2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
A
A
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I am glad you thought Music Box was cute – I thought so too the first time I heard it! However, I had no idea it was a song! Could you send me the word please?

It's not exactly the same, but the similarities are striking. I suspect the Dutch song may be based on the one you're playing. Or perhaps they have another source in common. Most Saint Nicholas songs have many variations and versions by different artists. Here's one alike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6gdE7_dmc

I found this blog briefly explaining the event. It has an English translation of the song: http://www.mamalisa.com/blog/st-nicholas-arrives-in-the-netherlands-on-a-steamboat/

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations Andy, performing is all about quality, not quantity. It is obvious that you are trying your best at evenness, tone control, timing, volume etc. I'm not familiar with this piece but I can appreciate the effort you are putting into it as it shows. Keep up the good work.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box Cheryl, your first piece was very nicely played with a gentle, delicate touch. I also loved the bright music box sound of the second tune. Very nice.

23. SandTiger - Shimmer For 8 mos, your doing great Tiger. Stay with it as you will be exponentially rewarded for it.

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation Top notch playing as always Mike. You are certainly one of my inspirations when it comes to what you can play by ear. Great as always.

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne in B flat minor, Op. 9/1 Hawgdriver, this was easily one of the most beautiful performances I have ever heard you play. Possibly one of the nicest performances I have ever heard here in the ABF recitals. Seriously, this was an incrediblly beautiful piece that you just nailed! I have little goosebumps now from listening. I really do! Wow what a gorgeous submission.

Bravo.

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai This was nicely played. A little bit of background 'hiss' was evident but that is easily fixed. Keep up the good progress.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby Hey Ken, this is pro sounding stuff. Very easy and relaxing to listen to. Heck, I'm groovin' to it right now!. Well done.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) You did a beautiful job with this tune MaryBee. Some of your trills were very impressive and the piece was executed extremely well at all levels. Don't be afraid to experiment with various sounds and melodies and incorporate them into your variations. That's really where the fun stuff starts. Well done,

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls Very nicely played Allard. You may also look into David Lanz's 'Chistiforis Dream'. You definitely have the skills to play it and it is a beautiful piece. I'd like to hear it from you some day.

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk Oh how cool is this?, A live gig performance complete with conversation, snacks, and probably a few hot chicks too. What's not to love about that? How 'bout inviting me next time? hehe. Very cool.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Before starting commenting on the individual entries, I would like to give some general comments. I have never participated in anything like this before, and I enjoyed it very much. I was in doubt, however, if I should add my own contribution. This is an Adult Beginners Forum, and although I’m definitely an adult, I’m hardly a beginner with 45 years nearly uninterrupted experience and some seven years on the pump organ before that. Listening to the previous ABF recital, however, I found that my level is comparable to many of the entries, and therefore I decided to give it a try. I have the same impression of the present recital. Many contributions are at high level, and there is not a single entry I didn’t enjoy listening to.

I have spent most of the time with classical music, but I also play popular songs by ear and have tried to do some composing. When comes to individual comments I’m you may notice that I pay more attention to the classical pieces. This is simply because I have better knowledge about this kind of music.

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover This is a nice tune, and you improvise well around the theme. I can hear that you have real fun with it.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand I didn’t know this beautiful melody, and I’m glad you shared it with us. You play well.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) This gave me a flashback to the time when I had kids and tried to practise the same piece. Both voices come out clearly as well as the ornaments. I think you will benefit from relaxing a bit more when you play. I know that this is difficult, but it is almost as important as getting the notes right.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun This piece contains several good musical ideas. I find it a bit difficult to actually hear what you try to say with your left hand. The overall impression, however, is good.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Nice to have Couperin represented in the recital. You play well. Maybe some less rubato would do in music from that time. But I enjoyed very much listening to it.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78 A charming little piece. You play it well.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 I have never heard about Kosenko before. This piece is really beautiful, and you play it exellently. I would really like to find some more of his music to play myself.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) This was very diciplined playing of Bach’s preludes. I think you are ready for stepping up to more challenging stuff.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge Although I hardly ever play jazz myself I admire those who can do it. And you do it with great elegance.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 This piece is more difficult that many listeners actually believe. One of the challenges is the two-versus-three rythm. I know about experienced musicians who avoid this because they find it too difficult. The Arabesque har other challenges as well, but you seem to master them. Maybe you sometimes tend to rush a bit. Dynamics are important in this music, and you do it very well.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover Clever fingers doing good improvisation. I heard this music played on guitar, and I think you showed great creativity transcribing this to the piano.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor This is one of the “simple” pieces in the piano literature that actually are not simple at all. You do very well with such short experience. Having reached this level already, you have good foundation to improve further.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena Joplin is never easy to play. You do it well. Perhaps you should consider using the pedal slightly less.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter Expressive music with some nice variations both in rythm and speed. It gives me an impression of the frozen landscape.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy Beautiful melody and nice harmonies. Put me in a bit melancholic mood.

16. BenPiano - Poem It was very nice for me to hear this melody again. It was very popular in different versions when I was a kid. You play it well. To further improve, you could try to make out the melody even more. I’m sure you can.

17. Monica K. - Opening Interesting composition with several good musical ideas. I’m sure you had a lot of fun working it out.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light (You seem to have very good control over your fingers. Your rythm is perfect. This is not my style of music, but it sounds professional to me.

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See Good playing, and composing such music definitely requires lots of creative skills. I liked it.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day Another example of elegant jazz playing. I wish I could do something similar to this.

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations Rameau is another of the early music composers deserving more attention. I enjoyed listening to your performance. You make out the ornaments well, and I think you do well with the phrasing in both hands. Good job.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box Very clever! These pieces sound easy, but they are actually quite hard since they are so transparent. I enjoyed listening.

23. SandTiger - Shimmer Not bad after such a short time. I think you have a natural feeling for composing that you should develop further.

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation I have never heard about Cecile Chaminade. Nice piece. Somehow it reminds me of Elgar’s piano edition of “Nimrod”, but Meditation seems to be more difficult with even bigger chords and arpeggii. I enjoyed listening to this emotional piece.

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne in B flat minor, Op. 9/1 This Nocturne is extremely difficult to play because of some very complex polyrythmic places. I think you do very well, also with the dynamics. Congratulations with a great job.

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai I can hear that you enjoy what you are doing. Seems that you have good control on your fingers.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby You really achieve this swinging rythm that I have such problems with myself. Very enjoyable to listen to.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) A “dangerous” piece to play since it is so frequently performed. But you do it very well, and you have been quite successful with the interpretation. Sometimes you could perhaps reduce the pedal. But your fingers do a very good job.

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls A nice little piece, and you play it well with good dynamics.

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk As I have pointed out for several other posters I can’t play jazz myself. But you seem to be very good at it. It really swings.

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3 So nice to hear a piece of Faure. He is one of my favourite composers and I study a couple of his pieces myself. I enjoyed your performance, and hope to hear more from you.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision This melody is also frequently used in Church of Norway. I play it quite frequently on organ during church services. I find your interpretation very nice and harmonies very exiting. Well played!

33. Serge88 - My Way Nice! I liked it very much.

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 A very beautiful, sad piece. I enjoyed your playing very much.

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral You do very well after 7 months. Playing a piece with such large chords can be quite difficult. Also nice to listen to a Tchaikovsky piece here.

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 Such music make me dream. I’m impressed by your ability to bring out the melody along with the arpeggii. You master this music very well, and have the resources to do the dynamics along with the complexity of the notes.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You I agree. Maybe it is because I’m growing old, but I somehow think that they made better popular melodies in the good old times than they do now. I enjoyed your playing very much.

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 So nice to hear a family duet. This Diabelli piece was very enjoyable to listen to, and I imagine you had a lot of fun playing it. Good drive and dynamics and sounding almost like it were played by one single musician (in other words - very good timing)

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 My comment on my own performance – far from perfect. Maybe I should get a teacher.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) Another piece that is much more difficult to play than it sounds. You have good control on it. Very good feeling of rythm and dynamics.

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance Being from Norway I know something about Edward Grieg’s elves. They are very light-footed and somewhat elusive. I think you accomplish to express this very well, and look forward to another Grieg piece from you.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World Enjoyable to listen to.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Nice to hear the human voice accompanied by the piano. I enjoyed listening to this nice melody.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 An extremely difficult piece to play. You have a very long way to learn all of it, but I think you have started well. Any pianist wanting to perform a piece like this has to start somewhere and learning all the small notes. Combining the different voices is also an enormous job and so far you have managed. Good luck with the continuation!

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band Another old favourite from my student days. I appreciate your elegant playing very much.

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 Very well played indeed. Perhaps the performance I enjoyed the most during this recital. You approach professional standards. Impressive after 3,5 years.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around Good tempo and steady rythm. I liked it.

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) Nice little piece. A bit sad. Very original ending.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star Very emotional and a bit thoughtful performance. I enjoyed it.

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman I think the wild horse is safe and sound. You have it in your fingers. To improve further, maybe you should try to relax a bit. This could make a good performance even better.

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 You do the ornaments in the G.minor part very well. I enjoyed listening. For further improvement, focus on letting the music flow, and relax. You are doing well.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. Nice to be presented to the “Dom” song. And very fun and enjoyable to listen to the Christmas tune.

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Well played and at high tempo. So well played that I may critisize a bit. Maybe you should slightly reduce the speed and focus on evenness and phrasing. With so little experience you must have a great potential.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude You selected a beautiful little piece and played it well. I enjoyed listening.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri This was also fun listening to. Exiting harmonies, particularly in the beginning. I also noticed a sequence with interesting (10:8) rythm. Nice!

A
A
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls Very nicely played Allard. You may also look into David Lanz's 'Chistiforis Dream'. You definitely have the skills to play it and it is a beautiful piece. I'd like to hear it from you some day.

Thanks smile

Cristofori's Dream is actually the second 'real' piece I started out to learn, after To Zanarkand. With about 4 months experience, I couldn't play it past the first four pages. Learning the rhythm for the opening tones was a useful enough lesson, so I'm not complaining. All the quints and octaves were more than I could handle then, so I shelved the piece for later.

My 'easy piano' book does have a shortened version of Cristofori's Dream. It totally butchers the piece by simplifying the broken chords into two-note blocks. Ugh. They were easily enough replaced by the real chords, leaving only an unsatisfyingly small middle part to worry about. Maybe I should get a recording?

There's one problem with David Lanz's music, by the way. His hands are scary. In the real version of Before the Last Leaf Falls the opening chords are 10 notes wide. Ten! My teacher showed he can do it, but I can only reach for an octave.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by windywindy

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Nice dynamics and breaths.

Great, particularly for the comment on the breaths. I think those are essential for a piece and it's good to hear positive feedback on my attempts

Originally Posted by Amaruk
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
Great performance. I am not familiar with this piece but it sure is great!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Very nicely played Wouter. It is obvious that you are trying your best at...everything. Noticeable attention to detail I'd say. Very nice to listen to.

Thanks Mr Super-Hunky, yes I spend a lot of time on fine-tuning these pieces. It gives a good feel to have something really finished as good as possible and to have rendered an adequate version of a piece that I really like.

Originally Posted by MaryBee
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses This so lovely, I had to listen to it twice. For some reason its simple beauty almost brought tears to my eyes. I like your use of pauses and dynamics, and I think your tempo choice is perfect for this performance. Thank you for bringing Couperin to the recital. I'm off now to look up the sheet music for this...

What! Now that's interesting, does this happen at a particular place eg the final couplet or the refrain, or is it the total? And, it's not a sad piece , but not overly joyful either, so what kind of tears are we thinking then?

Originally Posted by jazztpt
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
What a lovely melody , you obviously have an affinity with "early" music, very nicely done.

Thanks jazztpt! Yes, I played viola so I guess I'm always looking for good phrasing and melody so that might be related to this

Originally Posted by Greener
05 wouter79
Agree Wouter, this is a lovely piece. I'm just beginning to understand more about classical formats and really taking a liking to the Rondo format as well. Nicely presented, terrific recording, and great playing.

Good to hear, thanks!

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Nice to have Couperin represented in the recital. You play well. Maybe some less rubato would do in music from that time. But I enjoyed very much listening to it.

Thank you for the nice comments! The piece is too inviting and has fermata signs even in it so I gave it a generous amount of what I thought it asked for grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Coldsalmon
I have been working on this piece for way too long, and I offer it here with mistakes included. I would have recorded it on my brand new 1953 Baldwin Acrosonic that I bought last Thursday, but it was destroyed last Sunday in Hurricane Sandy. That's life, I suppose.

What, you lost it even before it arrived!!? Now that's extremely sad. You loose all your money or was it insured?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by CASINITALY
Thanks Richard – I really enjoyed seeing how you grouped people in your feedback. I think it is really interesting to see how others who stared more or less at the same time have progressed – some are so far ahead of me, I can’t imagine “catching up”! But it isn’t about catching up, I know, it is enjoying the journey. I have been feeling on the edge of a big change for the past couple of months and your words really describe this feeling to a T. Thanks so much for your feedback.

You're right, Cheryl, it's not about catching up. It's about developing. If you ignore technical facility for a moment and listen to quality, range, consistency and control of tone, you'll find that all those in your group are ahead of those with less experience and those in the group above are a little ahead of where you are now. I think Andy is also much closer to the next group but I think you'll be there this time next year.

You'll find at this stage it doesn't really matter how hard the pieces are that you learn as long as they're sufficiently challenging. If you take easier material you'll play it with better control and if you take harder material you struggle to bring out the music in the piece. Your tone will grow with regular practise and your technical facility will reach the same level once you start attempting pieces at that next level.

Both your pieces are played with a fine and delicate control, well suited to the music and that you may not have managed a year ago.

Richard

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I had hoped to start my comments earlier, but I've been preoccupied the last few days with a very sick cat with acute renal failure who required daily trips to the vet for IV fluids and other treatment. The good news is that she will make a full recovery. smile The bad news is that vet bills topped $1200. eek

Anyway, I have only now had time to sit down and listen carefully again to entries. Here's my first installment. I hope to get through them all before Thanksgiving.

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover: This is one of my favorites of the recital (no surprise there!). The melody is so pretty, but the original piece is so short, that it is calling out for somebody to do what you did. You accomplished well the goal of introducing new variations while preserving the spirit of the original melody. A beautiful job!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand: Congratulations on your first recital! I love this piece, and I’ve tried to learn it in the past but was always too intimidated by the monster fast arpeggios on the last repeat. I like how you changed it to make it manageable, and I may just shamelessly copy you and do it that way myself.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772): I am always impressed when I hear people playing Bach in the recitals... all those voices! All those trills! All those nonstop notes! I also loved the homey feel of the sounds of children in the background. smile

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun: This reminds me a bit of Ryuichi Sakamoto’s work. As I mentioned on the video, the transition at 2:45 was just gorgeous. I think this is your best piano solo composition yet.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses: I had never heard of Couperin, and I appreciate being introduced to his work. I was surprised to hear that it dates all the way back to 1717; it has a modern feel to it, dare I say almost Tiersenesque?

06. Amaruk - Summer '78: Any of you who haven’t watched the video for this should do so... it’s terrific, with the different camera angles, lighting, and interposed scenes. “Goodbye, Lenin!” is such a bittersweet movie, and you do a great job of bringing out the poignancy in your playing.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1: A very dreamy, romantic piece played beautifully. Don’t you just hate those pieces where the hardest measures are at the end?!?

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936): And here I need to repeat what I said for cebukid: I’m impressed by those of you who can play Bach well, with all those voices and endless notes! I was also very impressed by your recording quality; the dual mics and pre-amp give it a nice full sound with no background hiss or flatness.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge: I like the characterization of this piece as more “Debussy than Ellington.” It definitely has a slower romantic feel than most Ellington works. I like how you give it a nice relaxed swing.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1: Oh gosh this piece sounds hard... you do a great job of making all the runs/arpeggios sound so delicate and effortless.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
Great preformance of a lovely piece. I don't know this composer but it sounds like his music has influences from Chopin. Thanks for sharing.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
Bach music is always such a pleasure to listen to and you do these pieces great justice with this excellent performance. I can tell that you have this music in you as it sounds so natural.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
Great arrangement and performance here Riddler! The relaxed tempo is very calming and your soft playing brings out all the colors in this piece in a great way.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Great work!! Your absolutely nailed this piece with this perfect performance. I don't hear any stiffness as it sounds so playful and elegant to me.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover
I am very familiar with this piece and your lovely arrangement/performance makes this piece shine like the sun over Arizona! Thanks for sharing!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
Yes, Chopin!! I don't think any of his pieces are easy and your performance here is great. I love how you bring out the dynamics so good.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena
Great performance. I also don't think this sounds like "easy piano" and I hope you will share the full version with us at some point too.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter
I simply loved this. What a dramatic piece you have come up with here. I find the tempo interesting and it draws you in somehow. Your performance is top notch too. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Amaruk; 11/18/12 08:45 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

31. zrtf90 (Richard) Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No.. Thanks for sharing this piece Richard. It truly is a lovely piece and your playing presented this melody to my ears in a very pleasing way. Nicely done.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision (Dennis what I like best about this performance is how smoothly your notes flow together leading into some very dramatic chords/melodies. The emotion and timing you put into this piece further accentuates this. Nicely done.

33. Serge88 - My Way Good thing you did an excellent job with this tune Serge because everyone knows it and will critique the tiniest screw up! hehe. I especially liked the upper register melody about half way in. Nice crisp recording too.

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 This was very nice LizAnne. I can hear the effort you are putting into the dynamics. Especially the soft fade at the end. By the way, think of playing the piano the way you would want to get (or receive) a sensual massage. In an odd way, that's dynamics!

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral This performance sounded very good to me, sound quality and all. For such a short time playing, you seem to be very much on the right track.

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 Well, this is way out of my range and abilities but I can certainly enjoy this piece thanks to your performance of it. Very well done.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You Nobody brings back the oldies like you do TJ and I'm glad you do. There is so many memories and fabulous melodies to go along with them we must never discard them or even trade them in for some of the current rubbish. Not all the new stuff is bad, just like not all the old stuff is good. But, this one IS a classic. Nicely played for us all to enjoy.

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 Holy cow this was a fun and perky piece to listen to. How cool it is to be able to perform this with your daughter. I was thoroughly impressed and entertained the entire time. Bravo to both of you.

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 For a first time recording you get an A+! (Even I can't get the recording part right after 7 years!) This was a beautiful presentation of a beautiful piece. Well done.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) Sam this sounded just GREAT. Especially knowing YOU rebuilt the piano yourself...(10 extra points). Plus, the clarity of the recording was very good. Carry on with your current recipe as it seems to be working very well. Nicely performed as well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
What! Now that's interesting, does this happen at a particular place eg the final couplet or the refrain, or is it the total? And, it's not a sad piece , but not overly joyful either, so what kind of tears are we thinking then?
It was very strange, because I'm not usually very emotional. But it touched me somehow. No, it wasn't sadness. Nostalgia, perhaps? It was the refrain, I think, that brought back feelings of childhood.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
I was delighted to find myself in the group you’ve placed me in...I know the “resolve” part is true, but everything else came as a surprise and delight to hear it applied to me.

Ask anyone starting to sing and play at the same time how hard it is and they'll let you know how easy wind players have it - they have a cast iron excuse not to even try. What you're achieving is no small matter.

You posted a recording of something in a piano bar, maybe a St. Patrick's thing or st. Valentine's thing, I can't remember. Listen again to the runs in Broken Hearted Me around 1:05 or the section beginning at 1:50, just as isolated examples. There's an undeniable level of confidence, experience and hard work there.

You're making clear progress, Starr Keys, and you have reached a level where you can no longer be considered a beginner. Go back and compare some of your earlier recordings with this latest recital piece and then re-read my comments.

Thank you Richard for your generous comments and kind elaboration on your earlier comments on my submission. I can’t tell you how grateful I am. I did think I had made some progress an achieving a little more freedom of expression in the style I’m aiming for but I was beginning to have my doubts about it. Thanks for being so specific about the places in the piece you thought this was evident. As far as comparing it with my earlier submissions, though, if it was the Valentine’s Day piece I’m afraid that might be comparing apples and oranges as I wasn’t able to practice that much due to circumstances beyond my control. But when I compare it with my first Youtube video (Kiss from a Rose) almost two years ago which I worked on more than “Broken Hearted Me,” I can definitely see what you mean.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 11/19/12 01:12 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
06. Amaruk - Summer '78 Interesting video; nice editing! You convey the tension in the music quite well. I can see what you mean about your left hand getting a workout!

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 That was nice to listen to. Very pretty arpeggios toward the end.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) I especially like No.2. Would have loved to hear this done in the recording studio! But still lovely on your own piano. Your steady tempo is impressive.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge A relaxed, pleasant listening experience. But then I read this: "Chelsea Bridge is classical in its integration of melody and harmony as an organic whole." Huh? I guess I really don't understand jazz. smile

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 Your performances never disappoint. This one is smooth, gentle, and conversational. Love the 3 against 2 sections.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover I didn't know the original, so I just went and listened to it. I can appreciate what you say about how difficult it is to try to transcribe this for piano. You've done a great job.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor A touching performance from the first note to the last. I like how you keep the left hand from becoming overpowering.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena Even with the tempo a bit slower than usual, you keep a nice bounce to it. Fun to listen to.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter An interesting piece, filled with different moods. Does it reflect the range of feelings you have for your Alaskan winter?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Here are two more group comments:

Original Arrangement, Improvised, Played by Ear - Jazz or Cocktail

9. Riddler - Ed
20 Inlanding - Glen
27. KenJazz
30 Jazzwee

This is the cream of the crop in this category. Not Strayhorn, Angel Eyes, Bill Evans, and Thelonious Monk, but Nos. 9, 20, 27 and 30. All of you sound like accomplished professionals to me. As far as omitting some melody, Glen, isn’t this part of the skill of a good jazz improviser – to let someone else play the bass and melody while you make them look good, and to be able to totally improvise your own melodies against a progression on your solo?

This is what Jazzwee did – I didn’t recognize the tune written out in my fakebook lead sheet for Blue Monk – but I, like everyone else, loved what you did (first time they really quieted down was when you started your solo). Anyway, I think they must have gotten just as quiet for Glen—it is really exciting to see you rounding out your “total musician” skills like this!

And Ken, every time I hear you play I forget my troubles and get happy, not only from the music but just to think it’s possible to achieve this much in 5 years time. Beautiful, slower and more mellow take that the original on this beautiful jazz waltz.

Ed, as the only one playing entirely solo without a combo, you were totally about the melody. And what a haunting melody! You managed to accentuate this quality and take it to the limit with your classy and nostalgic beautiful playing and arrangement. I remember when I first started frequenting this site and you were posting your classic jazz transcriptions of original artist’s performance. Seems like all that work paid off with interest.

Original Arrangement, Improvised, Played by Ear - Not Jazz or Cocktail

1Carlos
26MusicaMusique

Both of you used dramatic bass sonority to good effect to break the spell of the hypnotic lulling quality of the main motif, but overall these two contributions emphasized two distinct styles, one flowing and melody driven and the other steady-paced and rhythm driven. I thought both of you did the music great justice with your arranging choices and playing, but not so much with the quality of your recordings, so I can’t determine as much about tone and harmonic balance from #26 as from #1. (Carlos everything you play is beautiful as regards the latter. I agree with the person that remarked on the seamlessness of your embellishment of the short piece written by the composer in the 1500’s, although you still managed to make it sound very modern, even New Age-y.) I know I’ll be returning to both your names on the index next time I’m in a mood to reflect on either of these styles so finely rendered by each of you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Monika K: you play very nicely. You seem very relaxed while your playing. I was wondering if you sit lower then average at
the keyboard?

cgyan: Wow. I have no words. Simply captivating.

jazztpt: catchy smile

inlanding: The second one made me smile (I liked the first one too) when you hit those high notes. Something suprisingly
joyful in a soulful tune.

Andy Platt:
I could just imagine a bunch of guys in powdered wigs and women in huge dresses dancing all fancy to this. LOL Well done.

Casinitaly: I like the pictures in your video. And you made the second part sound exactly like a music box! smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 - Just awesome - I hope to play half this well someday. smile

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You - Lib-er-a-whom? I only know L. from my dad's official fakebook from ages ago. Unfortunately he hasn't played for 30 or so years. frown (still working on that)

But this is a gorgeous piece, and one I hope is in my Alfred's American compilation that I bought for myself and turned over to my family to give me at Christmas.

If it's not there, I know where to go to get the skinny on this piece. You played this remarkably well, and I hope one day to do this justice like you did. Thanks for introducing me to this! smile

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 - what a fun romp for a dad and daughter - well done!

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 - As a piano rookie, I can't offer any advice for improvement. Instead, I can just sit back and listen in awe and marvel at your ability on the piano.

Really well done - hoping for more of these performances!

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) - Sam, just wonderful

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
D
D

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 - what a fun romp for a dad and daughter - well done!

I think you have a different definition of 'romp' than I do! Whilst I enjoy a good romp as much as the next guy, I do not condone anyone having a romp with their own daughter!!

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DadAgain

I think you have a different definition of 'romp' than I do! Whilst I enjoy a good romp as much as the next guy, I do not condone anyone having a romp with their own daughter!!

I think in North America the first thing that comes to mind is boisterous playing - nothing with any inuendo whatsoever. Whereas in the UK ...and obviously in Australia the first interpretation that comes to mind is for more mature audiences. Who was it said "two nations divided by one language?" smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My first 10 (couldn't get to listen to any last week so a wonderful start to my Thanksgiving week instead):

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover I was intrigued what an "Original extended cover could be! It makes sense - you definitely haven't ruined anything. Amazing that something that has it's roots over 500 years ago could sound so fresh. You gave it a wonderful dreamy feel ... it could go on forever.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Completely amazing for someone who's played for so little time. You really bring out the atmosphere and there is some nice phrasing.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) I'm working on one of the inventions myself (D minor, a little easier than the C major luckily). They are fabulous pieces, full of places to trip us up! Very nicely played, with good interplay between the voices. My teacher has had me working on quite different dynamics for the subject and counter subject which works well. You could try that too.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
Quite incredible! You have obviously put so much work into this I'm just blown away. The runs are just amazing. Great stuff. Now do it in less than one minute wink

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses A beautiful way to introduce Couperin! This piece flows so beautifully, the pedaling is just great. You have a very nice touch with the phrasing and the melody line is brought out very nicely.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78 A lovely soothing piece, definitely bringing a little bit of summer warmth into this Fall recital. Greawt job.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 This is a very beautiful piece, touchingly played. Arpeggios - who cares when you can play it so finely? This is a great find!

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) I love Bach when it's played this well. You picked a great tempo and keep the music flowing forward. I love the balance of the subject and counter-subject. The ornamentation is nicely played and unobtrusive. The two you chose go very well together.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge Better to write a beautiful piece about the wrong bridge than buy the wrong bridge I think! Anyway, this is simply a wonderful performance, I feel the river flowing through it. Some very nice touches and beautiful phrasing.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 One of my previous submissions! You take it a lot faster than I did. I just didn't have the technique to do better. But you keep the melody present in the flow of notes and nothing sounds rushed. This is a wonderful performance!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover
I like the energy you brought to this piece. Very precise left hand accompaniment – cool ending.

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2
I think you are too hard on yourself – this is very well played. You got the dynamics just right. A lovely, delicate performance.

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral (to do)
I was getting quite a bit of distortion on the YouTube video but happily, not on the audio download file. A nice job on this short but very interesting piece.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission