2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
As we know, composers tend not to be considerate of us poor pianists, especially if they have no intention of playing the music they write grin - whether placing exorbitant demands on our technique, or size or shape of our paws, or flexibility of our joints, etc, etc.

I've been looking at Youtube recordings of the finalists of the 2010 Chopin Competition to see what paths their careers have taken since, and discovered Hélène Tysman's fine performance from December 2011 of Ravel's D major Piano Concerto with a student orchestra (Liszt School of Music, Weimar). I noticed her bleeding middle finger during the closing cadenza, and realized that the injury occured during the ff upward glissando at the end of the opening cadenza, after which she grimaced and wiped her fingers on her handkerchief. In the subsequent glissandi, she used only her thumb.

When I practise pieces with glissandi, I usually 'play' them silently, sliding my fingernails lightly over the keys without depressing them. Do you do the same, or have you sustained injuries similar to Tysman while playing or practising them?

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I stubbed my toe playing once, oddly enough.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

When I practise pieces with glissandi, I usually 'play' them silently, sliding my fingernails lightly over the keys without depressing them.

Me too. I ripped up my finger on Alborada del gracioso, so I quickly learned how to practice with gliding over the notes.

I also sneezed while playing one time and messed up my shoulder pretty bad.

R
R
I wore the wrong shoes once and thought I felt a calf cramp coming on during pedaling. Agh. I think it would've sent me right off the bench.

Isn't it better to play in a flat shoe than a heel? (I assume only females will answer this, but......ya nevah know.)

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Often, during the dry winter months, my skin will crack and separate from the nail, causing pain and sometimes bleeding. It's not really a "piano" injury, per se, but it certainly causes problems. When I had more time in front of the keys, this problem used to occur with greater frequency, and I used a liquid band-aid product religiously during those months.

Lately, since I have no performance obligations, and no piano, when I notice it happening, I just stop and wait for it to heal.

I've never cut my hand open on glissandi, despite playing some nastily sharp old/cracked-ivory-key pianos. If that's a major issue, you can try the rock-n-roll solution: thumb rings. I tend to use my nails--middle finger on the way up, thumb on the way down (opposite for LH). Make sure you have a nice angle on the keys so your hand glides easily and doesn't "cut" into any one key.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Funny story. I was playing Jeaux D'eau in a masterclass a couple years back. The teacher demonstrated how the black key glissando should be played. And he demonstrated over...and over again. Eventually some skin tore off and he started to bleed on the piano. It wasn't much and I didn't notice until he asked me to play it again...which I did -_-

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
B
OP Offline
B
I remember watching an old movie about Chopin - he coughed blood onto the keyboard with his TB. Bleeding onto the keys after playing glissandi can be even more messy....

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
"A Song to Remember" is what the movie is called I believe. Love that movie!

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Cheeto717
Oh me too! I've always remembered the (rather apt) description of it I once read: A wild piece of gorgeous junk.

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My third finger is cursed I think. Two weeks ago I shut it in a heavy door giving me a bruise on either side of the knuckle; last week a binder of music falling on it cut it, and I was afraid it would start bleeding during a performance just 30 minutes later ; and yesterday something started hurting internally, either because of playing some Prokofiev too aggressively or because of a nerve problem that I had a while back.

There was another performance I went to in which two pianists had to perform. When the second pianist came out, he sat down at the piano, looked at the keys and then went back offstage. He came back with a wet rag and proceeded to clean the blood off the keys from the previous performer.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
There was another performance I went to in which two pianists had to perform. When the second pianist came out, he sat down at the piano, looked at the keys and then went back offstage. He came back with a wet rag and proceeded to clean the blood off the keys from the previous performer.

Sounds like the first guy snapped a nail off maybe?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I "stubbed" my RH fifth finger on the sloped front of a black key practicing the last mvt. of Mozart K. 283 several years ago. Stayed sore for a summer.

It didn't help holding a violin bow, also, as the pinky often supports the weight of the bow.

The end of Debussy's "L'isle joyeuse" is notorious: I bruised a finger tip firmly hitting wood a few times instead of that A at the end of the keyboard when I played that work several decades ago.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Accidental injuries are mostly what I'm seeing...am I the only one who bruises my fingertips from hitting notes too hard? shocked

E
E
I tried to pull a Lang Lang and I got a severe muscle cramp in my face.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I've hurt my own morale when I've played terribly.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Oh me too! I've always remembered the (rather apt) description of it I once read: A wild piece of gorgeous junk.

Could also have been La Note Bleue, a French Chopin "biopic" (a weird piece of grotesque junk) In that one there's a positive gusher onto the keys which he frantically attempts to mop up with his hankerchief.

I've transiently injured both wrists from too enthusiastic reaches, nothing that hasn't gone away by itself.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I have developed painless, situation specific involuntary movements, restricted to piano playing, on two occasions. Both took a lot of discipline and time to get rid of. The funny thing was that they were inaudible and invisible to everyone but me. Of course through the internet I know now what they most likely were, but not knowing, I devised methods for myself which fixed them. I have never experienced pain through playing and hope I never do.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
B
OP Offline
B

I do love those melodramatic movies, especially when pianists and l'amore are involved grin. They don't make 'em like that anymore, more's the pity - probably because few people play the piano these days and don't understand the looniness (sic) of the long-distance pianist. Thanks for reminding me what the title of that movie is - must get the DVD for Christmas - need a break from the umpteenth viewing of The Sound of Music....

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I can't play a glissandi yet, I am a beginner - I can barely a tuck a thumb under !

I do experience great pain everytime I play a wrong note.

I have had the piano only a few months and they told me it was tuned recently but for me to tune after it turns cold and I turn the heat on in the house. So I haved tuned it yet - probably later this month or in December.

When I play two notes together and one of the notes is wrong - I stupidly think immediately that my piano needs to be tuned!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just my pride ha

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission