. I can totally relate to "two years out of every decade;" life has a way of doing that. The volume seems fine through my headphones; maybe it has been fixed since previous comments.

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral Good job with your playing and thanks for doing the video. The piano has a nice tone.

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 Clearly those lessons stuck with you. I see unwavering balance and composure through difficult material which you have made easy for yourself. Technique, piano, and recording came together into an excellent overall sound quality.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You A heart-felt performance. Thanks for the background in the comments. This is the first time I have heard this.

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 This was lots of fun to listen to. Great cooperation, beat, and dynamics. First attempt at a duet is incredible; it sounds like the last of many. Hats off to you both.

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 Impressive, skillful playing. It takes a more refined ear than mine to offer any suggestion for improvement. The sound quality of the recording is also great.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) It came out very musical and was a pleasure to listen to.

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance A very effective performance that definitely captures the "dance" mood.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World A nice familiar piece. I was happy to hear it.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Thanks for sharing this and for singing, and nice job on the arrangement.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 This is a difficult piece to take on but you have still made headway. For big challenges, I have found the back burner to be the efficient road to progress. It's a philosophical question, but my philosophy is that it's great to give these some attention once in a while but damaging to let them own you.

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band I bet this is a real crowd pleaser. "Like a chicken," ha-ha.

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 I love the piece, and you have done a good job with it. I'm sorry about the storm damage.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around Hello, self.

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) Nice composition, especially the motif around 0:45.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star One of the highlights of the recital for me. It shows lots of skill at vocal, playing, and arrangement.

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman It's great that you found the recital a source of motivation. Despite your comment on "less time," I can tell you have practiced these diligently, holding yourself to a high standard.

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 Good job working through both of these and playing the whole set. It was well done with secure technique. One nit where it could be my hearing that's wrong - should 115 have trills instead of upper mordents?

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. Dom - nice tune and good reading. Santa - never too early. Both are well played.

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor I can tell you put in a lot of practice. Your playing sounded very even to me.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude Nice choice of piece. It sounds very nice while still being manageable. Continue to experiment with the pedal until you find a middle ground that convinces you it's the best.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri Nice layering, patch changes, and arrangement. The parts of the medly work well together.

This is my first recital, and I'm happy to have participated. I mostly lurk on the forum but to those who post, thank you. I learn so much and improve my practice just from reading. I was hesitant to submit anything for the recital, but I am glad that I did. It has inspired me to practice more and better.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Tx-Dennis
05 wouter79 Les Baricades Misterieuses, Francois Couperin
Another beautiful piece. It does not sound easy, but you make it seem effortless, wouter. Great job.

Actually it's not so hard once you get the hang of it. I think I worked about 2 months on it. But there is one weird thing with this piece, I always make a fatal flub (requiring me to restart a few measures back, or even totally forgetting a measure or two) if I try to perform this for someone else (luckily not in front of the mic).

Originally Posted by bessel
Thanks for the introduction to Couperin. It's a really pretty piece of music, and you presented it very well. Nice dynamics and tone... I really enjoyed this a lot.

Thanks for the nice feedback!

Originally Posted by Sam S
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Excellent job. I think this is your best recital piece yet. Of course, I love this piece. You did a good job on the ornaments and bringing out the inner voices. I do prefer a steadier tempo, but that's your call.

Wow, thanks. The piece is too inviting to vary the tempo. Maybe you should try it smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Amazing performance Carlos…. I love this piece. It is pop music at its best!! I can't believe it is so old!! Let us know if you ever create sheets for this arrangement as it is such a great piece.

Oh well, now I understand why all are so impressed with this recital… Amazing Jared. Your performance is very calming. I am not a big gamer but my kids are so I teach our oldest son piano songs from Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter already. Video games seem to be a great channel for piano music these days!!

Dry run? You don't seem to suffer from the red dot syndrome at all. These pieces are not easy and you pull it off great here!! I love your piano too. The plant in the corner makes for a very cozy setting!

Great work Peyton! It sure sounds like some kind of space music! Your video also adds a cosmic dimension to the performance. I can see your lovely painted 'wild women' looking up at the UFO that is about to land in Baxter State Park… Thanks for sharing.

Great performance. I am not familiar with this piece but it sure is great!

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
Some of you have asked me what happened in 1978. In the movie that year is special to the main character in two ways. First, this summer his father sadly ran off to the west and left the family and secondly it was the year the first German cosmonaut was sent up to space (Sigmund Jähn onboard Soyuz 31). The software I used for creating this video is called Final Cut Pro X.

Last edited by Amaruk; 11/17/12 08:12 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by wouter79
LOL thanks Richard, interesting how you answer entire groups of people at once!

>Those who are taking a classical route are struggling to match the sonority and confidence of those taking a more modern direction where the fingers are free of the more rigorous discipline of classical piano

Ummm I'm not exactly sure how to read this. Since my piece is definitely classical, I guess your comment on my piece is that I'm struggling to get sonority and confidence?

I'm not implying you lack confidence or sonority but had you not had to undergo such rigourous technical demands as your piece implies, you might have been able to better match those that haven't in those areas.

I grouped the recitalists in approximate years of experience.

In your group, around three years, the classical players generally face more demanding technical requirements and consequently struggle to keep pace with the overall sound of those who have less severity in their material. These differences sort themselves out over time.

If you look at the next group, all with more than five years experience, you'll find the classical players have caught up and are able to perform with a greater technical facility than those who haven't had that training.

As an example, it's easier to play a chord and make it sound full and rich than to play a varied sequence of notes. The individual fingers need a greater balance in their tonal output to maintain evenness than they do when all fingers are sounding together. The chord has one intensity even if one or two of the notes are louder than the others and gives the impression that the player has greater tonal control. It takes years to balance the fingers well enough to match that effect of chord playing.

You may not remember this but, as an aside, when the Intel 486 chip was in its infancy it appeared that DOS 5.0 ran programs faster than Windows 3.0 because the screen output was smoother. It was several years before the processors were fast enough to make a multi-tasking, graphical enviroment LOOK as smooth as DOS did.

You may deduce from this that it's harder to learn classical piano than pop/rock vamping and it takes three to five years before the classical player 'sounds' as experienced or as competent as the rocker.

In one or two years it would be exceptional for a player to sound as though they'd been playing for three years or more (to an ear as old as mine, at least). After three to five years all the different areas that make up our total sound start to come together. Between five and ten years we develop and mature as players and our own life experiences and our own styles begin to take precedence over our training alone in how we sound. And how we sound has a maturity to it even if we haven't undergone rigorous training.

Once you reach ten years of playing you have a familiarity with the instrument you can't get any other way than spending that time on it. Who you are and how you've spent that time will generally show through. Jazzwee, for example has reached that stage in less than ten years. I have more years of experience than he has but I haven't spent my time as productively but I like to think that I'm still a match for most people with less than that time.

Few of us are exceptional. We all walk by about twelve months and are talking fluently after twenty four, we all take about five years to reach a stage of competence on piano and we all take around ten years to mature on it.

Were I to comment on each individual performance I would either run out of superlatives or start to regurgitate the same 'wonderful's and 'impressive's for everyone and their meanings would lack lustre. I am seriously impressed by every single performance and I still haven't deleted any from my mp3 player nor stopped listening to them. This has been an exceptional recital.

Richard
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations to one and all.

As usual, I am in way over my head with this group. I like to remind myself and others that the recital is a self-selective group. So while only a few are exceptional pianists, the majority tend to be in the above average group.

On most Internet forums, there are ten readers for every participant. For the recital, I'd guess that about 1% of all those reading the forum regularly are uploading their contributions.

Also many here are passionate about piano. Someone with one year of burning passion can get as far as a someone playing for multiple years with modest interest. When I started eight months ago, I could commit two hours a day. That became one hour, and now it is more like 15 minutes. As one might expect, I find my progress to be a lot slower per day, at 15 minutes a day than when I could do an hour or two hours a day.

As for the couple of questions, yes, I am playing and recording without hearing. I tend to play all the way through that way. When I am listening and recording, I often pause or halt for minor flaws. I don't see this as a big deal for the level I am at. If I didn't mention it in my upload summary, I doubt anyone would pick out my beginner recording and say, "hey that person is recording without listening to their music." I suggest playing with the sound off, as a technique to anyone struggling to memorize pieces.

Thanks for all the uploads and all the comments. I bow to the talent, the above averageness, and most especially the many that are taking the time to listen and comment on every recording.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's a nice explanation Richard. Each genre has a different focus, at least early on. I think though that it is easier to sound good (to the general person's ear) in Classical than in Jazz. The reason is that in Classical, at least you know what notes you are going to play so there's a chance to practice it. The difficulty on the jazz side is that we don't know what we will encounter technically until we get there. This means that it is hard to encounter all technical possibilities early on.

As we progress, I think you are right that all the roads lead to the same place. Jazzers start to develop technical proficiency after achieving some musical goals (being able to play with the changes).

Now the difference is that early on, in classical, issues like tone, dynamics get more attention and you get judged at achieving skills in these much early on. In jazz, it's more about time/evenness, swing, and generally more about rhythmic control. It's because you can't even play jazz without these.

But in the end it's all needed. Same skills. Just some skills more than others. I still haven't spent time doing octaves and I'm not good at playing legato thirds. Not encountered as much.

BTW - I had a classical technique teacher too. I just don't play a lot of classical music because I suck at reading. I thought the classical teacher was essential. Lots more work to do though!

I ought to say though that I feel reasonably confident I can sound professional at 10 years. A couple more years to go...It's a long haul and there really are no shortcuts.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission