2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I do not agree with the reluctance to play apiece again for the group! Have you not noticed that at these Adult Amateur Competitions some people play some of the same repertoire year after year. That is fine, a piece of substance grows and matures. One can constantly find ways to improve and I think that musicians appreciate seeing the improvement in a challenging work. I would much rather play for people that are knowledgable rather than those that don't know what is going on and think everything is wonderful!

Last edited by musica71; 07/11/12 11:16 PM.

Musica 71
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD

I do wonder, though, about the goals of those adults who take lessons and who practice diligently but who don't aspire to perform even for close friends or relatives. Would an amateur painter study painting without ever showing the result? Would a budding writer never let anyone read what was written? Yes, there must be some sense of accomplishment for mastering repertoire in private, but those who refuse to perform must surely be missing out on the greatest accomplishment in music: sharing with others.

You have been around here long enough to have read the various threads talking about this kind of thing, and you must know there are those of who simply loathe performing live, for various and sometimes complex reasons.

So I'll throw it back and ask you why you would assume that anyone would want to perform? I think playing classical music is a perfectly self-contained activity myself, something like the way that reading good literature or poetry can be. There is nothing about it that would dictate a need to perform it for others, as far as I can tell.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano Again
I don't know exactly how you persuade people that if they persist, though it's never exactly easy, it will get easier.

Unless it doesn't. For some of us, it gets worse. Or gets totally unpredictable, which can be equally awful.

I grew up playing in front of people, so if the "it gets easier" theory were a sound one, as an old geezer, I should about as at ease as one can get. Instead, performing was such a traumatic experience, I eventually stopped playing in front of people entirely. At most, I record myself and take part in e-citals here (and usually berate myself a lot about even that). Who knows, things may still change, but that's where I am now.

It's interesting that even someone as experienced and admired and capable as Argerich still hates being a solo performer, so much so that she almost never appears on stage alone.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by musica71
I do not agree with the reluctance to play apiece again for the group! Have you not noticed that at these Adult Amateur Competitions some people play some of the same repertoire year after year. That is fine, a piece of substance grows and matures. One can constantly find ways to improve and I think that musicians appreciate seeing the improvement in a challenging work. I would much rather play for people that are knowledgable rather than those that don't know what is going on and think everything is wonderful!

I agree with you. Even though we play the same pieces over and over again, we most likely improve the quality of the playing. Keep changing the pieces is good for those who are capable of doing so, but not good for many people.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I do think adults have unreasonably high expectations. They are measuring their performances against professional ones. What really happens is that improvements tend to be incremental, but because the whole thing doesn't measure up to some mental image of perfection they discount those improvements. And then each piece has its own challenges that may be different from those of other pieces, so you might play something that turns out pretty well, but then another piece will not.

The fear is always there, but over time you can learn to trust yourself more and deal with it better. And yeah, maybe it's not worth it to everyone. It is to me, and if I were a teacher I would strongly encourage my students to keep trying. The musical experience is not complete without performing.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Piano Again
I do think adults have unreasonably high expectations. They are measuring their performances against professional ones. What really happens is that improvements tend to be incremental, but because the whole thing doesn't measure up to some mental image of perfection they discount those improvements. And then each piece has its own challenges that may be different from those of other pieces, so you might play something that turns out pretty well, but then another piece will not.

The fear is always there, but over time you can learn to trust yourself more and deal with it better. And yeah, maybe it's not worth it to everyone. It is to me, and if I were a teacher I would strongly encourage my students to keep trying. The musical experience is not complete without performing.

Personally, I'd say the musical experience is not complete if you're not enjoying yourself. Music isn't meant to be an ordeal, it's meant to be enjoyed, and for self-fulfilment, to enrich one's soul. If someone is too shy to perform in public, why subject themselves to it? The same applies to public speaking - would anyone who is shy (and in his right mind) offer themselves up to speak at a wedding reception in front of an audience, like a lamb to the slaughter?

Let's not forget what Western 'classical music' was originally intended for (and it wasn't public performance.....).

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ronald, Of course you would be doing other pieces as well..but to keep some in the repertoire is good. I taught piano for 42 years and had one girl who locked herself in the bathroom the day of a recital. Good Grief, if one feels that way forget it. (She did play very well too). I guess it just comes down to personalities.

Some people love to be in (or tolerate) the spotlight, others shrivel at the thought. It can be a big achievement to conquer the fear and just do it! Obviously those of us who enter the Competitions are getting some satisfaction from the whole thing. For me the preparation, meeting people, euphoria when it goes reasonably well is worth it.

Musica 71
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To the OP A. Rebours,

I would encourage you not to give up, but maybe lower your sights a bit. I was able to get a small (5 total) group of adult students together at my house by calling it a "recital practice." We held it two weeks before my teacher's annual recital (all were her students, but no reason that would have to be true). Sending invites out got no response. I got names and phone numbers from the teacher and called them with a personal invitation...very low key, just thought you might be interested, etc.. We met at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. Five students and three spouse/others. Drinks of choice, munchies, and conversation came first...then whoever wanted to play their piece. No one was more than intermediate level and no one had much recital experience. We had a blast and by the end people were calling out "I'm next" to get another shot at the bench.

If I were you I would....

Start with the idea of meeting just once (not forming a group that someone has to "join") because you thought it would be nice to "know some other people that play the piano"

Starting with one or two others would be fine, maybe keying off your teacher's recital date. Invite the spouses/significant others if they would care to come along.

Keep it fun. Serve alcohol or have it available...it may not be good for the piano playing (not with me, anyway) but it is still the best social lubricant around.

If your group is anything like mine they will be asking you when is the next get-together by the time they are going out the door.

good luck,

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I started off with a small group of local pianists at my house in London. It quickly grew big enough to be able to hold it at various venues in London including Steinway Hall. We set up a blog and word spread quickly! We meet about 3 - 4 times a year.

Amateur Piano Group in London
http://www.meetup.com/LondonPMG/
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I would love to be in a group of local adult amateurs at all levels who would play for each other! I tried several times to scrape up interest in my neighborhood and failed.

But I'm willing to try again! If anyone is in the Sunnyvale, CA area, send me a private message on piano world.

I've had small recitals in my home that went well, for example:

[video:youtube]VohO5LTapIw[/video]

(This is NOT me playing!)

Last edited by Thrill Science; 08/29/12 11:58 AM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is like pulling teeth to gather adults.
I have done this for 2 years, do not enjoy at all the process of rounding up the adults.
But once we are together, it is always enjoyable.
Most of the time, only the same people came, and the same people who always made excuses not to come.
I invited them for 3 quarters, if they did not show up, I just dropped them.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Thrill Science,

I'm nowhere near Sunnyvale, but happen to notice you're set up not to receive PM's, so you may not hear from neighbors.

1989 Baldwin R
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jdw
Thrill Science,

I'm nowhere near Sunnyvale, but happen to notice you're set up not to receive PM's, so you may not hear from neighbors.

Thanks! *That's* why I never hear from anyone!

(Now it's time to turn off the computer and practice.)

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
M
M
I held a piano salon in my home for the people I work with who play piano. It was easy to organize since we all work together and have an electronic announcement board. It was a lot of fun. I was by far the least experienced person there (I've only been playing a year), but everyone was very encouraging. One participant went on to win an adult amateur competition with her piece.

I am waiting for someone else to host the next one because I only have a digital piano, so it really wasn't good enough for the more experienced players.

Last edited by MaryAnn; 08/30/12 04:18 AM.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Thrill Science, I don't live in Sunny Vale but my girl friend (DMA in Piano Performance) does. Would love to connect with you when I go up there. I am encouraging her to set up annual Piano master class for adults.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Who was it who was nearby me in Sunnyvale, CA? We're having a small in-home recital this Sunday and I forgot who it was who messaged me!

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
I thought that PW had links listed by city for the purposes of forming piano groups...

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I haven't read this whole thread, but it's a lot more fun if you make it poluck and BYO...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission