2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 393 of 425 1 2 391 392 393 394 395 424 425
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gorgeous, beautiful sweet bird!!!! A magnificent crest! Thanks for posting his photo. Suits his name as well LOL

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks! laugh

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I want one now LOL

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
They are wonderful pets! smile Very affectionate and sociable (he asks for cuddles non-stop).
There is a lot of info here, as well as cool photos. 3hearts

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sweet!

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Really cute bird, but I don't recall Chopin ever expressing any emotional leanings toward our feathered friends. He did, however, like little white dogs and was also partial to toddlers.

That life-size cutout of Chopin would freak me out! Just how do they ship it? Do they have to fold it somewhere? I can't bear to think of that at all.

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 11/08/12 02:42 PM.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L

A litte white dog.

This is the character that keeps me from practicing. She whines!! Sorry it's so big. I forgot how to insert stuff. It's been a while.

Kathleen
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awww fluffy alert! A Bichon Frise! So cute!!! What's her name?

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/08/12 04:06 PM.
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I've posted her pic before some time ago, but since you asked....her name is Katie. And Yes, she is a Bichon. She has practically every single trait of her breed, including thinking she is smarter than I. And, at times, she is. shocked

But since I don't quite trust her in the living room where I keep my grand piano, she is relegated outside of this room by means of a child's gate. She is NOT happy about it, and she really lets me know by whining so loud and so long, I have to finally give up to save my sanity. So I have to blame my lack of progress at the keyboard on her. laugh

Thanks for asking,
Kathleen

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Cute doggie! So sweet! smile My bird also tries to keep me from practicing, so I got used to playing with him on some part of my body, or it can get much worse. Once I put him away while I was playing and he jumped on my table and threw down my stuff, turning around to look at me in defiance.
PS: I am sure I saw a cage in Chopin's room in a movie about Chopin, probably either Impromptu or A Song to Remember, one of the old ones like this, although it could also have been a documentary film? So I guess it was fiction and he never had a bird? frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Really cute bird, but I don't recall Chopin ever expressing any emotional leanings toward our feathered friends. He did, however, like little white dogs and was also partial to toddlers.

Kathleen

Little white dogs! He had good taste lol. Regarding birds- sometimes lying down listening to his music you can feel as if you are floating/flying so there might be a tenuous bird connection1

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've posted her pic before some time ago, but since you asked....her name is Katie. And Yes, she is a Bichon. She has practically every single trait of her breed, including thinking she is smarter than I. And, at times, she is. shocked

But since I don't quite trust her in the living room where I keep my grand piano, she is relegated outside of this room by means of a child's gate. She is NOT happy about it, and she really lets me know by whining so loud and so long, I have to finally give up to save my sanity. So I have to blame my lack of progress at the keyboard on her. laugh

Katie the cutie! Does she whine and bark to your playing? I had a friend years back whose dog used to howl when her boys played the harmonica LOL.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My bird also tries to keep me from practicing, so I got used to playing with him on some part of my body, or it can get much worse. Once I put him away while I was playing and he jumped on my table and threw down my stuff, turning around to look at me in defiance.

Naughty bird LOL! Hope he doesn't do his business on your music sheets!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
My bird also tries to keep me from practicing, so I got used to playing with him on some part of my body, or it can get much worse. Once I put him away while I was playing and he jumped on my table and threw down my stuff, turning around to look at me in defiance.

Naughty bird LOL! Hope he doesn't do his business on your music sheets!

No, but he once chewed the corner of Chopin's Preludes. cry I cried in horror and he flew off (also in horror). eek I don't leave anything around any more. I keep everything in the cabinet. (You can see it in the background in that photo I posted yesterday). smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

No, but he once chewed the corner of Chopin's Preludes. cry I cried in horror and he flew off (also in horror). eek I don't leave anything around any more. I keep everything in the cabinet. (You can see it in the background in that photo I posted yesterday). smile

Did he indeed? Maybe it was a sign he likes Chopin!

J
J
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Originally Posted by Mary-Rose
I have a feeling that if Chopin himself were following his thread, he'd rather enjoy this exchange on pet birds.

Did the great Frederic like birds? I have a biography on him but not read it all yet, but I doubt it'd go into that much detail- seems to be mostly about his composing.

"My good friend, I am doing everything possible to work--but it does not progress--and provided that this continues, my new productions will moreover remind you neither of the chirpings of warblers nor even of broken china. I must be resigned."

Chopin to Franchomme, 8 July 1846. The comment about warblers is often thought to allude to the trilled reprise of the B major Nocturne, op. 62 no. 1 (though we don't know this for sure).

Jeff Kallberg

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Jeff: Is there anything you don't know about Chopin or (at least) can't get your hands on really quickly? You have a phenomenal memory.

I am listening to that nocturne as I write this. One can almost float on this lovely melody as EdwardianPiano suggested. But those runs and trills are about the most beautiful, I think, I've heard in any of his music. A very special nocturne because of this.

MaryRose and I both agreed that when we were teenagers, we thought the nocturnes too sticky sweet, but now...WOW! So many have such turbulance in the middle sections. Since Chopin got his idea for the nocturnes from Field, do you know if Field's music followed (more or less) the same pattern?

So happy you are still with us. It's been quite a journey and far from over.

Kathleen

PS EdwardianPiano: No, thank goodness, Katie doesn't howl. But that whining and gruff little barks are more than enough to let me know she is NOT happy.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am listening to that nocturne as I write this. One can almost float on this lovely melody as EdwardianPiano suggested. But those runs and trills are about the most beautiful, I think, I've heard in any of his music. A very special nocturne because of this.

Ohh the ending...bliss... those trills are so so sopoforic...perfect night time before bed music. Especially by candlelight.
HEAVEN= this nocturne, quality cup coffee, organic quality chocolate, sat by open fire and in candlelight. PERFECTION!!!
I just need the open fire.....

MaryRose and I both agreed that when we were teenagers, we thought the nocturnes too sticky sweet, but now...WOW! So many have such turbulance in the middle sections. Since Chopin got his idea for the nocturnes from Field, do you know if Field's music followed (more or less) the same pattern?

Nocturnes- sweetness in them yes in the melodies but never sickly. They have as you mention turbulance, moments of power, grandeur and passion. I think they are the most perfect compositions ever. Since I heard them I have heard good music but nothing that transcends Chopin's nocturnes. They are sublime. I have got a few mp3s of John Field and to my beginner's ears they do sound a similar pattern. I like his music a lot. You can find his music on Amazon.

PS EdwardianPiano: No, thank goodness, Katie doesn't howl. But that whining and gruff little barks are more than enough to let me know she is NOT happy.

Is she really that naughty in your piano room?

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/09/12 03:18 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree. Chopin's Nocturnes are just the most beautiful music ever written for me, and they kindled my love for classical music even when I was a little girl. I could listen to them non-stop! 2hearts 3hearts heart
You are right about Field's influence on Chopin. Field did inspire our friend, although of course Fred surpassed him. smile
PS: Thank you for that quote, Jeff! thumb

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have many a time listened to the nocturnes non stop! Frederic really knew how to craft sublime melodies.

Page 393 of 425 1 2 391 392 393 394 395 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission