2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 161 of 540 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bessel
I'm struggling to decide what to submit to the recital... was planning on a Schumann-fest but now considering going with some Clementi, which of course means that neither is really polished. I recorded a good version of "happy farmer" from Schumann, could probably do the same on "Wild horseman" tomorrow, and have a medium recording of the Clementi movement (first take!), so trying to decide what to do, what to do...
Nice to have so many choices! Try them all, and see which you like best.
Meanwhile, I've been working on 12-bar blues in the left hand, the C blues scale, "let it be", and assorted other non-classical stuff, all because we have a rock piano teacher coming to our house on Sundays to teach my son. Of course I sit in the room to soak it in as well. smile
Ha ha! That's how I got started with my lessons. I was learning so much sitting in on my daughter's lessons, I felt compelled to finally get some lesson time for myself.

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I practiced today with a clear head. Incredible difference. I was able to read through and play through the entire fugue from the WTC book II f minor P&F and also Brahms Intetmesso 118 #2. Particularly I enjoyed playing Brahms when I'm not tired. Now that I have notes, I can start experimenting with expressions. I listened to 5 or 6 recording of the piece. Interestingly, I find Glenn Gould recording fascinating. What a great left hand! I did not like his Bach as much as others say I should. But IMHO his Brahms recording was nice. I like Angela Hewitt for Bach. Hope we all have a good week again.
Your traveling must have really taken it out of you. Nice that you're able to concentrate again. That makes a big difference. I recently listened to a Glenn Gould recording of a Mozart sonata that I'm working on, and I hated it! The tempo was extremely slow, the articulation did not follow the score at all, and his humming along with the music was distracting. I haven't listened to enough of his other recordings to make a judgement, but that one did not please me.

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I only did minor simplifications, for instance there is syncopation (I think that is what it is anyway) where the right hand plays an 1/8 note ahead of the left hand. I just play the left hand chord early so that my hands are in synch and it sounds fine.

I also had to figure out a way to gracefully cut out the sax solos in the middle and at the end -- I just wasn't up for trying to adapt those to the piano. All the sheet music versions I found were horrendously schmaltzy or too simple, so I made my own arrangement.
That's quite a skill -- to be able to make your own arrangement of a piece, and especially nice to be able to suit yourself. I hope we can hear it in a future recital.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Week 35: My attention turns to two Christmas songs, God Rest Ye Gentleman and Silent Night.
Getting ready for Christmas already? It looks like a couple people on the forum are starting to work on their carols. Both of these are pretty and should be fun to work on. And really, you can almost play Silent Night as slowly as you'd like, and it still will sound good.

Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by MaryBee
[I was at a fundraiser last night, and one of the auction items was three voice lessons. I won the bid, so now I'm looking at trying out something totally new for me, and something that I'm not at all comfortable with. But I'm still strangely excited.

Excited? Of course! Strangely? Why? Isn't life all about trying new things? You'll let us know what you learned of course?
Oh, because for most of my life I would dread change and try to avoid any situation that was different from what I was used to. I think I'm finally started to grow up and am able to actually enjoy those things now.

The lessons will be after January, so I'll let you guys know how they go. I'm wondering how much you can learn in three 45-minute lessons. Enough to make any kind of difference? I'm thinking that even just getting an awareness of what singing is supposed to involve would be worthwhile.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Bessel. No I don't have a new piano. I was referring to someone else's new piano ( sorry I cannot look it up since I would lose what I typed so far - on an iPhone now).

AtallGuyNH and MaryBee, I think I need to buy a CD for Brahms's recorfing. It's hard to find recording in my iPhone. I don't have my personal laptop any more . Santa told me that I can get an iPad for Christmas. I am trying to articulate with my left hand more. I would like to play the repeat differently with my left hand projected more. I would like to hear how others might have done it. Also after the repeat, there is an interesting section. It almost looks like Brahms inserted a chorus. So far I'm amazed how differently each person is playing the piece. TallGuy, I'm intending to play this in the Piano party iny house next January along with Bach P&F f minor from Book II. Not sure if we record the whole thing at the party. I will see what I can do between now and then.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MaryBee, good luck with your voice lessons. I took a voice lesson once but did not last more than that. I realized I also have to do scales and other technical exercises every day. I guess I developed phobia for scales and exercises.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
AotW: Submitting to the ecital!

This week coming up ... my first taste of jury duty. Unfortunately it's at our local county courthouse, not a top class piano festival jury. Sigh, next time ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl, when I got to the point where I wanted to listen to a lot of different performances of a piece, I ended up going to Spotify. It's sometimes difficult to find good quality YouTube versions, and I couldn't afford to buy as many CDs as I would need to in order to sample all the different versions of a piece. If you wanted to use it on your iPhone, I think you couldn't use the free version, unfortunately. But I ended up going with the paid subscription anyway, because I didn't like the ads, and I wanted to be able to download the music to my iPod and take it with me.

Andy, have fun with jury duty. I did my first jury duty a few years ago, and it was a real learning experience for me.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just nailed Good king w (alfred's one) at 112 bpm! YAHOOO!!!!

I'm starting to love my metronome. smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
A
A
Nice, BeccaBb laugh

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
I just nailed Good king w (alfred's one) at 112 bpm! YAHOOO!!!!

I'm starting to love my metronome. smile

Singing that in my head that sounded like rocket speed; then I realized I was counting it in cut time and your sheet music is probably in 4/4!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by MaryBee
FarmGirl, when I got to the point where I wanted to listen to a lot of different performances of a piece, I ended up going to Spotify. It's sometimes difficult to find good quality YouTube versions, and I couldn't afford to buy as many CDs as I would need to in order to sample all the different versions of a piece. If you wanted to use it on your iPhone, I think you couldn't use the free version, unfortunately. But I ended up going with the paid subscription anyway, because I didn't like the ads, and I wanted to be able to download the music to my iPod and take it with me.

Andy, have fun with jury duty. I did my first jury duty a few years ago, and it was a real learning experience for me.

MaryBee
I just signed up for it. This program is fantastic. Its amazing that I never heard of it. I so far likes Murray Prahia (spelling?). Thank u

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
MaryBee - very cool you are going to have some voice lessons. I bet you can get something worthwhile even from just a few lessons! Do let us know how they go!

TallGuy, I'm going to have to sit and listen to the piece several times to refresh my memory! I'm sitting here trying to remember how it starts! ack!

Bessel! You'd best make up your mind and start recording my dear!
(I find for the first time ever, I'm tempted to re-record and re-submit! I've had a lesson since I recorded and something just "clicked"... but I don't know if I have the time and energy to make a new version! Nonetheless, it is interesting that I'm even considering it!)

I looked up Spotify but it isn't available to folks here in Italy! grr.

Andy --- I've never done jury duty --- I hope it isn't too deadly boring for you!
Congrats on getting the recording submitted (I'm right behind you in the lineup!)

BeccaBb --- good for you!!!

I spent this evening going through my Christmas book and having a blast. My husband has been humming Christmas tunes since I stopped! Too funny!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I finally have an accomplishment to share here!

I got a keyboard to use at work (the parent organization bought it for me!) and I've been singing a little bit with the kids at school. (I am the speech-language pathologist at a school for kids with autism).

Song for November:
Gray squirrel, Gray squirrel, swish your bushy tail!
Wrinkle up your little nose/Pick a nut up with your toes!
Gray squirrel, Gray squirrel, swish your bushy tail.

Today, one kid who normally doesn't even talk sang along with me!

Full disclosure: I only play C major chord as the accompaniment, so there is room for improvement.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
AtallGuyNH and MaryBee, I think I need to buy a CD for Brahms's recorfing. It's hard to find recording in my iPhone.

Well, so you can hear on your iPhone, links to my favorite versions:
#4 Kissin (jump to 2:01): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3MypevjcA
#3 Cory Hall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985bRbxl1SM
#2 Guevara: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQPwiR4PKfs
#1 kamibambiraptor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7PHV8MdUQ

Part of the appeal of the last one is definitely the tonal intimacy of the recording and the piano itself. It feels and sounds like I'm sitting right next to him in a wicker chair in a small and somewhat rumpled living room, so unlike a concert performance in a grand hall. It suits the piece so nicely.

It's a shame he only has 700+ views on this, but he has over 6 million views overall for his work, which is incredibly impressive.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
aTallGuyNH,
Thank you for all the link above. I listened to them after I listened to professional recording for Murray Prahia et al via Spotify. Although I love Murray's best I appreciated different interpretation and sounds. For example I agree with overall shaping in Kissin. I wish i could hear it in a better recording I still like Gould's sparkling sounds but I did not like his interpretation of rhythm. But I liked his very clean execution of 32nd notes followed by a dotted 16th which are sprinkled throughout the piece. Many emphasized left hand part second time in the famous repeat to a different degree. It was also very good to hear that the part comes before the repeat, where the melody line comes on my 4th and 5th fingers in my left hand, many connected it to the recurring theme very well. It made sense to me. I grinned thinking about my own poor playing there. I really did not understand why i had to emphasize those notes there. Murray did it incredibly well and moved me. His playing so sensitive, clean and yet emotional. Even the top note of the chord ABF#B in the last page was effective.

IMHO I did not think so much of the last recording. Maybe because the recording equipment, the recording did not sound clear. I also don't think this take is his final one. If I may dare say (ignoring how bad I am), I'm afraid if some of the chords might not have been played together, timining could have been a bit off and he seems to hit a couple of wrong notes. However, having said that, he definitely plays much better than me. In fact everyone on Yutube does. So it doesn't really matter what I say:). I appreciate you getting the video. It was very educational.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

I got a keyboard to use at work (the parent organization bought it for me!) and I've been singing a little bit with the kids at school. (I am the speech-language pathologist at a school for kids with autism).

Song for November:

Full disclosure: I only play C major chord as the accompaniment, so there is room for improvement.

Aww that's cute re the child malkin- well done! I like grey squirrels as well- they are funny. I used to have one I called Nutkin climb up to my window in a place I used to live and I would give him peanuts. I'll always miss him.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Song for November:

smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AOTD... played reeeeeaaaaally slowly, to the point where my daughter started doing super slow motion ballet moves to go along with Clair de Lune (which for the record I have absolutely no business playing, but I love it, so I'm trying). She was being silly and I think making fun of me a bit too. She was very cute though and I was glad that my practice really was as dramatically slower as I thought it was!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi,

My AOTW is being able to play very slow and musical. Not yet good, but there's a start. It's so difficult. I hear my teacher doing it, so I know it's possible.

My teacher lets me play pieces that are too difficult, because I like it. She did the same when she was a kid. She says I will learn from it anyways.

To learn such a piece needs a different approach. And my teacher guides me. Not to stress when something is impossible to do it right. Playing the piece very slow and musical, because there is no way I will play it faster. ha Being happy with the result, although it doesn't sound as it should. It's so much fun to do.

I play Chopin op 10 no 12 half way and just starting with Bach's BWV 847 wtc 1, prelude 2. Those pieces will last forever, so I can go back anytime in the future and practise again. My confidence is bigger now to tackle any piece with the right attitude. Next will be Chopin balade no 1.

As if my Christmas wishlist comes true. 3hearts

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great Chris! Chopin ballade next- thumb

I had my piano lesson and my teacher said my sight reading has really improved and my timing- said whatever I have been doing is working and to keep at it! Part of it is down to his teaching methods and part of it the help I have got on this brilliant forum.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/17/12 12:16 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Week 36: I performed at my local Songmakers hoot. I did two tunes, Shimmer, which I did for the recital, and December Rain. Both are on my blog:
http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
(same as the piano_uploads signature link).

December Rain is under Five Easy Pieces and one of my early compositions. I received several compliments, especially for Shimmer, which to me feels like my best compositional work to date.

I kept a decent practice schedule of about 20 minutes a day. I made some progress on God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman and Silent Night. I can play them slow, like 1/3 regular tempo.

The big news on ABF is the release of the recital. I again remind folks that the recital participants are a self-selective group. Perhaps only 1% of those that regularly read the forum uploaded a contribution. On most Internet forums there are ten readers for every person that posts, and of those that post, not everyone uploaded. So if a person is comparing, they are likely comparing to the above average group. Those less sure of themselves tend not to share their music.

Thanks for all the reports. Keep at it. Small progress is progress. Rarely are there huge leaps for any of us.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My teacher insisted that I take a sticker for "Jelly Bean Rag!"

Learner
Page 161 of 540 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission