2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 264 of 425 1 2 262 263 264 265 266 424 425
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
farful originally posted his query here in the Piano Forum:

Chopin Op 10 No 1 original manuscript

There's a link in that thread to the source of the statement in question, a very interesting essay by Douglas Hofstadter called "Pattern, Poetry and Power in the Music of Frédéric Chopin" (of which I was heretofore unaware).

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ow... brain hurts... too much to read....

Here's even more: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...;sortby=1&x=0&y=0&prevpage=1

They wanted $118.00 for Ornamentation in the Works of Frederic Chopin. I found it at Amazon for $29.95. Like I need more books.

I was just looking through Chopin in His Own Land, and found that copy of 10/1. Perhaps it seemed logical to put the LH whole notes in the middle of the measure because the beginnings of the arpeggios take up the first part of the measure. It does look odd, though.

Elene

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Today is a special anniversary day for Poland: Œwiêto Niepodleg³oœci - the restoration of Poland's independence in 1918 after 123 years of partitions by Austro-Hungary, Prussia, and Russia.

Politically, Chopin wasn't born in Poland at all. It didn't exist except in hearts and minds.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"They wanted $118.00 for Ornamentation in the Works of Frederic Chopin. I found it at Amazon for $29.95."

I personally don't think thirty bucks is such a great deal for a used book. But, I found one marked at three times that on the shelf and asked the cashier if it had been mis-marked. "Oh, no," she assured me breathlessly, "We're going to sell it on the internet."

"To someone else," I replied.

"On abebooks.com," she added.

It happens abebooks is right down the road from me. "How do you like that place?" I asked. "Well, I did," she grumbled, "before Amazon bought them."

I think your post has cleared up a small mystery, Elene.

Clef

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mine was printed in 1921 and cost 2 shilling 6 pence back then. I got it for in the neighborhood of $5. Guess I lucked up.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, prices I saw for that book ranged from $27 to well over $100, even more than the $118, and a number were $50-$90. You can see how utterly arbitrary the prices are.

But we'll see how useful the book itself really is to me-- that will mean more than the price.

Elene

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The book starts out with a general discussion (with examples) of how to play Chopin's typical ornaments. Then it goes into ornamentation in specific pieces - it's not exhaustive - not the Eleanor Bailie of ornamenation but I've found the general section of mine to be at least $5 useful anyway. It's a pretty good little reference.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
These are USB digital players. You can get one stick for all Mazurkas, one stick for all Polonaises, one for all Etudes, etc.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And you all need to collect some of these too.
[Linked Image]

Where can you buy all those?!?! I want one of these noses... :P

BTW, anyone know where I could buy a Chopin bust to put on my piano? I can't seem to find one...

S
S

Last edited by steveMac; 11/08/09 02:28 AM.

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
steveMac - I don't think the plaster ones look anything like Chopin. They're closer to Liberace. But I agree the bronze one is quite nice.

LisztAddict - thanks so much for all the pictures. I'd never heard of USB musical sticks before! The zebra crossings are a terrific idea.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
The bronze bust in steveMac's link is strikingly similar to this one on eBay:

Bronze 16" Chopin Bust

I love the likeness, and bought one for myself from that very seller on eBay a few years ago.

Steven

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
LizstAddict: Now I am so sad. I had planned on going to Warsaw next year, but those plans fell through. Thank you for posting those wonderful photos of Warsaw. It is so inspiring to know that Chopin will be remembered, big time, there. Is he still considered a national hero there?

I have a wonderful bust of Chopin, in bronze. It is on a tall pedestal in the curve of my grand, and ever time I sit down to play, I rub his head for good luck. I would post a photo but still haven't figured out how to do it here. It used to be easy.

Garrick Ohlsson is going to appear with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in my area on June 9. He is going to play both concertos and various solo works. You can bet that I will be first in line when they start selling tickets.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Here is a site on youtube where Mr. Ohlsson talks about our hero. Hit the video tab.

http://www.ravinia.org/ViewDate.aspx?show=126

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 11/08/09 11:32 AM.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
It is so inspiring to know that Chopin will be remembered, big time, there. Is he still considered a national hero there?

I cannot imagine anything bigger than Chopin in Poland.

Other subject: For those that haven't seen my face next to the keyboard, here is my first youtube video: laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG3rtfHzG9c

The video is for a youtube contest which the winner gets free entry to the actual amateur competition in 2011. You can vote by signing up here:
http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=guestbook

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Garrick Ohlsson is going to appear with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in my area on June 9. He is going to play both concertos and various solo works. You can bet that I will be first in line when they start selling tickets."

Oh... nice, Kathleen! Maybe he'll bring the "show" here; he lives in the Bay Area. I wonder if the SFSO will allow the CSO to poach on its preserves. Maybe they'll prefer to keep him for themselves. Who knows how these things are worked out.

The book of essays on Chopin I've been reading has repeated some rather sharp criticisms (which I won't repeat) of his early works, harmonically and structurally. Ignorance is bliss sometimes, I guess--- I didn't know any better than to enjoy them anyway. It would not seem that it rained on his parade, to speak of. The article did go on to say that, even if the shortcomings are as stated, the earlier works are still worthwhile in their own right. That is fair enough.

I did like a comment from an early newspaper report from his first Vienna visit (in his Letters), which described him as "a virtuoso of independent powers" ("Seblst-kraftiger Virtuoz.") A pregnant phrase, if you'll forgive my omission of the diacritical marks.

Clef

J
J
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
The book of essays on Chopin I've been reading has repeated some rather sharp criticisms (which I won't repeat) of his early works, harmonically and structurally. Ignorance is bliss sometimes, I guess--- I didn't know any better than to enjoy them anyway. It would not seem that it rained on his parade, to speak of. The article did go on to say that, even if the shortcomings are as stated, the earlier works are still worthwhile in their own right. That is fair enough.

Fellow Jeff: Trust your ears. The early works are full of delights. I think the criticisms on structural grounds tend to misunderstand the significance and sense of "structure". There's a lot more to music.

I've recently been pondering - and enjoying - the first sonata (the C minor, op. 4). There are terrific pleasures there, especially (I find) in the 5/4 slow movement.

Jeff Kallberg

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff and Jeff: I like that first sonata, especially the mazurkoid minuet. Fortunately I'm not smart enough to understand how "bad" it is and how our boy had no understanding of how to write in sonata form, as some authors have said. I do think that the first movement is perhaps a little long. The slow movement is extremely interesting with all the (cruel!) cross-rhythms one must deal with.

Kathleen: I mentioned to my husband that you rub your Chopin bust's head for luck. He laughed and said, "They should make a Chia Pet of him." How about Chia Pets of all the major composers? After all, there is one of Barack Obama. Who did once wear a fluffy hairstyle, though, so he is perhaps a more appropriate subject.

(Anyone want to design an action figure?)

LA: I'm not sure if a Chia Pet would be any more extreme than the piles of buttons and the keyboard-painted street crossings. Boze moj, I just now noticed the NOSES!!! Thanks for the pictures and the video. I'll vote for you as soon as they let me; I signed up.

Poland: Don't you have any OTHER national heroes to make tourist products of? I know that sounds mean, but really, you're going to wear this one out pretty soon! It isn't even 2010 yet!

Elene

Page 264 of 425 1 2 262 263 264 265 266 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission