2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 28th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #28 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Zip 1
Zip 2
Zip 3
Zip 4
Zip 5
Zip 6
Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:Almost 3 years (self-learning since Dec2009)
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover
Composer:Unknown composer. Transcribed by Ludovico Einaudi. Re-arranged, covered and extended by CarlosCC
Duration:03:54
Source of music:Original piece (first 00:48 seconds) from "The Best of Ludovico Einaudi" book. The rest is from my mind/ear/memory... no physical source.
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 2)
Recording method:Captured from Piano to PC with Audicity. Then saved to MP3.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I decided to send an "original extended cover" of an ancient piece: Canzone Popolare - "popular song", in english -. The original version of Canzone Popolare caught the attention of my daughter, so she asked me to play it. The piece is very small (only 16 bars / less than a minute long), therefore, and at the end, I started playing around with its simple melody until I get the piece that I'm sending now.

The first 48 seconds are exactly what Ludovico Einaudi transcribed (the original composer is unknown), I mean, the original piece ends at the second 00:48. The rest - the extension - is my own arrangement and authoring, result of some inspiration of the original tune. This is the first time I'm sending a kind of original piece to PW Recital, and I have to warn that I have not had any concern with composition rules, music theory or something more rigorous. I was just playing freely, moving forward, and having fun.

I hope I have not ruined a melody with +500 years...

Historical context:
Canzone Popolare (Francia, 1500 ca.) is a composition for solist pianoforte with a duration less than a minute, whose author is unknown. It was composed, like the title states, in 1500 ac in France during the era of the Renaissance, and it's quite captivating and very simple at the execution level. It is written in the key of G major and is a very expressive, melodic and "cantabile" piece.
This piece was recovered by Ludovico Einaudi on his 1996 album,"Le Onde" (source: wikipedia).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:jaredm2012 Jared Miller
Experience:5 months
Title of piece:To Zanarkand
Composer:Nobuo Uematsu
Duration:03:02
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Roland KR-7
Recording method:Audacity via Samson Go Mic portable USB microphone
Additional info:I have loved this piece for ages. It plays at the opening screen for Final Fantasy X; I remember just sitting there listening to it for several minutes before I actually started the game! I always wanted to learn to play it, but never got around to it and never had a piano. So, finally, this past summer I decided to start seriously learning piano. My roommate has a nice digital piano, and I had a lot of free time. This was the first full piece of music I learned outside of Alfred books. I still play this at least a few times a week! I learned this piece in June/July before I got a teacher this past August. This recording has a few blips in it, but otherwise I am pleased with it and hope you all enjoy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:cebukid
Experience:Lessons: 1979-1982
Adult Career: 2008-present
Video link:http://youtu.be/ulHVagCLHIM
Title of piece:Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:29
Instrument used:Yamaha T118
Recording method:JVC Everio Camcorder, used software to convert to MP3
Additional info:What was meant to be a "dry run" with the red dot, turned into my submission. Despite the noise, I was able to get through the piece. Most importantly, I nailed all my trills (I usually miss a few), and dynamics came out the way I wanted. Anyway, I'm not sure if I played this right, but it's the way I interpreted it. These inventions are very challenging (tricky hard), but a lot of fun. I plan to do more. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40 years with a few years of lessons
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SajS2cQahs&list=UUfm6_6G1n0SmMfPJ3ojblZg&index=1&feature=plcp
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
Composer:Original
Duration:09:54
Instrument used:Young Chang Pramberger grand
Recording method:metro
Additional info:This is Part Two to my nighttime epic "A Message from Space". I've been working about 6 months on it. The vision I had, and I thought quite a bit about this while playing, is being out in a field just before dawn and looking up at the stars. Bit by bit the sky begins to lighten until finally the full sun has risen. For this to really work I'd have to play for about an hour and a half.... so I opted out and cut it down to ten minutes. That still breaks my rule of keeping it short and sweet so I certainly understand if some don't have the patience to listen to the whole thing. I hope that those that listen have a chance to watch the video. I had really planned on making this a music/video experience with film clips of woods and stars but the result didn't work for me so I ended up simplifying and once again using the inside of my piano to visualize the music ideas.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Les Baricades Misterieuses
Composer:Couperin, Francois
Duration:02:57
Source of music:sheet music, played from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:This is a lovely piece in a rondeau form with three couplets. IMHO Couperin clearly invites for tempo changes, using fermata signs in the score. The last couplet has two very long phrases but I tried to subdivide it into shorter phrases, as I think that better suits the music of that time and also because I don't like too long phrases. This is originally a piece for harpsichord, published in 1717, I guess on harpsichord it also sounds good if played a bit faster.
To my amazement there is not a single piece of Couperin in the recital index! I am happy that I can now fill this gap in our music and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
According to wikipedia it shows typical use of style brise, also called style luthe as it was a lute technique: alternatingly you hear melody notes and chord notes. I'm not so convinced of this, in my ears we have much more counterpoint here than a simple style brise.
The word "baricades" (barricades) has given rise to numerous theories about what these mysterious barriers are: Masks , freemasonry, the luthe style being a barricade for proper harmony, the piece ignoring the bar lines that act as barricades, life and death, communication problems, present and future, and even the lady's eye lashes. It seems none of these are really believeable.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Amaruk
Experience:No clue...
Video link:http://youtu.be/LKYBMUop1Yk
Title of piece:Summer '78
Composer:Yann Tiersen
Duration:02:43
Source of music:Yann Tiersen's sheet music collection for the "Good Bye Lenin!" soundtrack
Instrument used:Roland RD-700NX digital piano (Concert Grand sound)
Recording method:Direct to USB stick on the piano
Additional info:Summer '78 is very fun to play and my left hand fingers get a great workout. The video is my first video in which I worked with three cameras (different angles) at the same time.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:6 years 9 months since starting again. Lots as a kid.
Title of piece:Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
Composer:Viktor Kosenko
Duration:02:13
Source of music:Rare sheet music from pianophilia.
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No edits.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Ukrainian late-Romantic Viktor Kosenko (1896-1938) wrote the Consolation Op.9 No.1 in 1921. This lovely little piece is not quite two pages long. It's very soothing to listen to and to play, unless, like me you're recording it and worried about the four big arpeggios at the end. Hope you like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greener / Jeff Green
Experience:Sporadically for 40 years or so, with a more concerted effort and disciplined approach in last (roughly) 2 years.
Title of piece:Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:04:43
Source of music:Sheet Music; Compliments of Binary Study Thread. Special acknowledgement and thanks to Richard (zrtf90,) for introducing me to these works and also providing much needed advice on practice approach and discipline.
Instrument used:Samick SU-105 40" Console
Recording method:ADK A-51 Type III large condenser mic, AT8010 small condenser mic, m-audio (pre-amp), Audacity.
Additional info:The Six Little Preludes (BWV 933-938) are a group of preludes written by the composer Johann Sebastian Bach for harpsichord. They are all short, pedagogical efforts written in or around the period of 1717-1720, but they were not published until 1802.

Little Prelude in C minor, BWV 934
This C minor effort is similar to a minuet, but it is a bit more complex than it sounds. It features a lively theme whose accompanying leaps and long-breathed, angular manner impart a delightful sense of colour through the adventurous twists and turns.

Little Prelude in D major, BWV 936
This Prelude has features associated with a trio sonata: it contains two upper lines and a roving bass part underpinning them. The work opens with a lively theme. It is played through twice, then varied on its third appearance, showing much development.

Caution: Please be careful of volume; This comes across quite strong on my system and requires scaling back to 60-70%

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Chelsea Bridge
Composer:Billy Strayhorn
Duration:03:57
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:Billy Strayhorn, a self-effacing musical genius who composed, arranged, and played the piano and organ for the Duke Ellington orchestra, wrote this piece in a frenzy of creativity in 1941. It has been described as "...more Debussy than Ellington...an impressionistic miniature composed ... with a painting by James McNeill Whistler in mind. Unlike conventional tune-based pop and jazz numbers of the day,..Chelsea Bridge is classical in its integration of melody and harmony as an organic whole."

As it turns out, the painting was of a different bridge, but no matter.

To me, the song has a contemplative feel, with rich harmonies and a relaxed tempo.

This is my arrangement, playing from a lead sheet.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:timmyab
Experience:20 years (sigh)
Title of piece:Arabesque no 1
Composer:Debussy
Duration:04:02
Source of music:50 greats for the piano (Yamaha)
Instrument used:Yamaha YDP S30
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:I've been doodling with this piece ever since I bought my piano four years ago.I made a recording about a month ago, but it sounded too stiff so I've made an effort to relax a bit with this one.I prefer it like this although it still sounds a bit tense here and there.
Thanks to anyone who listens and comments.Feel free to criticize.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:7
Title of piece:Nothing Else Matters-original cover
Composer:Metallica originally, re-arranged and 'covered' by me
Duration:03:50
Source of music:Played by ear/noodle method.
Instrument used:This time, I am using my Roland KR-7 digital piano.
Recording method:Digital piano to Zoom H2 using line level input.
Additional info:I enjoyed learning and performing this piece almost more than any other piece before since there has always been something about this piece that gave me conflict. I know this has always been a rock/"ballad", but I've always 'heard' the 'rock' part of it when I listen to it which (for me) was overpowering the softer ballad side of it.

My goal was to capture more of the beautiful melodies that were in this piece and try and focus them melodically. This was a bit tough to do when it came to 'filling out' the piece several instruments (including vocals and symphonic background) were replaced with only a solo piano.

I gave it my best shot for my abilities at this time and this piece is what came out. I hope you enjoy it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jake S
Experience:10 months
Title of piece:Prelude no.4 in E minor
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:11
Source of music:Sheet music (memorised)
Instrument used:Kawai CA93 Digital Piano
Recording method:Digital piano
Additional info:Chopin composed a series of 24 short preludes- one in each of the major and minor keys. Whereas Bach also wrote the Well Tempered Clavier as a set of 24 pieces in every key, Chopin abandoned the traditional prelude-fugue structure and simply presented the preludes without accompanying fugues.

One of the more commonly played (and easier!) Chopin preludes, No. 4 has more than a hint of sadness, and was played at Chopin's funeral.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Wj3 / Walt
Experience:About Six years now
Title of piece:Bethena
Composer:Scott Joplin
Duration:03:24
Source of music:Alfred - Simply Joplin - Easy Piano. Arranged by Mary Sallee
Instrument used:1906 Clarendon Upright
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:This is a simplified version of Scott Joplin's classic concert waltz. The arrangement by Mary Sallee has been simplified left hand chord progressions and shorted by leaving out a section. The piece isn't all that easy I will now go on and learn the original.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ladypayne
Experience:Lost track
Title of piece:Early Winter
Composer:myself
Duration:02:39
Instrument used:piano
Recording method:zoom h1 plus digital camera, and magix music maker to do the finishing touches
Additional info:The recital came up way too fast.. I actually wanted to put up another piece that I've been working on but it's not ready so this one will have to do =)I decided to call it Early Winter mainly because up here in Alaska.. already snow on the ground.. ponds are all frozen.. tssk.. so there Early Winter lol :)I actually got one of sections in this song from a prelude in the Alfred series..(might be fun to try and guess which prelude and which section) I just found it so pretty so had to add it in my song. I improvised a little on it. I took a short section from a classical piece..Mozart I think but can't remember..for the beginning, and well that's where some of it came from. The rest of it.. I am not sure =)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:4.5 years
Title of piece:Sandy
Composer:Original
Duration:03:20
Source of music:Self Composition
Instrument used:Essex Upright
Recording method:Kodak PlaySport (I lost my Flip :(). I extracted the audio using Audacity
Additional info:I didn't know what to name this piece. But I recorded it during my day off during the storm Sandy. It was raining heavily outside. I thought it was cool to name the piece after the storm.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BenPiano
Experience:3.5
Video link:http://youtu.be/9XqwunSG_6U
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
Title of piece:Poem
Composer:Fibich
Duration:01:25
Source of music:The Library of Piano Classics (AMSCO)
Instrument used:Kawai K5
Recording method:Zoom H1 for audio
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:A neat little piece from a book I bought myself for Christmas last year (that my wife and kids wrapped and gave to me).

I have in my head while playing what sort of story this piece is trying to tell. I'll keep that story to myself so I won't color your interpretation as you listen.

This wasn't difficult to learn at all. I think this is a great "in-betweener" piece for those looking for material that isn't too hard or too easy.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:8.5 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/CQlQmLgA7fo
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/pianomonica
Title of piece:Opening
Composer:Philip Glass
Duration:06:15
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Zoom H4, normalized in audacity
Additional info:The structure of this mesmerizing piece is sheer elegant simplicity. There are three main themes, and the set of three themes is repeated three times. Each theme consists entirely of three voices: whole notes and eighth notes played with the left hand, and right hand triplets. The entire piece is thus one long paean to the 3-against-2 polyrhythm. When played by the proper hands (= not mine), there is a delicacy reminiscent of a crystal chandelier or wind chimes.

Lunch was leftover white bean and hominy chili.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:cgyan / Iain
Experience:Nearly three years
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/cgyan1
Title of piece:Morning Light
Composer:Jon Schmidt
Duration:04:48
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Recorded in Garageband, Yamaha YDP 141 piano, additional sounds from Garageband's libraries.
Recording method:Midi recording using a Midi-to-USB cable connecting the piano to the computer which captured the recording in Garageband.
Additional info:I've always liked music that paints a really vivid picture and progressively tells a story. Jon Schmidt really has a gift for creating the musical equivalent of a still image or short scene. This piece charts the beginning of a new day starting with the quiet moments beforehand, moving on to the first streaks of light appearing and culminating with the actual daybreak. The extra things you hear adds to the effect and helps paint this particular picture.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazztpt (Russ)
Experience:37
Title of piece:You See
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:03:16
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Roland HP507
Recording method:Recorded on the Roland and converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:A tune I wrote some years ago but with a completely new arrangement for the recital. This was the second take, my fingers ran out of steam a bit in the middle but overall I doubt I could get through it any better, especially with the recorder running.
There is some improvisation but about 90% is pre arranged.
This is my 5th recital and the first recorded on my new Roland HP507,which I have fallen in love with, it's just a dream to play.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission