2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Icefox Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hi Guys,

I've been hunting a grand for my new house. After weeks of test playing I set my heart on Shigeru Kawai SK3 and Bechstein A190. To be honest I slightly prefer Shigeru which has a very pure and highly controllable sound (much more brilliant when played forte). Bechstein seems a bit too bright for my taste and also seems less variant when played piano vs forte, but it also has a pure sound which I like. (I like pure sound so I ruled out Mason and Steinway.) My wife says she likes Bechstein, but I feel she is also swayed a bit by the German name.

When I asked for "bottom line" quotes, I was offered $38.5k on Shigeru SK3 and $39.5k on Bechstein A190, including tax shipping etc. I think I should be able to get another 1-2k off. So what do you guys think of these prices? Any comments on these two pianos? Also can some one educate me about Bechstein Academy series -- are they as good as the C-series? Are they made in German or not?

Best regards,
Bin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Both pianos are fine, and the price difference seems minute.
Seems to me this is more a matter of getting what *you* like better vs. getting what *your wife* likes better. Different couples resolve this sort of issue differently. Good luck resolving this with your wife.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Icefox
Also can some one educate me about Bechstein Academy series -- are they as good as the C-series? Are they made in German or not?

Best regards,
Bin

I was told that anything that says "C. Bechstein" on it is a German model. If it only says "Bechstein" it's not German made.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hello Bin,
Welcome to Pianoworld!
I am no expert in either the Bechstein Academy series pianos or the Shigeru Kawai instruments, but as far as I know, Bechstein Academy pianos are outsourced and not made entirely in the C. Bechstein factory in Germany. I believe that they used to be assembled in Poland although now, that may have changed.

Shigeru Kawai are of the course the "crème de la crème" of Kawai production and just a small number are made each year. The Bechstein Academy pianos are a cheaper variant of the C. Bechstein instruments and are probably produced in greater numbers than Shigeru Kawai.

As you are the prospective purchaser, you should allow your mind and fingers to help you decide in playing both pianos. Choose the piano which you like the most, irrespective of brand name.
From your comments it seems that you have almost made your choice.

Good luck!

Robert.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ando
Also can some one educate me about Bechstein Academy series -- are they as good as the C-series? Are they made in German or not?

Best regards,
Bin

I was told that anything that says "C. Bechstein" on it is a German model. If it only says "Bechstein" it's not German made.

The Bechstein website says the Academy models are made in Germany. Maybe some of the parts come from elsewhere.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
I
Icefox Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Guys, thanks a lot for the inputs. How about price -- any idea where the "true" prices are? I hate the fact that piano prices are so not transparent, even more so than a car's price.

I appreciate the pure, natural, bright and mellow sound, compared Boston, Yamaha, Fazioli, etc., I really like the voice of the Shigeru Kawai SK-3. It is very close to the sound I select audio equipment standard, natural, without modification. If you like the sound of the SK-3, for me, in touch and quality control and cost-effective, there is no suspense. Therefore, I chose the Shigeru Kawai SK-3. The past 2 years, I am even more obsessed with my SK If some regret, I think I should buy SK-5. This is my personal feeling, for reference only.

Last edited by Lakeside; 11/15/12 01:37 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Kawai CA95(In Haikou City)
D
D
I don't know where you are but there is a lightly used 2000 SK-5 in Garden Grove, CA for $35.8.

I
Icefox Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by dsch
I don't know where you are but there is a lightly used 2000 SK-5 in Garden Grove, CA for $35.8.

Ha! I just saw it on eBay. Would you think I'm totally crazy if I am to buy that one (possibly without even looking at it) in CA and ship it to NC where I live? Also do you think $35.8 can be chopped down still by a few thousands?

P
P
Bin:

The price you were quoted is very good for a new SK3, its something to seriously consider. Is the SK3 you are looking at have the straight legs or the ice cream cone legs?

Schimmel C169 Kawai NV5S
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Guys, thanks a lot for the inputs. How about price -- any idea where the "true" prices are? I hate the fact that piano prices are so not transparent, even more so than a car's price.

Just check out PianoBuyer online. All the info you need on pricing is there.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
You seem to be pre-occupied with price.

You will have this instrument for the rest of your life. You have found pianos that you like, at reasonable prices, within your budget.

Focus on the instruments.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

"Pre-occupation with price" is often present when considering 2 similar quality pianos. [provided they "are"..]

Honesty about product and the representation of it is equally important.

This is of course for consumers to answer.

Good luck in making the choice!

Norbert

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
You seem to be pre-occupied with price.

You will have this instrument for the rest of your life. You have found pianos that you like, at reasonable prices, within your budget.

Focus on the instruments.

Ya, maybe, maybe not. I'm now on my 4th acoustic piano. One was a Shigeru and it was an amazing instrument for the most part. Suffice to say that I thought it would be my last purchase, but I bought too small, and have since bought a bigger piano.

All that being said, the new SK3s are great pianos, especially so after the MPA visit.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

S
S
Originally Posted by Axtremus
Both pianos are fine, and the price difference seems minute.
Seems to me this is more a matter of getting what *you* like better vs. getting what *your wife* likes better. Different couples resolve this sort of issue differently. Good luck resolving this with your wife.

It's better when there's only one pianist in a family. I am the player, he is the payer.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission