2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
John Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
@PV88 - Thanks for the suggestions! I will look more into that DP. I like he stand too, looks very sturdy, which is something I am also looking for. I don't want to have the keyboard move around on me if I start rocking out on it, lol. Thanks again!

@Mark - I'll keep the YDP-161 in consideration. I just need to try out other boards. The Yamaha seems very bright to me and the action seems almost too stiff. That could be a good thing though. Maybe I'm just not used to the feel. The Yamahas sound good too! Don't get me wrong. I just feel it's too much on the bright side, I think I want a warmer tone. Only time will tell and trying out other DP's.

Thanks everyone for the responses! Keep them coming! You guys are helping for sure.

I've heard A LOT of good things about the Kawai boards....I just don't know if there is anywhere near me to try one, I will look into that.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The Kawai to me sounds a kind of similar to the Yamaha, while the Roland has a much darker, warmer, not so bright sound. Some therefore say that the Roland would even sound muffled. I personally love the Roland sound. It is very pleasant to the ear and gives your music, well, a warm background. I doubt that it would come out clearly in the context of a blues, jazz or rock band, alongside of electric guitars and/or drums. It is just not as bright and therefore weak to cut through such noise. It could play nicely together with a violin, flute or vocals, though.
After it was suggested to you, what do you think about connecting a software piano to your future keyboard? Do you consider it for you to be feasable to have a PC close to your piano?

J
John Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the reply man!

I have considered that. I have a Mac and would love to record little pieces of music and/or hook up and use keyboard samples. With that being said, I don't really want to use a computer for my sounds, but more to just record.

I feel like this search will never end, and as soon as I find a DP I like I always seem to find one I want more, lol

I know have a few more pianos to add to my list..

Yamaha YDP-161
Roland F-120
Casio PX-850
Roland FP-4F
Kawai CL36

I've also been looking at non-cabinet options, but I'd really like the furniture on the piano, especially since I don't plan on moving this piano around.

I also can't try out any Kawai pianos...no dealers around my house...and as I said before I can't even test out half the pianos I want to...

Any other ideas guys? Thanks!

If under 1500$ I would recommend Kawai CN33 as well. And I am very happy owner of CL-36 :-) However, you should really try it before buy, pedals position may not suit you if you are taller person.

Last edited by jarosujo; 11/11/12 04:20 PM.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
J
John Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I keep hearing good things about Kawai pianos but I can't try them out anywhere..it sucks frown

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@John Jr,

If you are in the US (or, Canada) have you tried using Kawai's dealer locator page, here?

http://www.kawaius.com/locator2012.html

Or, call 1-800-421-2177
(ext 878 for assistance)

J
John Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
No, I didn't try that! I just looked and there is one locations about 6 miles from my house that I never even hear of before. I'll go check that place out...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
John Jr, that's great!

pv88, thank you for pointing out the Kawai US dealer locator.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@John Jr,

Glad that I could be of some help, and, do let us know what you find when you have had the chance to play a few pianos.

@James,

Yes, the Kawai "dealer locater" is a good tool as it makes it easy to find a local store.

J
John Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the replies and all the help! It's really helping me narrow down my search.

I don't know if any of you like or even have heard of Ben Folds...but I'm a fan of his and love the way his Baldwin sounds. I know I can't get an acoustic grand sound without buying one..but I want to get as close to this sound as possible..

http://youtu.be/5i76r0B3o1c

Any ideas on a DP that sounds similar to that?

Once again, I really only want a piano sound...don't need any effects, or horns, bells, guitars, organs, etc..

Thanks guys!!! Being a big help!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission