2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1985792 11/12/12 05:48 PM
frog97 Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone walked into a piano store for this first time carrying Piano buyer or anything from Larry Fine etc.
What was the reaction, did it help to negotiate?
Any interesting conversations?
Regards,

I did when I was looking at Bostons and Kawais, and the people who were trying to tell me that Boston's were more like Steinways than Kawais quality-wise (even when I told them I thought both Bostons and Kawais were terrific) were dismissive of Larry. They also didn't like the way their Essex and Christifori lines were dissed by Larry. Other dealers were happy I was taking time to educate myself. Best wishes on your search, and by all means, take your time.

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
B
B
I once mentioned the Piano Buyer publication at my local Yamaha dealer.
The sales person laughed and said, "That's written by a piano technician.
What does he know. "

The only thing preventing me from owning a Steinway & Sons produced piano, is Steinway & Sons Customer Service. They should work on that.

Fortunately the piano I want the most is sold by Steinway & Sons!
Unfortunately the piano I want the most is only sold by Steinway & Sons.
S
S
I based my offer to the dealer on Larry's SMP minus an additional 15% (as a starting point) which ended up upsetting him somewhat. Apparently it was a low offer based on market conditions but we got past it and worked out a deal. Its definitely a tool in your toolbox, despite what your dealer may think.

Hailun 178
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
We prominantly display and often lend out copies of Piano Buyer.

Our website states on several pages that we adhere the the price ranges denoted in Piano Buyer.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
A very important piano dealer in our area has a copy prominently displayed and allows all who visit the store to look at it. I don't think it hurts his bottom line at all. He carries Bechsteins, Bosendoerfers, Faziolis, Mason-Hamlins, Schimmels, Estonias, and even rebuilt and used Steinways and other top brands. When shopping, I have never brought a copy with me, but I have read and re-read it many times and learned a lot. It certainly didn't hurt when I was shopping for my piano.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
We also display and make copies of Piano Buyer available to our customers, and have since the very first Piano Book came out in 1989 (??).

Independent information is never a bad thing when making a decision on something as important as a piano.

Originally Posted by bbuckis
What does he know. "

First, the book is not, and never has been, written in a vacuum. This is not just Mr. Fine's personal opinion (unless he states that particular observation is, in fact, his personal opinion).

I would be more inclined to say, "He is a salesperson. What does HE know?" smile

*(No offense meant to the many well informed and well educated salespeople here on this forum)

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Do any piano stores offer "A&D Piano Buyer" or "The Piano Book" for sale in the store? Having the books available for purchase could be very helpful to those who are in the market for a piano or a digital.

After all, not all shoppers visit Piano World before shopping and have the opportunity to learn that the books are even available.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Do any piano stores offer "A&D Piano Buyer" or "The Piano Book" for sale in the store? Having the books available for purchase could be very helpful to those who are in the market for a piano or a digital.

After all, not all shoppers visit Piano World before shopping and have the opportunity to learn that the books are even available.

Since Piano Buyer is available free online, very few dealers stock it for sale. The Piano Book, while still available, much of its content is rather dated.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Steve,

I agree with what you say, however, how do shoppers learn about the books or the fact that they are available online? PB certainly doesn't have the same visibility as "Consumer Reports." I don't think that I'm alone in preferring a printed volume for self-education and research before making a major purchase.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
S
Steve,

I agree with what you say, however, how do shoppers learn about the books or the fact that they are available online? PB certainly doesn't have the same visibility as "Consumer Reports." I don't think that I'm alone in preferring a printed volume for self-education and research before making a major purchase.

Even though I have no financial interest, far be it from me to discourage anyone from ordering the print edition (at www.pianobuyer.com). wink

Most shoppers find out about PianoBuyer through organic search results from the major search engines, or right here on the Piano Forum. It is also recommended on the website of many technicians (including the PTG), dealers and teachers.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
The Piano Book, while still available, much of its content is rather dated.

It isn't outdated for those shopping the used market.

Like all good books, Piano Buyer is highly informative but can also sometimes transpire to confuse.

All the books in the world don't replace the discovery of a product's innate nature such as a musical instrument.

It is something shoppers for such item will have to discover themselves just as most shoppers in Europe and other countries have always done.

A 'book' also doesn't take into consideration professional ethics of local brand representation, the companies behind it.

Nor does it things like the quality of the business one happens to be dealing with.

These intangibles are sometimes as much or even more important the the product itself.

The problem is that many buyers often don't play themselves and have a reluctance to make decisions for themselves.

Instead they rely on certain others, be this a teacher, a friend, neighbor or "book".

In this regard Piano Buyer is certainly a valuable resource but IMHO it is as easy making a "mistake" or at least not "the optimal purchase" - than without it.

It is often the irony of arming oneself with all kinds of knowledge - especially concerning such things as musical instruments - that in the end 'decisions' are and remain a largely personal thing.

Not really totally different from many other big ticket shopping items in life.

Just seemingly a bit more difficult perhaps...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 11/13/12 07:27 PM.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Norbert
A 'book' also doesn't take into consideration professional ethics of local brand representation, the companies behind it or things like the quality of business one happens to be dealing with.
Of course it doesn't. That has nothing to do with the purpose of the book.

The problem is that many buyers often don't play themselves and have a reluctance to make decision for themselves. Instead they rely on certain others, be this a teacher, a friend, neighbor or "book".
Which is a 100% reasonable thing to do. And reasonable people will continue doing it.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/13/12 07:30 PM.

Exactly.

A buyer's concern goes beyond that - it concerns "real life" situations.

Which is a 100% reasonable thing to do. And reasonable people will continue doing it.

It may be *reasonable* but not necessary fruitful or productive.

5 different opinions don't exactly make achieving one's own any easier.

My basic point is anybody can buy whatever they like or is recommended by whatever source.

For those who don't play or are not personally tuned into tone and touch of an instrument, none of it makes much difference.

For those who "do" - it's just about everything.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 11/13/12 08:12 PM.

Originally Posted by bbuckis
What does he know. "

ha

Among other things about that, Larry is actually a fine pianist.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member

Ah, perhaps not.

But nearly six million of them did last year (and that's unique visitors, not "hits" or "page views").
I don't know too many print publications that can claim six million readers :-)

In fact I don't know too many (or any other) online piano sites that can legitimately claim anywhere near as many visitors.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just pretty proud of what PW has become.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
As well you should be, Frank!

Thanks for all you do for this wonderful community.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Online Content

Exactly.

A buyer's concern goes beyond that - it concerns "real life" situations.
Your original post made it sound like not including a discussion of the quality of the dealer was something missing from the book and this is not the case.

It may be *reasonable* but not necessary fruitful or productive. 5 different opinions don't exactly make achieving one's own any easier.For those who don't play or are not personally tuned into tone and touch of an instrument, none of it makes much difference.
No approach is guaranteed to be fruitful.

Those who don't play or play only a little or who are not extremely familiar with the different possibilities of tone/touch still want to make an informed decision. They do not want to be dissatisfied later on when they may become more able to evaluate tone and touch. That's why they often ask for help at Piano World or consult the Piano Buyer or those who they think are knowledgeable. The PB in particular offer a degree of objectivity very hard to find in a showroom.

It's absolutely reasonable to do this and it is, in fact, a very good idea to proceed this way.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
One of the OP's questions was:

did it help to negotiate?

Before you start you need to know what you want to negotiate.

If it simply means price negotiation (in the U.S.) the book will certainly help as it gives a good initial orientation into the piano market and the pricing structure (or rather the lack of it).

However this is far from what is 'pinao buying' about.

The book will not elp you acquiring or negotiating the paino that is best for you because theis book or any other written or electronic resource lacks indeed:

A 'book' also doesn't take into consideration professional ethics of local brand representation, the companies behind it.

Nor does it things like the quality of the business one happens to be dealing with.

And
These intangibles are sometimes as much or even more important the the product itself.
, yes indeed.

It has been quite a while I posted my adagio here on this forum:

'the biggest challenge in the whole buying process is putting toghether a shortlist of brands and dealers you would like to do business with because of whet they stand for'

E.g. there are a few brands I would not buy because of the questionable ethics and there are dealer I would never buy from whatever brand they might represent.

Should there ever be a publication that
a discussion of the quality of the dealer
I would be the first one to buy a copy. However I am afraid there will never be such a resource of information.
Yhis is something you will have to find out for yourself - unfortunately sometimes experience yourself.

schwammerl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission