2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Who's already started learning holiday music? Or else, have you chosen what you're going to work on once you get your recital piece turned in? Or do you wait for the last minute?

Past years, I've waited around for the holiday inspiration to strike, which means that around December 21st I start butchering some ultra-simple carols, so they end up sounding half-decent a day or two after New Year's ( frown :holiday fail: frown ).

So this year I'm staring earlier; I figure the retailers start bringing it on right after Halloween, so maybe I should too. Thus I'm already getting going with my holiday crafts, and Christmas carols too.

So what are your holiday musical plans?

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Haven't got any as yet but I can play Jingle Bells from Alfred's LOL!

I might make some piano/music themed crimbo cards...

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Me me me! I started about 2 weeks ago.

I pulled out my "Joy of Christmas" and have been going through my favourites. I'm really pleased at how much better I can read through them compared to last year.

I don't think I'm quite ready for any sing-a-longs yet, but I am pleased with the improvement.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
In case people haven't ventured into the Piano Teachers' forum, there's a good thread over there of recommendations of holiday music for piano students.

I took a couple of recommendations from over there, and got
Christmas for All Time, Level 2 (<=sheetmusicplus link, has song list & sample pages)
(Amazon link). This book goes with the Adult Piano Adventures series.
As well as Dennis Alexander's
Christmas Piano Book, Level 2(<=sheetmusicplus link, has song list & sample pages)
(Amazon link). This book goes with Alfred's Adult All-in-One.

Aside from the teachers' recommendations, I picked these because I've enjoyed other stuff by Dennis Alexander, and the Faber's book comes with an "enhanced" CD which has accompaniments as well as MP3 demos of the pieces played as they should be... plus it has MIDI files suitable for use with Home Concert Extreme, which did indeed appear as an early birthday present. smile

B
B
tangleweeds@ How are you going to use Home Concert Extreme? Could you let us know wether it fulfills your hopes or not?

I'm asking because I have looked at their website and the geek in me is all excited, but then, what does she know. wink

Currently working on: Venetian Gondola song by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barbareola
tangleweeds@ How are you going to use Home Concert Extreme? Could you let us know wether it fulfills your hopes or not?

I'm going to go reply to this in the Home Concert Xtreme thread I started last month, just to keep both threads more on-topic for the benefit of future forum searches. So stay tuned (over there)... I'll post as soon as I'm done typing!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't forget about our annual 'Holiday Performances' thread. (Being politically correct).

It usually opens around Dec 1st and lasts as long as you can stand it.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Last year I took a break from prepping for my grade 4 exam to do Christmas pieces. I started in November with theFaber level 4 book. This year I started earlier but instead of going to the level 5 book I did level 3a-3b of Faber. I really like the Faber books and doing the slightly easier arrangements make it easier to focus on dynamics and musicality. Plus I can do more pieces in the short amount of time. So far I have Silent Night, Angels We Have Hears On High, and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Fun stuff!!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
I really like the Faber books and doing the slightly easier arrangements make it easier to focus on dynamics and musicality.

Not holiday-related, but I've been doing this in my own (self-directed) piano study. When I first returned to piano (after a year of childhood lessons many decades ago), I was hungry for ever more complexity in what I was playing. It was like having more notes made things sound better to me.

But since I read Effortless Mastery, I've actually regressed myself in terms of the difficulty level printed on the cover, so that I can play more "from the zone". I've been finding that this regression has freed up brain cells that I can use to focus more intensively on significant details like dynamics and articulation, as well as broader concerns like musicality and relaxation at the keyboard.

Back to Christmas music: are you working from the supplemental PlayTime, ChordTime etc type series (I can never keep track of them all), or some other Faber holiday books that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by tangleweeds; 11/03/12 11:20 PM. Reason: editing artifacts

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Last week my teacher mentioned that if I wanted to have something ready by Christmas, I better get started. Pulled out Christmas for All Time book 2 which I used last year. Like Casinitaly, I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it was to read through and play a song that I had worked so hard to learn last year. Even the notes seem bigger than I remember. It is so difficult for me to notice any progress, week-to-week, but maybe it is happening. That would be a great Christmas present!

[Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Found a great transcription last year of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" that I knew I'd want to learn someday, before I could even play. I plan on giving that, and some great transcriptions from here a go (http://noelnoelnoel.com/piano/piano.html); they're simple (ish) enough that I can hopefully get through them all by that time

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for that link, Bobpickle. That site looks very interesting and just about my level.

[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Tangleweeds - the Faber books have the following names for their levels:

- Pretime (primer)
- Playtime (level 1)
- Showtime (level 2a)
- chordtime (level 2b)
- Funtime (level 3a-3b) (early intermediate)
- Bigtime (level 4) (intermediate)
- Advancetime (level 5) (advanced)

I felt much like you a few months ago. I was always wanting to get to the more andvanced and complex music. But that was getting me nowhere! It wasn't until I had decided I wanted to play in a long term care residence that I realized two things

1) I didn't have many pieces in my repertoire
2) those pieces I had pushed me to my limits and I could never relax when playing them

I read somewhere you should 'perform' pieces you have mastered and are several levels below your current level. So this started me on my journey for nice easier arrangements of pieces. I did a 360 turnaround fromwanting more complex music to easier music! Back to the Christmas music I have the following:

- Funtime 3a-3b
- Bigtime 4
- Advancetime 5 (haven't played any of these yet)

- Piano Adventures Christmas book 1- I bought this for my son last year who had just started playing. This year he is able to sight read through many of the pieces and enjoying this very much.

I believe the all of the above books are Faber supplementary materials. What I like is that in each level the pieces are arranged very nicely and sound very musical. I think my son hears this too because he gets really excited playing from the Faber book.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I learnt Auld Lang Syne ages ago.

We're learning a few (simplified) Nutcracker pieces in my group lessons. I was scared when she said we were going to do christmas music (yuk!), but Nutcracker I can handle. smile

I dream of being able to string them all together and post them, but it'll probably only be one piece, maybe two.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
We're learning a few (simplified) Nutcracker pieces in my group lessons. I was scared when she said we were going to do christmas music (yuk!), but Nutcracker I can handle. smile

LOL! My teacher suggested we could work on some Xmas music a couple of weeks ago and I politely said I wasn't into Xmas- not my bag at all! Jingle Bells is enough. laugh

B
B
Started last years Christmas music really late (like the second week of December.) So this year I made sure to start earlier.
Teacher wanted me to start learning Clair de lune, last week. I showed up with Merry Christmas Darling and Happy Holidays.
Fortunately he thought it was a good idea!

The only thing preventing me from owning a Steinway & Sons produced piano, is Steinway & Sons Customer Service. They should work on that.

Fortunately the piano I want the most is sold by Steinway & Sons!
Unfortunately the piano I want the most is only sold by Steinway & Sons.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I was scared when she said we were going to do christmas music (yuk!),

LOL! My teacher suggested we could work on some Xmas music a couple of weeks ago and I politely said I wasn't into Xmas- not my bag at all! Jingle Bells is enough. laugh

It's funny, some years I really get into Christmas, and other years I want nothing to do with it. This year both my roommate and I seem to be getting into it. While I'm learning christmas music, she picked up one of those crafty die-cutting machines, and she's collecting dies for recycling old soda-pop cans into metallic snowflakes and other ornaments.

(And augh, I have several pairs of Christmas-present handmade socks to finish knitting. Back in August, it seemed like a brilliant idea to make kneesocks... the blasted things go on forever!!)

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I had my first lesson with my new teacher today. When I played Hark The Herald Angels Sing she said that was really nice. We need to get you something harder. Haha! I showed her my level 5 book and I picked Auld Lang Syne. I think I'll go back to my level 4 and pick something from there too. I love playing Christmas carols. But, I find I have to learn several per season so you don't drive yourself crazy.

F
F
I started to play from "Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course - Merry Christmas Book (Level 1)"
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...rse-Merry-Christmas-Book-Level-1/3658934

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission