2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1984652 11/09/12 02:18 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
We've had discussions in the past about how to keep music club meetings interesting. And I have an idea to share with you.

Our local MTA had a "Fun Friday Forum" and invited teachers to bring favorite teaching materials, teaching aids, pedagogy books, new music etc for a sort of Show and Tell. And we also threw in a White Elephant gift exchange. Each person brought something from their studio or home that they wanted to give away.

We had 9 teachers attending which made for a nice group, and a couple have taught college pedagogy classes. This really was a nice bonding experience and led to interesting and useful conversations.

After today's meeting I went ahead and ordered Magrath's The Pianists Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature. Minniemay and others have mentioned it on PW. But seeing the book at the meeting (and 2 people I know recommending it) was the little bit more incentive I needed to go ahead and get it.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this post useful. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Good for you. It's about the best overall repertoire guide for teachers.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Good for you. It's about the best overall repertoire guide for teachers.

Thanks John. I look forward to reading through it. There is commentary that I think will be useful in addition to the guidance about levels.

The program really was enjoyable, and I'm relieved. Attendance was decent and we all had a nice time.

When the idea of a forum like this was planned, I thought we'd immediately lose attendance of all the professors. And sure enough right away 4 people let me know they couldn't be there. So I came up with the White Elephant idea to add some additional energy to the program.

I guessed a composer statuette would be re-gifted and I was right. laugh Yet several people got re-gifts they really wanted. I gave away a scented candle (I'm allergic) and "Lady Gaga Fugue" sheet music. The person who got them was happy about it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

After today's meeting I went ahead and ordered Magrath's The Pianists Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature. Minniemay and others have mentioned it on PW. But seeing the book at the meeting (and 2 people I know recommending it) was the little bit more incentive I needed to go ahead and get it.

Thanks for letting us know. I also just ordered this book, off the back of threads here. Hoping it will help me prepare for a teaching diploma.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
What the heck, I'm going to brag. I edited the copy of every last word in that fine guidebook by Jane Magrath. Alfred Publishers hired me as an outsider to do this for them, given my background in music journalism, and paid me handsomely.

Jane M was pleased, and my name is listed somewhere in the acknowledgements (though unfortunately not in boldface capitals on its own page, like my mom was hoping).

It's a handsomely produced book. Alfred did a lovely job on its design and production. Come to think of it, I should take a look at it again, for some teaching repertoire ideas.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Ann, your "Show-and-Tell" idea for a piano teacher group is terrific!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

Jane M was pleased, and my name is listed somewhere in the acknowledgements (though unfortunately not in boldface capitals on its own page, like my mom was hoping).

I'll be sure an highlight your name with my pen when it arrives. I have pink and yellow. Which do you prefer? wink

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
What the heck, I'm going to brag. I edited the copy of every last word in that fine guidebook by Jane Magrath. Alfred Publishers hired me as an outsider to do this for them, given my background in music journalism, and paid me handsomely.

It's a handsomely produced book. Alfred did a lovely job on its design and production. Come to think of it, I should take a look at it again, for some teaching repertoire ideas.

That's impressive! I'll look for your name when I receive the book.

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Ann, your "Show-and-Tell" idea for a piano teacher group is terrific!

Thanks Peter. Someone else came up with the Show and Tell idea. She wanted teachers to share their "favorite methods". I thought the program needed broader appeal, and I expanded the topic to include sharing pedagogy books, biography, new materials and even welcomed teachers to bring "an idea" to share. If they chose to bring an idea, I asked them to bring a symbol of the idea also (i.e. idea about tone color could be represented by a box of colored pencils). I wondered if people would think this was a bit odd. But mainly I wanted presentations to be intentional.

A few teachers suggested that we do this each year. So our club may have started a new tradition. smile

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
given my background in music journalism

I'm impressed by your journalism background. I continually read books about writing, yet have not written any journal entries, poems or books. No motivation for these, but still reading about writing. My solution is to view posting on PW and keeping a daily journal as creative writing.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 11/10/12 12:03 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Wow, Peter, excellent work! Page IX, 5th paragraph of the acknowledgements. Considering the work involved, your mom was correct. You should have been listed on the verso of the title page along with the cover designer, etc.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P

I expanded the topic to include sharing pedagogy books, biography, new materials and even welcomed teachers to bring "an idea" to share. If they chose to bring an idea, I asked them to bring a symbol of the idea also.

Ann, this is really wonderful! So imaginative, educational, and open-ended. I love it. You could do something like this regularly, or now and again if you're stuck for a program!

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

I expanded the topic to include sharing pedagogy books, biography, new materials and even welcomed teachers to bring "an idea" to share. If they chose to bring an idea, I asked them to bring a symbol of the idea also.

Ann, this is really wonderful! So imaginative, educational, and open-ended. I love it. You could do something like this regularly, or now and again if you're stuck for a program!

Thanks Peter. Your post has made my day!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission