2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I do not know, it makes sense to compare the sound of the forehead (maybe not), but you can try to compare the sound of tango, and the recorded sound of Pianoteq KORG SV1 on the basis of the MIDI file (MIDI recorded with Pianoteq and send to SV1).

So, listen to yourself, well, let us know what you think!

Var.1 (source, Pianoteq, Blutner) - http://soundcloud.com/yuripavl/tango

Var.2 (Korg SV1) -
http://soundcloud.com/yuripavl/tango-sv-1-gp

DP: Korg Sp-250,Pianoteq 5.x, TruePianos 1.9x;
Grand piano: Blutner, Muhlbach, Yamaha, iRig Pro;
Upright: Kalujanka;
English (with some problems)
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Yuri Pavlov,

I enjoyed your playing in the tango piece, and, wanted to add that the 2nd recording (Var. 2) sounds improved, over the first recording.

Critique:

The first recording is a little bit too dry and boxed-in, whereas the 2nd one has defined clarity with better reverb and resonance.

OP Offline
Thank you, pv88
Yes, the second option sounds more luxurious, but the first shows more nuances inherent in chamber music (I think)

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yuri:

When you present these types of comparisons, not disclosing the source of either tends to lend credability to the results. When you disclose the source, you introduce the possibility of bias due to pre-existing opinions about those sources.

That is similar to my wife asking her friend ..."How you do like my new dress ?"

Really ? Do you think your friend is ever going to say anything else except ..."I love it. It is beautiful !"

Want the truth ? Bring over a half dozen dresses and ask her to put them in order of how she likes them.

Anyway ....
This especially true with a controversial product like Pianoteq. Many people on this forum have expressed a great distaste for that sound. It would have been nice to get their opinions without the knowledge of which one was the Pianoteq sound. Now, that opportunity is lost and unfortunately renders (In my mind,anyway) these opinions pretty much valueless.

My opinion ?

Well, you played it very well. I thought the Pianoteq sound was richer and more mellow but both sounded fine ... just different.

Last edited by dmd; 11/05/12 10:21 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I've actually never heard a Pianoteq or a Korg piano that I really liked, and these samples don't change my mind.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I've actually never heard a Pianoteq or a Korg piano that I really liked, and these samples don't change my mind.

LOL ... I rest my case.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dmd
LOL ... I rest my case.

Honestly, I came to the samples with an open mind, hoping to like them... I never heard those particular instruments, and I always hope to hear something that will make me go wow! I really have no bias against either company, I just haven't been terribly impressed by any piano I've heard from either of them so far. I would be very happy to hear something to the contrary... unfortunately, these didn't do it.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by dmd
LOL ... I rest my case.

Honestly, I came to the samples with an open mind, hoping to like them... I never heard those particular instruments, and I always hope to hear something that will make me go wow! I really have no bias against either company, I just haven't been terribly impressed by any piano I've heard from either of them so far. I would be very happy to hear something to the contrary... unfortunately, these didn't do it.

I absolutely do not doubt your sense of fairness in this. My only point is that until things are compared with no knowledge of which products are even involved, I belive there can be no unbiased opinions. That is just the nature of things. We are all biased toward things and no amount of good intentions will free us from that bias.

Don

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I am biased against PianoTeq. But why is that? Because it sounds absolutely rubbish, that's why. So yes, I come to this from that position and listening confirms my opinion - it IS rubbish. The midrange that carries the melody just sounds like a synthesised piano - which is exactly what it is.

The Korg sounds pretty useless too.

So if you want positivity, I'm your man today!

OP Offline
My friends, I was trying to convey nuanced (staccato, piano, forte), and here Pianoteq provide maximum opportunities. Or my favorite TruePianos, or "heavy" VST-pianos unfortunately are not capable.
But I understand those who like both, and who believes that both options are bad.
Of course, for the objectivity needed to turn off all effects and do not inform about the sound engine!
I've done both options to download, so if there is a desire can compare the original sound (of course, if you want!).
Thanks for your feedback!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Regarding Pianoteq ... For years I've held the same opinion as EssBrace. It was rubbish.

But they've recently come out with their "Bluthner" clone, and it sound pretty good. It's not quite "there" yet, but I think it's the first usable Pianoteq so far.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes I agree it (PianoTeq) is improving, there's no doubt about that but it still just doesn't sound real. Some demos I've heard seem to flatter it and for few moments you can think to yourself "wow, they've cracked it!" but more careful listening reveals all the same issues albeit they are reducing over time. They'll get there one day...

It sounds as good, and in some ways perhaps better, than the Korg sounds on the other recording.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Would you like to post a MIDI file? Then I can add some recordings from Ivory.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
OP Offline
Allan,
If you think that this makes sense, please - http://www.mediafire.com/?xe03amxxxb6ai93

K
K
Originally Posted by dmd

This especially true with a controversial product like Pianoteq. Many people on this forum have expressed a great distaste for that sound. It would have been nice to get their opinions without the knowledge of which one was the Pianoteq sound. Now, that opportunity is lost and unfortunately renders (In my mind,anyway) these opinions pretty much valueless.

+1

Blind tests for the win!

My guess is that a few would be surprised of their own choices wink. Maybe including me... that's the beauty of blind tests.

Regards,
Kurt.-

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission